My "New" Sourdough Starter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My "New" Sourdough Starter?

So I'm trying to get a starter started (again) as of last Thursday. I'm using the process in "Bread Baking" By Daniel MiMuzio. I began (1st day) with equal parts of rye flour and whole wheat and an equal mounta of H2O (1/3, 1/3, 2/3cup or 100% hydration) the first day. Then after that feeding twice a day with 1/3 cup starter, 1/3 cup bread flour and 1/2 cup H2O or 60% hydration. I'm in my fourth day and when I feed "it" I get bubbles and it smells better. I get liquid separated on the top between feedings. I don't really see it rise much if at all.
    Is this normal? Shouldn't it rise - at least some? Or am I wasting flour again?
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Just a shameless BUMP!
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?

Comment

Mark it will rise as it becomes more active. Bubbles are a good indicator and so is hooch. Actually, hooch is a great indicator. It wouldn't be there if the yeast wasn't working. Feed it every eight hours and proof it in the oven with just the light on and it should really take off.
      If it doesn't work out for you, let me know and I'll send you some of mine. Pretty sure everyone that has maintained it has had great success.

Tom

Comment

Thanks Tom!!!! The directions say to keep the starter at 70°. But I'll put it in the oven if you say so!!!
        Mark
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
          Thanks Tom!!!! The directions say to keep the starter at 70°. But I'll put it in the oven if you say so!!!
          It'll do its thing at 70° but 80 to 88° is optimal in my opinion. Oven light should keep it at around 85°.
          Once you get it going real active, put it in the fridge and feed it weekly.

Tom

Comment

Yea Bud, Thanks!! Will do!
            Mark
            sigpic

Comment

Just an addition to what Tom said, if it's thin and runny, it probably won't rise up any if at all. Once it gets a little extra flour, it has some substance to move it upward. You're going to be on a roll now (pun intended). Just remember the pics.
              sigpic
              Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
                Just an addition to what Tom said, if it's thin and runny, it probably won't rise up any if at all. Once it gets a little extra flour, it has some substance to move it upward. You're going to be on a roll now (pun intended). Just remember the pics.
                I took pics but nuttin was happenin. The hootch was the only thing that changed. Soon as the oven cools off (enchiladas verde) I'm puttin it in there. I'll take a pic before and after!
                Mark
                sigpic

Comment

Stir a little more flour in with it and see what happens. You'll want to watch it if you get too much in the bowl as it will rise up. Don't worry, you aren't going to hurt it.
                  sigpic
                  Smoke Vault 24

Comment

K.
                    Mark
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X