Beer Bread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beer Bread

This turned out really well and was very easy to make. The ingredients can be found in nearly any kitchen right now:

◦3 cups self-rising flour
    ◦3 tablespoons granulated sugar
    ◦12-ounce can or bottle of beer
    ◦2 tablespoons butter, melted

With something that easy, you might as well give it a try, right? Here's how mine went.

Note: the original recipe calls for self-rising flour. If you do not have this, simply remove 2 teaspoons from each cup of flour and add 1.5 teaspoons of baking powder and half a teaspon of salt for each cup of flour:

Here are the goods, minus the flour:

Since I had no self-rising flour, I "made" some with the baking powder and salt. After mixing in the sugar and stirring everything around thoroughly, I added the beer:

And mixed all together to form a very soft, moist dough. I didn't have any loaf pans handy, I formed a roundish loaf and set it into a warm Dutch oven that I had brushed with a small amount of melted butter, and then dribbled the 2 tablespoons of butter over the top:

I covered the dough and let it rest for a few minutes while the oven finished pre-heating.

To actually bake the bread, I decided to use a method similar to to what I used when I made my Irish soda bread:

http://foodsoftheworld.activeboards....ish-soda-bread

I set the lid of the Dutch oven (heated to 350 degrees) on top, and put everything into the oven for 30 minutes. When that time had elapsed, I removed the lid and baked an additional 15-20 minutes. By this time, the house was filling with some great fresh-baked-bread aromas!

When the time was up, I set the loaf on a rack to cool for a few minutes:

Sure looks good to me!

I deviated from the usual procedure a bit, so I wasn't sure what to expect, but this turned out really well, I think. Normally, it is baked in a loaf pan, but this seemed to work fine:

When I tried it, I was immediately rewarded with a delicious, satisfying bread that was crusty on the outside and tender inside, just like bread should be. It tasted great and is even better buttered. I can only imagine how good it would be sopping up gravy or stew!

Two suggestions for the future:

a) The Bud Light worked fine, but a fuller-bodied beer would probably be better. I'd suggest trying your favourite microbrew with this!

b) Maybe it was the Dutch oven, but the bread seemed to bake a little too fast on the bottom before the top could develop. It might be worth it to try a higher temperature, say 400 or 425, but I am not sure what the baking time would be.

In all, this was a great success, and I will make it again. I strongly recommend to all that you try it!
    Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
    Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Looks real good...but what do I do if I have a 16oz can of beer....
    Oh that was easy
    Bud Light???????? Maybe Fosters or Sam Adams!
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Thanks Tas & looks great . We make that quite a bit from the Pampered Chef box mix & its great..... I have tried it with Guiness, Bass & other darker & full bodied beers too and always come back to the light ones.

Thanks for sharing your recipe.
      sigpic

Comment

Man that looks good! I always thought beer bread could only be the mix in a "beer bottle" that all the tourist shops in the state sell
        sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Comment

Sure looks good. We make that Pampered Chef Beer Bread from time to time and we love it!
          Propane Smoke Shack
          UDS
          Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
          sigpic

Comment

Nice post! Will definitely try this sometime.
            Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
            My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
            @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Lookin good

Love beer bread with some jalapenos and cheddar thrown in and a drizzle of garlic butter on top when finished
              There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

Looks good. I will take a couple slices with a few slices of pastrami!! I am sure it will be great!!
                Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
                Yoder YS640
                Weber Genesis
                Weber 18.5" Kettle
                Weber Performer
                Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

I do like it! We use a Guinness or a good British Bitter!
                  Sunset Eagle Aviation
                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

I am going to end up just bookmarking every flipping page on this site at some point LOL! Nice post!
                    I rub it every chance I get!

QUOTE = Meat Hunter

Granted, all this is just in my head. Until I win the lotto, or my career as a stripper pays off, I'm forced to use the kitchen counter....

Comment

Looks good from here, Tas. Always looking for another bread to add to the recipe box.
                      sigpic
                      Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Next time put parchment paper on the bottom that may help. I use parchment paper with cookies and meat balls and meat loaf just to name a few with no troubles.
                        If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops,
                        Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them

Comment

Originally posted by JustSmoke2 View Post
                          Next time put parchment paper on the bottom that may help. I use parchment paper with cookies and meat balls and meat loaf just to name a few with no troubles.
                          Parchment paper in the smoker?
                          Cause meatloaf, meatballs and cookies should all get a touch of smoke to them

Well maybe not the cookies...
                          There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

MMmmmm, a nice hunk of this broken off soppin up some beef stew
                            Looks great Ron, another to add to the "to do" list lol.
                            https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

When I do meat balls I do 4 racks in my GOSM Big Block. So the lower balls don't get all the grease on them. As for meat loaf to they all get there fair share of smoke. In cookies compared to my wifes burnt bottoms and my nice golden brown is parchment paper. I even line my cake pans with parchment paper.
                              If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops,
                              Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them

Comment

Working...
                              X