Water pan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water pan

A friend of mine over here is building a smoker, or so he says. I am not even sure what kind he is building, but I am sure its an offset. Only reason I say that is he has an SnP and he said he wanted something similar but bigger. But he asked me if there was a preferred distance between the smoke surface and the top of the water pan. He had me stumped, I mean a real stumper. I didn't know how to answer, never even really thought about it. Took a look at mine and they are all about 4" from the rack, but I have never down anything else and I don't even know how I came up with 4". The only different smokers I have to go by are my Gourmet Electric and ECB and they are I guess about a foot. So does anybody know if their is a preferred distance?
    sigpic

I would say no more than a foot away from the heat source.. Kinda pointless to use it in a smoker with a SFB IMO... I tried years ago on using one in my Longhorn.. Seen no diff in the quality of the smoke.. So if he plans on trying it, have him jam it up next to the firebox inside the smoker and let it boil.. and create a bunch of steam..
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

maybe he has a water pan, corn fused with the baffles?

i have seen reverse smokers use a water.......pan sorta.............the grease catcher filled with water...........

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

By golly you two you are saying exactly what I was thinking. Never been to his place to see his SnP up close. I have had his brisket and it is good. But I didn't think that they came with a water pan, just baffles. Now I know. So now, the question with me is, why do I have a water pan down under my meat in my offset? I started my smoking with ECB back in the day and always thought they needed something in there someplace. Duhhhhhhhhhh me.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by davidmcg View Post
          So now, the question with me is, why do I have a water pan down under my meat in my offset? I started my smoking with ECB back in the day and always thought they needed something in there someplace.
          I'd think that's a drip/grease pan, Dave. A water pan there would be of little use. Come to think on it...so would a drip pan, unless it covers the entire bottom Did you buy the offset new? Came with the pan?
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I built my offset. Maybe thats when I went astray and got the drip pan confused. I thought the added humidity and heat sink was a good thing.
            sigpic

Comment

I built my offset. Maybe thats when I went astray and got the drip pan confused. I thought the added humidity and heat sink was a good thing.
              Well... if you need them it is! Go on and try a smoke without it. I really no longer use a waterpan at all in the WSM.
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

If you're burning wood, humidity will never be a problem.
                I think the "heat sink" needs to be incorporated if your smoker gets extremely hot on the firebox end, and you do a lot of cooking there.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                X