My First Bhut Jolokia - A Running Thread from Birth to Birth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Bhut Jolokia - A Running Thread from Birth to Birth

I have tried to grow Bhut Jolokia peppers a few times in the past with no success, not even germination. Partly because they were kept with my other plants as I started them indoors and the required temperatures were different but also because they can be so finicky.
    They are an extremely sensitive plant and require very specific conditions for optimal growth.

This a copy of some of their requirements I received from from one company.

"Bhut Jolokia require soil temperatures to be between 80 and 90 degrees F for proper
    germination. You may need to supply bottom heat with the aid of a propagation mat.
    Soil must be kept moderately moist, never being allowed to completely dry out and never
    allowed to become soggy.

The Bhut Jolokia can take up to 36 days just to germinate and sometimes germinate 70 days after
    planting and have a very long growing period, up to 160 days after transplanting before any
    harvest.

The Bhut Jolokia plant is also very fragile and will require staking to keep from falling over or breaking
    as the plant grows."

I came across a guy that had a beautiful Bhut plant growing and I was lucky enough to receive a fully ripe pepper which I cleaned, dried and saved the seeds from.

Even though the first plants won't go out into the garden for another Month and the Bhut will need at least 2 more Months before it is warm enough and can go in the ground I decided to start one early just for fun.

These seeds are supposed to be a more stable strain, develop into a stronger plant and produce great fruit.
    This little beauty came up in just over a week and is doing great.
    Just starting to form it's first set of true leaves

I have it in a mixture of some of my compost that I cooked in the oven (covered in foil until internal reaches 180 degrees then for a minimum of 1 hour) to kill off any bugs, eggs or fungus that may be living inside. Mixed that 50/50 with a mixture of sphagnum peat moss, perlite, and 2 kinds of limestone. It's a mixture for more sensitive plants.

Once it warms enough to where the nighttime temperature doesn't drop below 70 I will plant it int he garden and then at the end of the season save the seeds for next years crop.

I will post updates as things progress from transplanting and harvesting in Spring and Summer to seed saving in the Fall.
    There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

That's cool,Jim.Be Interested in watching this.
    sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

Somehow I think yer gonna regret this...
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

That is dedication! wow... I so do not have a green thumb and here a person can grow anything! Im excited about your lil Bhut! good luck and I can't wait to see him grow!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
            Somehow I think yer gonna regret this...
            Oh I'm not eating them, not gonna do it!

Growing for fun, to give to people to try (I'll warn them first) and to attempt to make a version of Dave's Dragon Dust cause it is so hard to get they sell out so fast.

Bhut Jolokia ABTs anyone?

sigpic

Comment

I hope you washed your hand after just looking at the bag!! That stuff is...... hot
              Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
              Yoder YS640
              Weber Genesis
              Weber 18.5" Kettle
              Weber Performer
              Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

i have never heard of a Bhut Jolokia, i take they pack heat. good luck and may the green thumb gods be with you
                sigpic
                Brown Trout Wickiup Reservoir, beautiful Central Oregon

Comment

Good luck!
                  Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                  Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                  1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                  Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                  Weber Smokey Joe
                  Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                  Pink Thermapen
                  Purple Thermapen

Comment

Originally posted by cowboysfan View Post
                    i have never heard of a Bhut Jolokia, i take they pack heat. good luck and may the green thumb gods be with you
                    It is also called Ghost Pepper. Maybe you have heard that term?
                    I rub it every chance I get!

QUOTE = Meat Hunter

Granted, all this is just in my head. Until I win the lotto, or my career as a stripper pays off, I'm forced to use the kitchen counter....

Comment

Originally posted by cowboysfan View Post
                      In 2007 they were named by Guinness Book as the worlds hottest pepper but there are 3 that have since passed it as the hottest. Currently there is one called Trinidad Scorpion that is ranked as the hottest.

To give you an idea of how hot it is...

Bell peppers are measured a 0 for heat on the Scoville scale
                      Jalapenos can be anywhere between 2,500 - 8,000
                      Habaneros anywhere from 100,000 - 350,000
                      The Bhut weighs in at 800,000 - just over 1,000,000

sigpic

Comment

Just a thought Jim, but most peppers are per-annual. If you keep it in a pot and bring it indoors you may be able to "keep it"!
                        Mark
                        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                          Just a thought Jim, but most peppers are per-annual. If you keep it in a pot and bring it indoors you may be able to "keep it"!
                          I KNOW you can. But alas and alack..the 3 year old Thai succumbed to some kinda fuggin mite... I have plenty of seeds tho :{)
                          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                            I KNOW you can. But alas and alack..the 3 year old Thai succumbed to some kinda fuggin mite... I have plenty of seeds tho :{)
                            Ohh Man! So sorry for your loss......sittin on that sack of seeds!
                            Mark
                            sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                            Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                              Had thought about that but besides the possible bug factor I have 2 main reasons for putting it in the ground.

They grow much better going in the ground gathering up the energy and nutrients from Mother Earth.

Also I like to grow and save seeds every year because each time you save a new batch of seeds they will grow better the following year and as the plant grows more accustom to your particular environment and elements it will slightly adapt and grow even better as the years and seeds saved progress.

On year 3 for my no heat jalapenos and year 2 for my aji dulce (no heat habanero)

And for anyone wondering why you would grow a no heat jalapeno (I always get asked) it was originally for my Sister who can't handle any heat but loves ABTs but then I realized it makes a great chipotle powder with all the flavor and none of the heat.
                              Have some chicken in chipotle brine right now that I don't want overly hot but want that extra smokiness of the chipotle so doing a 50/50 heat/no heat brine.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X