UDS Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UDS Build

Well, after looking high and low and calling our local cherry farmers (at least I've got some leads on wood) I finally called the old man and had him check the barn..... Low and behold! A 40 yr old drum! The beauty about this liner is, I've already scraped some off with my finger!! I'm gonna retire the old egg... although this drum is older than that thing, but I know will work better.

A chisel, my angle grinder, and a wire wheel should remove most before the burn out tomorrow. I don't want to melt or case harden it and make the problem worse. It's been used for horse and kennel feed, and I'm gonna try not to get it red hot, as I'm concerned the old, somewhat rusty metal won't like it a lot... Also, a large bung hole is on the bottom and I may be able to come up with a pretty cool vent without drilling initially. Just use one 2 1/2 vent.

No top, well it's a crazy looking top that won't work, so I may have to sacrifice my grill and use this as a grille when needed. Anyway, you'll see more pics tomorrow I'm sure. Post fire and post wash out, and prob. w/grilles. I'm still really unsure about using my grille top, as it's pretty new....

Well, back to the game... I hope there's no Anaheim fans cause you guys not only got a suspension, but fired these boys up!! I wish Bob Probert was still around....
    Attached Files
    Kettle Grille
    No name Egg smoker.. Older than me I think
    Dutch Oven
    Elec. Turkey Fryer
    Elec. Deep Fryer
    snowmobile engine hot dogs.... welcome to Michigan

Is that vague enough??? Why do you think I'm going UDS?? I'm generic!

Meat, Heat, Smoke... Anything else? Oh yeah, rub n' mop.. wait... sounds like a country/western song.

By egg, do you mean a Big Green Egg grill/smoker?

if ya need a lid, look around in the for sale ads in the paper and on Craigs list and see if somebody is either giving away or selling cheap a Weber grill. The lids for the 22" grill fit right on most of the time. But sometimes minor mods need done. If ya can't find one, there is always the Weber web page for sales and Wally world. Besides the lid, you'll have the grill itself for the drum.
    sigpic

Comment

It looks just like the big green egg, but it's not. My old man gave it to me and it's really old, but other than the finish it's just like it. I just offered it to my brother in law as I am working on this UDS and this has to work better than that thing. He'll just use it as a grille anyway, but as a smoker it doesn't work to well. Maybe if I did some mods, but It's pretty small too. I'm not happy with it.
      Kettle Grille
      No name Egg smoker.. Older than me I think
      Dutch Oven
      Elec. Turkey Fryer
      Elec. Deep Fryer
      snowmobile engine hot dogs.... welcome to Michigan

Is that vague enough??? Why do you think I'm going UDS?? I'm generic!

Meat, Heat, Smoke... Anything else? Oh yeah, rub n' mop.. wait... sounds like a country/western song.

Comment

Working...
      X