• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hasenpfeffer

Hasenpfeffer
    Braised Rabbit in Spiced Wine Sauce

From Time/Life's Foods of the World - The Cooking of Germany, 1969:

Racing hares in a hunting print form a background for the spicy rabbit stew known as Hasenpfeffer, served here with potatoes and red cabbage.

To serve 6:
    • 1/2 pound lean bacon, finely chopped
    • A 5- to 6-pound fresh rabbit or defrosted frozen mature rabbit, cut into serving pieces, or substitute two 2.5- to 3-pound fresh or defrosted frozen rabbits, cut into serving pieces
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
    • 1/2 cup flour
    • 1/2 cup finely-chopped shallots, or substitute 1/2 cup finely-chopped onions
    • 1/2 teaspoon finely-chopped garlic
    • 1 cup dry red wine
    • 1 cup chicken stock, fresh or canned
    • 2 tablespoons brandy
    • 1 teaspoon currant jelly
    • 1 small bay leaf
    • 1/8 teaspoon dried rosemary
    • 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
    • 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

In a heavy 5-quart flameproof casserole, cook the bacon over moderate heat, stirring and turning it frequently, until it is crisp. Spread the bacon out on a double thickness of paper towels to drain and set the casserole with the bacon fat aside.

Wash the rabbit quickly under cold running water and pat it thoroughly dry with paper towels. Sprinkle the pieces with salt and pepper, then dip them in flour and shake off any excess. Heat the bacon fat in the casserole over high heat until it splutters. Add the rabbit, a few pieces at a time, and brown them on all sides, regulating the heat so that they colour quickly and evenly without burning. As they are done, transfer the rabbit pieces to a plate. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of fat from the casserole and in it cook the shallots and garlic, stirring frequently, for 4 or 5 minutes, or until the shallots are soft and transparent but not brown. Pour in the wine and stock, and bring to a boil over high heat, meanwhile scraping in any brown bits clinging to the bottom and sides of the pan. Stir in the brandy, jelly, bay leaf, rosemary and thyme, and return the rabbit and any juices collected around it to the casserole. Add the drained bacon, cover the casserole tightly, and simmer over low heat for 1.5 hours, or until the rabbit is tender but not falling apart. (If you are substituting small rabbits, they may cook much faster. Test them for doneness after about 1 hour of cooking.) Pick out the bay leaf, stir in the lemon juice and taste for seasoning. The sauce should be quite peppery; add more pepper, if necessary, to taste.

Serve the rabbit directly from the casserole, or arrange the pieces attractively on a deep heated platter and pour the sauce over them.

Note: Traditionally, the sauce in which the rabbit is simmered is thickened, just before serving, with the rabbit’s blood. If you hunt and dress your own rabbit, save its blood. Stir in 1 or 2 tablespoons of vinegar to prevent it from clotting and refrigerate until ready to use. Stir the blood into the sauce after the rabbit is cooked, then simmer gently, stirring all the while, for 4 or 5 minutes, or until the sauce thickens slightly. Be careful not to let the sauce boil. Add the lemon juice, taste for seasoning and serve.
    Last edited by TasunkaWitko; 02-07-2012, 02:54 PM.
    Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
    Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Interesting recipe, never had rabbit but would definitely be game to try a spicy rabbit dish.
    Though not sure how I would feel about some rabbit blood sauce.
    There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

it looks like the good life to me ~ i may have to see if i can track down a rabbit or two and give it a shot. plenty of snowshoe hare around this time of year, so that might work as well, considering the spices.

as for the blood in the sauce, i figure if you're going to do it, you might as well do it traditional, right? can't be any worse than a lot of stuff. besides, we eat meat, and in a way, meat's full of blood, no?
      Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Originally posted by TasunkaWitko View Post
        as for the blood in the sauce, i figure if you're going to do it, you might as well do it traditional, right? can't be any worse than a lot of stuff. besides, we eat meat, and in a way, meat's full of blood, no?
        Very true.

There is a dish (forget the name of it) but it is duck and when they carve it tableside they put the carcass in this press and crank it down snapping the bones and squeezing the blood and juices out of it through a filter and a spout at the bottom, evidently that's what you use for sauce.
        There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

Note: Traditionally, the sauce in which the rabbit is simmered is thickened, just before serving, with the rabbit’s blood.
          Being of German descent, I have vivid childhood memories of Grosmutter Friebe preparing the sauce. Back then, had no choice, if it was on the plate...you ate it. Guess that's where I learned to like alotta 'different' things. Haven't had traditional Hasenpfeffer for years...this thread really rekindles some good memories.

Thanks for sharing the info Taz . Hunting season is over here but, the bunnies better beware next year!! This is goin' near the top of the to-do list!!
          Rudy

sigpic
          GOSM Big Block
          SnPP - Rehab'd after 16 years
          22.5" Weber Kettle
          Smokey Joe for the RV
          Assorted Digital Thermos
          and a ugly BROWN thermapen cuz it was on sale!

Comment

Love me some Wabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by Fire it up View Post
              Very true.

There is a dish (forget the name of it) but it is duck and when they carve it tableside they put the carcass in this press and crank it down snapping the bones and squeezing the blood and juices out of it through a filter and a spout at the bottom, evidently that's what you use for sauce.
              I think it's..."Pressed Duck"

Never had this dish, but have had a Cacciatore with rabbit... excellent. Rabbit is a good meat.
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I wouldn't describe that as a 'spicy' sauce. Basic casserole.
                But sounds pretty good

Not sure about the blood thing - more the collecting and storing than the actual use.

You don't seem to get much blood from a rabbit. Guess you'd have to cut it's throat and drain as soon as you'd shot it. Pretty much set by the time it reaches the kitchen.
                And I just can't see dave and my dad carrying around bags of rabbit blood
                Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Was, but shouldn't be when we eat it. For the most part the stuff that drains out of meat as it thaws or when we make sausage, etc. is myoglobin. A protein very closely related to hemoglobin, the oxygen and iron binding protein in blood.

Used to eat some cottontail rabbits when I was a kid and shot em. If we shot it we better plan on eating it. (made us think twice when eyballing a magpie or crow over our sights) they wre pretty good. Also have tried some jackrabbit (snowshoe hare in season), and they were damn tough. So many of the cottontails I shot later on were laced with ticks and lice I couldn't bring myself to eat them. I think thats where tuleremia comes from (the ticks I mean).
                  sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Comment

Being of mostly-German descent, this one calls to me and, considering the ingredients, I have a feeling that it would be really good. Someone has suggested that turkey thighs are a good substitute for rabbit, so I might give it a go sometime with those, if I can't come across a bunny or two.

As you can guess, this is a very old recipe, and has been a part of German culinary culture for hundreds of years. From the same source:

A cook in a puffed-sleeve doublet, shown in a 16th Century woodcut, skins a hare in preparation for the traditional Hasenpfeffer (Hasz im Pfeffer in old German), or "hare in pepper). On the stove, a bubbling pot awaits the making of the stew, a dish almost as old as German cooking itself and still popular.
                    Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

>>>Also have tried some jackrabbit (snowshoe hare in season), and they were damn tough.<<<

jim, i got to thinking about this, and i'm willing to bet this is where the slow, moist braising of the meat would really come in handy....
                      Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

A cook in a puffed-sleeve doublet, shown in a 16th Century woodcut, skins a hare
                        That's one stocky looking rabbit. And I'm sorry, when I hear Hasenpfeffer, all I can think about is a Buggs Bunny cartoon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDe8fTgVUZw

Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                        Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                        1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                        Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                        Weber Smokey Joe
                        Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                        Pink Thermapen
                        Purple Thermapen

Comment

lol - i was saving that for the post when i actually MAKE it, but...yep!
                          Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

That actually sounds good i might have to try it, but with turkey thighs. I don't like rabbit. On a side note the blood in the sauce wouldn't bother me considering that our butcher makes blood sausage. Great stuff got a recipe always wanted to try and make it. It's emulsified pork, barley, spices, and of course blood. Just thought I'd share that not a lot of people have heard of it.
                            sigpic

Comment

That looks real good, Ron!!

Now you're bringing back memories!!!

We used to eat a lot of Rabbit when my Dad was still around.
                              I think I used to have Rabbit Pie coming out of my ears---No wonder I'm hard of hearing---Huh????

We also played a lot of Pinochle and Hasenpfeffer. Hase is German (Haws is PA Dutch) for Rabbit.

Link to Game:
                              http://freepages.nostalgia.rootsweb....enpfeffer.html

Bear
                              Last edited by Bearcarver; 02-08-2012, 10:13 AM. Reason: Add Link
                              Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                              Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Working...
                              X