Injecting butts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Injecting butts

At the comps I have been to it seems many folks inject their pork butts. I have never done this, believing there is plenty of flavor in the butt and a HEAVY coat of mustard/rub I use to be sufficient to flavor the meat.

I tossed a butt on today and tried the injection route. I made it up from .5 cup of my home brew pepper vinegar, .5 cup water, 1 Tbsp honey and 1 Tbsp Kosher salt, heated to dissolve.

Will post results. Din't take a pict...looks pretty much like any butt...
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

do you brine the butts before you rub or inject?
    sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
    nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

i tried to inject butts but i guess it the ones i get they are always leakers....so i really dont inject anymore just a nice coat of mustard and rub and then overnight in the fridge.....
      Mike
      Oklahoma City
      22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
      Weber 22.5 Performer
      GOSM 3405gw
      Boomer Sooner Drum
      Maverick ET-732
      Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
      A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

Originally posted by Kyote View Post
        do you brine the butts before you rub or inject?
        Nope... altho that's something else I guess I should try. I got 4 on sale at .97/Lb. For that price... experiment time!

I am gonna cure one for a shoulder ham too. Have not tried that yet either.
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I had never injected a butt before until the last time I did them. There was a definite noticeable difference in yexture and taste. I may not do it every time I do butts, but I'll be doing it more often and experimenting with different things. Last time it was just a 50/50 mix of beef broth and Worcestershire sauce.
          sigpic

Comment

I inject my butts almost every time. I do believe there is a noticeable difference in taste and texture. Injecting the night before then bagging, 'cause they always leak for me. I like to mix a bit 'o the rub I'm using with the concoction too...gotta have a wide needle. Hope it goes well for ya Rich!
            Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
            Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

I've got one on right now that was injected with a pint of solution. Never injected before. A 50/50 mix of apple juice and Capt. Morgan Spiced rum. I'll let you know in a few hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokin' Dick View Post
                I've got one on right now that was injected with a pint of solution. Never injected before. A 50/50 mix of apple juice and Capt. Morgan Spiced rum. I'll let you know in a few hours.
                That's the Capt Dan injection I believe. I'm not a rum fan, but as stuff used in cooking as opposed to drinking generally changes flavor so much- I like his injection's flavor. His rubs and addition of sugar/honey at the foil stage is not for me, but as I mentioned..this is a comp thing. Gotta get the Judge's attention.

I'm also running this puppy hot... 270-300. Another experiment. It's already barking at 2.5 hours :{)

Comment

Sir R,
                  Thanks for the experiment, I am curious because doesn't vinegar change the texture of the meat after it is cooked if say you add it to all you pp doesn't it continue to break it down? So if you inject with a mixture of vinegar prior is it going to change the texture as well?

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Originally posted by Bbqgoddess View Post
                    Sir R,
                    Thanks for the experiment, I am curious because doesn't vinegar change the texture of the meat after it is cooked if say you add it to all you pp doesn't it continue to break it down? So if you inject with a mixture of vinegar prior is it going to change the texture as well?
                    I assume it will- however as I plan on pulling and freezing most of it, and consuming the balance in a few hours- I don't think it will be detrimental to the product.

Comment

I usually inject them. I make a home made Mojo which has a lot of orange, lime and some lemon juice. I also tend to marinade them in the Mojo as well but with the injection, it's just a matter of time and preference.

I think they are much better with the Mojo vs without. That said, I also rub them as well.
                      Pete
                      Large BGE
                      Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

I have found that when I make a strong injection it definately comes out in the meat. I love to put a dark beer in a bowl with a little bit of sugar then some black pepper and touch of garlic, Inject it all over then straight to the smoker makes a really good butt.

I don't do it every time but definately notice it when I do.

Comment

Originally posted by Abelman View Post
                          I think they are much better with the Mojo vs without. That said, I also rub them as well.

I marinade my shoulders for 3 days. I have a recipe around somewhere...
                          sigpic

Don't let your meat loaf...

http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...view=slideshow

Comment

Never done this either. I patiently await your results Rich.
                            I love this kind of stuff. In a few weeks, if the rain ever stops, I'll be adding a few recipes here that I came up with while experimenting.
                            I'm gonna have to get a smaller smoker though, so I can put it on the deck, under cover. That, or I'm building an ark.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by DangerDan View Post
                              I marinade my shoulders for 3 days. I have a recipe around somewhere...
                              Looking forward to it. This is the one I use:

8 cloves garlic, minced or just get the stuff in tube
                              3 tablespoons of fresh Lemon Juice (1 lemon)
                              1/4 cup of fresh Lime Juice (3 limes)
                              1 cup of fresh squeezed Orange Juice (4 to 5 oranges)
                              4 bay leaves
                              2 teaspoons of dried oregano
                              1 teaspoon red pepper flakes like you put on pizza
                              1 tablespoon of soy sauce or Lizano Salsa
                              2 teaspoons of brown sugar
                              1/4 cup olive oil.

Lastly, I add one chopped/minced jalapeno.
                              Pete
                              Large BGE
                              Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

Working...
                              X