smoking wood from Lowes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smoking wood from Lowes

Anyone had any issues with hickory purchased from Lowes? Like not getting the smoke flavor you thought you should be getting?
    www.nopigleftbehind.com
    -----------------------------

I bought a length of 1x6 cedar from a lumber yard to cut into planks for grilling, after they called the mill to make sure there were no chemicals added. I'd be hesitant to buy wood to cook with unless I was 100% sure it was untreated.

Comment

Originally posted by gooose53 View Post
      Anyone had any issues with hickory purchased from Lowes? Like not getting the smoke flavor you thought you should be getting?
      Yes I bought 2 bags of Hickory mini logs recently. Doesn't have any of that sweet smell during the smoke and very little flavor.

Comment

I guess it's possible the wood is fairly old and dry?
        sigpic

Modded Brinkmann Gourmet. Basic UDS. Rescued 22.5" OTS. Stubbs. B&B Oak Lump

Comment

I have had not good luck with their wood! BBq got much better when my buddy started chopping down trees and letting me take what I like... that was prior to the Yoder.....Good luck!!
          Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
          Yoder YS640
          Weber Genesis
          Weber 18.5" Kettle
          Weber Performer
          Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Besides an occasional chunk in the bag that puts off a "different than normal" smell I haven't had any issues with wood from Lowe's.
            Although I buy chunks. Our local Lowe's doesn't have any logs of any sort, just chunks and chips.
            There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X