1st drum smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st drum smoke

For those who don't know, BBQ Bubba built and then donated this drum to the GLBBQA for a raffle at last weekends practice cook at Eagle Mich.

Still trying to figure this thing out. Here is what is in it today.

2 pork tenderloins with "rich's rub" on them, wrapped with bacon. Two fatties, both italian BE sausage, one w/pepperjack and mushrooms, the other with pepperoni, cheddar and mozzy cheese, wrapped w/bacon.

Took the t-loins to 150-152, rested for 30 minutes while the rice was finishing up. Tossed some garlic toast in the toaster, easy meal befor the hockey game.

The drum is an amazing simple smoker. I know I have made alot of fun of bubba and his drum head followers, Now I am one too.

Do I like it better than the Lang? I think we know the answer to that., but for doing just a couple things, and being able to walk away from it for a couple hrs,its the way to go, I think. I have not done ribs, or longer smokes yet, but I will soon.I used left over pecan wood that Rich gave me, and I think Bubba gave it to him.Kinda nice to have friends like Rich and Bubba.

Well anyways, its going into the 3rd OT period in this game, so

GO WINGS!! ALREADY!!!
    Last edited by Capt Dan; 05-03-2009, 06:29 PM.
    Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Looks great, I have been looking for the right barrel.....
    --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
    www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

I'm thinkin ya did yer homework! Nice!
      Sunset Eagle Aviation
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Looks good. Is it really that easy with a uds? Maybe I should build one for camping.
        sigpic

Comment

Man I really need one of those for the mega butts. How long will a basket of coals last on one of those?
          sigpic

Don't let your meat loaf...

http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...view=slideshow

Comment

I'm becomming a believer to
            2-22.5'' weber
            1-18'' weber
            1 smokey joe
            22.5'' wsm
            24'' smoke vault
            1-outhouse
            Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
            Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Originally posted by DangerDan View Post
              How long will a basket of coals last on one of those?
              18+ hours easy

Dave
              CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
              UDS 1.0
              Afterburner
              Weber Performer
              Blue Thermapen
              Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
              Thermoworks Chef Alarm
              Auber Smoker Controller
              Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
              -
              "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
                18+ hours easy

Dave
                I have yet to find out, but I filled it about halfway, and smoked for about 4 hrs today, I think I used about 1/3 of what was in there.

Thanks for the comments and ideas guys.
                Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Comment

So amazingly simple and such good looking food coming off it. Almost makes me wish I still lived in Michigan (maybe not). Thanks for the pics.
                  sigpic
                  Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Dan View Post
                    I used left over pecan wood that Rich gave me, and I think Bubba gave it to him.Kinda nice to have friends like Rich and Bubba.

Well anyways, its going into the 3rd OT period in this game, so
                    Well, hell... the game din't go our way, but it sure looks like the loins went your way!

Actually, that's the tail end of some pecan that Ken (Texas-Hunter) sent me. Damned good wood. I think it's in my top 3, maybe 2!

Glad ya liked the rub...the loins look great!
                    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

The pecan smelled great while smoking,but it doesn't add alot of smoke to the meat.It's probably my fault, still trying to figure this thing out.Still had 2 of the 4 chunks left in the basket untouched by fire yet.

A couple things I need to do before next smoke with the UDS.

Build a shelf on it!

Drill a couple holes to get probes into it, instead of using the exhaust. Makes it tough to take the lid off to add meats or check things! I may also add another rack below the one thats in there for added capacity or a drip pan. I gotta think that fat dripping right onto the charcoal could creat some nasty smoke, especially if it was a butt or brisket.
                      Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Comment

The pecan smelled great while smoking,but it doesn't add alot of smoke to the meat. It's probably my fault, still trying to figure this thing out.Still had 2 of the 4 chunks left in the basket untouched by fire yet.
                        Yeah...the pecan is a mellow wood. Subtle, yet excellent. You can put more to the meat and not ruin it like hickory...or the mesquite.

A couple things I need to do before next smoke with the UDS.

Build a shelf on it!

Drill a couple holes to get probes into it, instead of using the exhaust. Makes it tough to take the lid off to add meats or check things! I may also add another rack below the one thats in there for added capacity or a drip pan. I gotta think that fat dripping right onto the charcoal could creat some nasty smoke, especially if it was a butt or brisket.
                        You da man, Dan...that would be my advice. Especially the drip catcher.
                        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by DangerDan View Post
                          Man I really need one of those for the mega butts. How long will a basket of coals last on one of those?
                          Longer than you'll need to cook anything!

Actually Dan, the fat dripping on the coals is what gives the drum its unique flavor!
                          Some like, some don't but i'd definetly try a brisket that way before adding a drip pan.

Glad to see your enjoying your drum you big drumhead!

Comment

Originally posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
                            Actually Dan, the fat dripping on the coals is what gives the drum its unique flavor!
                            Some like, some don't but i'd definetly try a brisket that way before adding a drip pan.
                            Mmmm . . . yes . . . quite intoxicating . . . wonderful aroma . . . beef (and pork) fat . . . vaporizing . . .

Oops, sorry, got to daydreaming there.

A lower rack is handy though in case you want to set your charcoal basket on it and do some grilling.

Dave
                            CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                            UDS 1.0
                            Afterburner
                            Weber Performer
                            Blue Thermapen
                            Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                            Auber Smoker Controller
                            Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                            -
                            "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Great job on your first drum run Dan!
                              Gene

sigpic

The Farm...
                              http://gardenofeatn-rhf.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X