Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrapple (Home Made)

Scrapple (Home Made)

I thought those who never saw Scrapple before would like to see this.

I wasn't involved in making this batch.
    My BIL went over to the guys place & helped him.
    The guy who made this has a big produce farm along the Delaware River, a country produce store (on his farm), and furnishes a number of roadside stands (Seasonal) with fruits & veggies.

To find out how good it is, I purchased a 6 pound block from him, for $10.
    I will be buying more next year---Very Good!!!!

This stuff is a combination of Deer & Pork---I don't know the percentages, but I think it's mostly Venison.

Below are some pictures.

Bear

Cut into thirds---One for my Son, One for my freezer, and one for our Supper:

Closer look:

Sliced as thin as possible (Fragile):

Frying the first panful:

The Bear's Supper (Had to reload my plate with Scrapple a few times):

Sorry "aboot" the beans, Rich!!!
    Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
    Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Shoot man! I was counting on a step-by-step!

Stuff looks great!
    Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
    My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
    @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Never had it Bear, is it like "Spam" or something like that
      sigpic

Comment

awesome! this is something i've read about often, most notably in james michener's CENTENNIAL, where a young mennonite man from lancaster country makes scrapple for his brothers to take to market in philadelphia ~ so i've always wanted to try it ~

i think i have a recipe somewhere ~ will let you know, if you want to give it a shot at making your own!
        Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
        Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

yeah id love to know how to make that...havent had any in years..brings back memories of when i was a kid
          i love to Smoke....Smoke meat that is..

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
            Have to send ya some Scott, sent some to salcomclubber with our holiday exchange.
            Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
            My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
            @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

nice looking cook!!
              Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
              Yoder YS640
              Weber Genesis
              Weber 18.5" Kettle
              Weber Performer
              Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinOutBack View Post
                Shoot man! I was counting on a step-by-step!

Stuff looks great!
                Sorry Jim, I got no Step by Step on this one.

Bear

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                Taste??????
                Figure a mixture of Bacon, Sausage, and Corn Meal.
                I helped a guy years ago, and his was good. Hatfield Meats (in my area) makes pretty good scrapple---It sells in local Grocery stores.

Bear

Originally posted by TasunkaWitko View Post
                awesome! this is something i've read about often, most notably in james michener's CENTENNIAL, where a young mennonite man from lancaster country makes scrapple for his brothers to take to market in philadelphia ~ so i've always wanted to try it ~

i think i have a recipe somewhere ~ will let you know, if you want to give it a shot at making your own!
                Too much work for this Old Bear!!!
                I helped a guy years ago. About 10 of us put some of the lesser parts of our Deer in the mix. The guy had a huge pot, like a Witch's pot, with a big fire under it. We all took turns stirring. Then we had to help pour it into a whole mess of various plastic containers we all brought. Had to pour it all before it cooled. Then we all took our shares home. Good stuff.

Bear

Originally posted by megastevie View Post
                yeah id love to know how to make that...havent had any in years..brings back memories of when i was a kid
                Check with "TasunkaWitko". Like I said, I helped a guy years ago----Back when I was drinking a bit (LOL). All I remember is Stirring & Pouring.

Bear
                Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Sure looks like spam
                  2-22.5'' weber
                  1-18'' weber
                  1 smokey joe
                  22.5'' wsm
                  24'' smoke vault
                  1-outhouse
                  Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
                  Smoked meathead #135

Comment

it may look like spam, but as i recall, scrapple has a goodly amount of cornmeal in it, making it more like a cross between savory, non-smoked spam and sliced/fried meatloaf. i could be wrong. it is something that is traditionally made with pork, i think, but just about any meat will do, and deer, as you can see, is often used in pennsylvania.

if there's any interest, i'll see about posting some liteary references, as well as a couple of recipes that i think i have. if someone would be interested in doing the "pictorial" and posting it at FoTW, i'd be grateful.
                    Last edited by TasunkaWitko; 02-22-2012, 12:17 PM.
                    Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
                    Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

Very interesting....I have never heard of it. It looks a lot better fried than in that big block.
                      Where to Shop -
                      www.OwensBBQ.com

Follow Tatonka Dust on Facebook -
                      https://www.facebook.com/TatonkaDust

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
                        To find out how good it is, I purchased a 6 pound block from him, for $10.
                        I will be buying more next year---Very Good!!!!
                        The first thought that crossed my mind when I read this was...
                        'If da Bear is buyin' it and not makin' his own, it must be a royal PITA to make !
                        Rudy

sigpic
                        GOSM Big Block
                        SnPP - Rehab'd after 16 years
                        22.5" Weber Kettle
                        Smokey Joe for the RV
                        Assorted Digital Thermos
                        and a ugly BROWN thermapen cuz it was on sale!

Comment

Lotta different kinds of scrapple in the stores around here (sits right next to the Pork Rolls) but never tried it before.
                          Though with your track record I would give anything ya cooked a try
                          There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

That does look interesting.....I once saw an episode of Diners Drive-ins and Dives and they made Scrapple. Maybe it would be on the FoodNetwork site...

Here's the recipe I found..

Back to Scrapple
                            Printable Area

Scrapple
                            Recipe courtesy Bette Kroening, owner of Bette's Oceanview Diner, Berkeley, CA.
                            Prep Time: 30 min Inactive Prep Time: 4 hr 0 min Cook Time: 2 hr 30 min Level:
                            Easy Serves:
                            30 servings Ingredients
                            1 whole pork butt, cut into 6 to 8 pieces
                            4 whole hocks, fresh
                            1 whole onion, peeled and cut in 1/2
                            3 stalks celery, roughly chopped
                            1 tablespoon black peppercorns
                            4 bay leaves
                            Water
                            1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
                            2 tablespoons ground black pepper
                            3 tablespoons kosher salt
                            1 tablespoon chopped sage leaves
                            3 cups white cornmeal
                            3 cups yellow cornmeal
                            Clarified butter, for pan frying
                            Applesauce or maple syrup, for serving
                            Directions
                            To a large stockpot, add the pork butt, hocks, onion, celery, peppercorns and bay leaves. Barely cover with water and simmer over low heat until the pork is tender and the meat falls off the bones, about 2 hours.

Drain and reserve the stock. Pour the solid contents onto a sheet pan so that you can easily discard the celery, onions, peppercorns, bay leaves and all of the bones. Make sure to pull the meat completely off the bones, being careful to remove all the small pieces of bone.

Add the meat to a food processor with blade attachment and pulse to coarsely chop. Don't over grind it.

Measure 1 gallon of stock and return it to the pot with the meat and cayenne, black pepper, salt, and sage. Bring to a simmer over low heat.

Add the cornmeal and stir, stir, stir. Simmer until smooth and thick, about 15 minutes or so. Add a little stock or water, if needed, to ensure a smooth texture.

Pour into 3 loaf pans and refrigerate until solid, preferably overnight.

Unmold, slice and fry in clarified butter until golden brown. Serve with applesauce or maple syrup.

This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.

Comment

Jeanie (cowgirl) has a recipe over on her blog, if I were to try it I'd try her recipe first because pretty much anything she does is great.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/.../scrapple.html
                              Mike
                              Life In Pit Row

Comment

Working...
                              X