Plan Critique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plan Critique

I'm doing my biggest smoke yet this Saturday. Not big by the standards set here of course but big for me. Three of my wife's brothers and their families so it will be 8 adults and 7 kids. I'm planning on 2 butts (the ones I have been getting from the local Safeway are usually in the 5 pound range) 3 racks of baby backs, a batch of Dutch's beans, a dozen ABTs and a dozen MOINK balls. My wife is making a potato salad, fruit salad and we will have buns available for pulled pork sammies. Butts and ribs will go on the drum (I'll be using both racks) and the beans, ABTs and MOINK balls will go on the SnP.

Guests should be arriveing at 5 and we are shooting for dinner at 6 but would like to have everything done cooking to pull, slice, etc at 5:30. I figure the wild card will be the butts, but possibly the ribs as well since I've never used the drum with both racks before.

I am figuring on the following start times . . .
    • Butts -- 6:30 am
    • Ribs -- 1 pm
    • Beans -- 2:30 pm
    • Appetizers -- 3:00 pm
    If the butts finish early -- which I am hoping they will -- I will cooler them until it is time to pull.

Do these times and quantities seem reasonable to you folks or would you make any adjustments?

Dave
    Last edited by DDave; 05-05-2009, 07:58 AM.
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Looks good to me!

Comment

yep it looks good to me too.
      sigpic
      GO GATORS.
      Raymond Cato
      MOJO SMOKEHOUSE BBQ TEAM.
      125 Gallon Stickburner yet to be named
      BBQ GRILLWARE STAINLESS CHARCOAL
      2 ecbs
      bbq pro offset
      18.5"WSM
      22" WSM
      22" WEBER OTS
      smoked meat member #57

Comment

I'd make a few more ABT's- I can't seem to keep from eating the first few ones done right off the smoker :{)
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

My only thought was wondering how you plan to arrange the butts & ribs on the drum? I am a drum rookie so this is more for my own use.

If you put the butts on the bottom rack so that they are not in the way when you add the ribs later, will it be a hassle if the butts get done fast and then you are taking the ribs on/off to get to the butts? Or would you move the butts to the top when you put the ribs in the drum that way the ribs aren't in the way when you are ready take the butts off the smoker?

Like I said, I am a UDS rookie so I am asking more for my own future reference.
          KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Im with Rich. I usually make 2 dozen and they go very quickly for 6 people.
            "I'm the 82nd Airborne, and this is as far as the bastards are going."
            PFC Martin, 325th Glider Infantry Regiment, Battle of the Buldge

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
              I'd make a few more ABT's- I can't seem to keep from eating the first few ones done right off the smoker :{)
              Good point . . . I have that tendency as well. All in the name of quality control, of course.

Originally posted by wutang View Post
              My only thought was wondering how you plan to arrange the butts & ribs on the drum? I am a drum rookie so this is more for my own use.
              My plan is to put the butts on the bottom rack and the ribs on the top rack. When I need to get to the butts, I will lift the entire top rack off and set it on a couple of bricks on a table, then do what I need to do to the butts -- probably moving the butts to a table as well so I can put the lid back on the drum while I am messing with them. (Otherwise the temp will likely run away.)

My concern at this point is that the ribs will fill up too much of the top rack and impede the airflow through the drum. If this happens, I'll either put one rack of ribs on the bottom or roll the ribs and skewer them and lay them on their side on the top rack.

Either way, there will be some shuffling involved.

Dave
              UDS 1.0
              Afterburner
              Weber Performer
              Blue Thermapen
              Thermoworks Chef Alarm
              Auber Smoker Controller
              -

Comment

From my experience using the drum I get two butts done in about 6 hours at 210 degrees and the temp of the butts is 200. I use a guru so I'm pretty sure of my temps.
                www.nopigleftbehind.com
                -----------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by gooose53 View Post
                  From my experience using the drum I get two butts done in about 6 hours at 210 degrees and the temp of the butts is 200. I use a guru so I'm pretty sure of my temps.
                  no disrespect, but that cannot be right. A guru will help you maintain temps, but something some where is not quite right. I can't even get ribs done in 6 hrs at 210 let alone butts!

DDave, I would cook them butts cap down buddy. Sounds like your timetable is about what I would do myself.
                  Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

Sounds awesome DD. Good luck. Lets see some pics of those smiling Q heads.
                    SCOTT

Comment

Woah... 6 hours? To slicing you mean? Hell, I did one last night at 270-300 and it hit about 160at the 6 hour mark. Well..it was an 8 Lb butt...
                      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                        Woah... 6 hours? To slicing you mean? Hell, I did one last night at 270-300 and it hit about 160at the 6 hour mark. Well..it was an 8 Lb butt...
                        yep, thats what I mean. I think it may have been a misprint.

Or there is a microwave built into that cooker!
                        Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

Hey Dave, I gotta jump in here too - ain't near enough ABTs for 8 adults! Like Rich, I'll have 2 or 6 devoured before guests ever see a finished dish! Do the same with any male-type in-law that happens to be standing by you at the smoker and you're short a bunch of ABT's real quick. If any of them boys have any heft to them, even quicker!
                          Lang 84 Deluxe (sold it, broke my heart)
                          Weber Performer
                          Weber 22.5" OTG
                          Weber Q Tabletop Gasser
                          Bunch of Sausage Makin' Kit
                          Big Azz BBQ Concession Trailer
                          BBQ Food Truck

Comment

When I did two butts on the drum, each close to 5 pounds, one took 8 hours and the other took 9 hours to get to 200° and that was at about 240ish center grate drum temp.

No disrespect here either, goose, but where was the guru probe? If it was close to the edge of the drum, then it would probably read 210° when the center was closer to 250° to 260°. I know on mine, when the Teltru on the side reads 200° I am about 250ish in the center, unless they were smallish butts.

Dave
                            UDS 1.0
                            Afterburner
                            Weber Performer
                            Blue Thermapen
                            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                            Auber Smoker Controller
                            -

Comment

dont forget the coleslaw for the PP sammies!!! your plan looks good dave, i know you got the ability to pull this off. remember them thermos are your friend, so if you by chance happen to start a lil early to make sure them butts are done and wrap and put in thermos, they will be nice and hot for a good long while. give you more time to eat some a them extra ABTs your gonna make!!! take some pics man!!!
                              Charbroil SFB
                              GOSM
                              MES
                              Dutch Ovens and other CI
                              Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                              Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X