The Wu-DS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Wu-DS

I finally have completed my Drum build. Here are some pics along the way. The first couple of pics are actually from a couple months ago when I started this project (yeah it took that long).

I flipped the drum over and made the removable/locking ring lid the bottom and cut out the "permanent" lid with a reciprocating saw.

Testing the fit of the kettle lid on the top (used to be the bottom)

Burned out the drum,

Made a charcoal basket out of a couple pieces of 12x24 expanded metal wrapped around a 14 inch replacement charcoal grate. Secured it with stainless steel hardware. Positioned the lower grate about 4 inches up to allow room for ash to fall out.

Towards the end of the burnout I cooked up a snack Hobo-style.

I have three intakes, each is two 3/4 inch holes cover by a flat piece of steel that rotates. I borrowed this design from a build by Jerrykr on SMF

Stainless steel hard ware for grate support. 3 bolts each for two cooking grates. The lower grate is approx 6 inches from the top.

Loaded the charcoal basket with 18 lbs of charcoal and a few wood chunks.

After grinding the inside down to bare metal. I coated the inside with vegetable oil and also sprayed with cooking spray.
    Seasoning the drum.

I put about 12-15 lit briquettes in and opened all 3 intakes fully. Temp got to over 500 degress. I was going by the thermo I installed because my digi probe stopped updating after 410.

About 6 hours later and after playing with the intakes the temps are a little under 300. So I threw on a fattie (in accordance with drum law)

Fattie is done. It is just a plain old school breakfast fattie. No stuffing (biscuits and sausage gravy for breakfast the next day)

A couple days later I got at it again. Here is a shot of the seasoned inside. A nice bronze/black coating on the inside.

Since the locking ring & removable lid are on the bottom, cleanup is easy. Just release the ring like this

And lift the body of the smoker off of the bottom lid which is sitting on caster wheels.

The lid that I removed I turned into an ash pan. I cut slits about 2 inches deep avery few inches around and folded up the flaps. It is a couple inches less in diameter than the drum and is perfect for catching/dumping out the ash.

A couple coats from some cheapo flat black spray paint.

Intalled some utensil hooks. I drilled small holes and bent the hooks in rather that resting the hooks on the top lip because they would have affected how tightly the lid would seal

Mounted a Wu-Tang emblem that my wifes little brother made for me in shop class. (it is a Wu-DS now!)

And the final product

For now it will share a lid with my kettle grill until I can find a cheap one on Craigslist or something.

Thanks for checking out my UDS build!
    Last edited by wutang; 05-06-2009, 04:31 PM.
    KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Nice build Wutang....I gotta catch up on my tractor repairs so I can start on one.
    Gene

sigpic

The Farm...
    http://gardenofeatn-rhf.blogspot.com/

Comment

Nice job! Thanks for the pic's. I'm rounding stuff up to do one myself.
      Sunset Eagle Aviation
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Good deal. Now you are part of the UDS network. I have to get mine done soon. I had not thought about flipping it upside down like that.
        sigpic

Comment

Great job got to make me one of them
          sigpicJack

Bradley Original
          Centro Electric Digital Smoker
          Walmart propane upright
          little chief electric
          7 in 1 masterbuilt
          7x7 wood/elec/propane in the works

Comment

Damn, great job and great pics taking us through it,
            Pete
            Large BGE
            Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

How much do you put in off the start do you fill your basket right up or add as needed I think that would be a problem no. I plan on building a UDS soon. Just control the temp with intake vents
              sigpicJack

Bradley Original
              Walmart propane upright
              little chief electric
              7 in 1 masterbuilt

Comment

Originally posted by Dysartsmoker View Post
                How much do you put in off the start do you fill your basket right up or add as needed I think that would be a problem no. I plan on building a UDS soon. Just control the temp with intake vents
                I filled mine up on the seasoning run because I wanted to let it get nice and hot for a long time. I would imagine I should be able to load it up full and just shut down the vents when done to save the remaining charcoal. But I am still a drum rookie and will have to have a couple more runs.
                KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Let me know how you make out
                  sigpicJack

Bradley Original
                  Walmart propane upright
                  little chief electric
                  7 in 1 masterbuilt

Comment

Originally posted by wutang View Post
                    Since the locking ring & removable lid are on the bottom, cleanup is easy. Just release the ring like this
                    Great Job !!! I especially like the idea of flipping it over for easy access to clean-up. Great Idea !!!
                    Ron

Weber Smokey Mountain
                    GOSM x 2
                    Vermont Casting Grill
                    Black Thermapen (only color available in these parts)

Comment

Originally posted by Dionysus View Post
                      Great Job !!! I especially like the idea of flipping it over for easy access to clean-up. Great Idea !!!
                      Thanks, I have seen a couple builds that did it that way and it seemed like a slick way to do it.
                      KCBS/CBJ #56408

Comment

nice job wutang, used some very good ideas and I love the emblems!!

Comment

Nice job on the drum.
                          Steve

Comment

Nice drum build!
                            sigpic

Comment

You my friend are officially a Drumhead!

Impressive build! You've done your homework.

Love the ash pan.

Comment

Working...
                              X