It ain't my fault

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It ain't my fault

For the last few weeks I've been reading a lot of the threads about all the uds smokers and kicking around the idea of building ONE. Coupla days ago I found three drums in pretty good shape. A 15, 30, and 55 gallon. Since I get a kick out of building things (especially free things) hell, I might as well go for it.

When I mentioned it to the Warden I got THE LOOK, but then she bought me a Weber Smokey Joe for my birthday to use for the small one. My two bottomless pits are getting me a 18.5 Weber for my birthday also. I found a Weber lid for the 55 at a flea market for three bucks. No pics yet but I'll get some when I get started.

Get after it Cat Daddy! Likes my UDS with the high rise rotator... I...knowed I ain't got pics loaded...Will...promise...
    Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Got a question, does everyone use one or two cooking grates in these drums or is there room for two?

Comment

Originally posted by bd354 View Post

When I mentioned it to the Warden
        I had to laugh at this, this is what my dad calls my mom. Along with "mean and nasty" and "The war department".
        Mark

Homemade 22 year old "Pro-smoker"
        Yoder YS640
        Smoke daddy
        100% Lumberjack pellets

Comment

Got a question, does everyone use one or two cooking grates in these drums or is there room for two?
          you can easily do 2 grates if you get a kettle lid.

Comment

For the last few weeks I've been reading a lot of the threads about all the uds smokers and kicking around the idea of building ONE. Coupla days ago I found three drums in pretty good shape. A 15, 30, and 55 gallon. Since I get a kick out of building things (especially free things) hell, I might as well go for it.

When I mentioned it to the Warden I got THE LOOK, but then she bought me a Weber Smokey Joe for my birthday to use for the small one. My two bottomless pits are getting me a 18.5 Weber for my birthday also. I found a Weber lid for the 55 at a flea market for three bucks. No pics yet but I'll get some when I get started.
            so, you building 3 of them? sounds like you got lids for all of them...
            Charbroil SFB
            GOSM
            MES
            Dutch Ovens and other CI
            Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
            Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

I plan to build all three though probably not all at once. This weekend when I pickup the 18.5 Weber I'll have all three lids. I want to build the 30 gal and 15 gal first and second because I'll use the smaller ones more. I have a coupla bigger smokers already but I've been wanting something smaller and this is my cheapest way. Plus everyone who has one seems to like it. I've never cooked with a uds and I want to try it. All of this kinda happened at once, finding the drums, getting the Webers for my birthday, and finding the 22.5 lid for cheap. Might get a chance to work on them some this weekend if I finish THE LIST.

Comment

I plan to build all three though probably not all at once. This weekend when I pickup the 18.5 Weber I'll have all three lids. I want to build the 30 gal and 15 gal first and second because I'll use the smaller ones more. I have a coupla bigger smokers already but I've been wanting something smaller and this is my cheapest way. Plus everyone who has one seems to like it. I've never cooked with a uds and I want to try it. All of this kinda happened at once, finding the drums, getting the Webers for my birthday, and finding the 22.5 lid for cheap. Might get a chance to work on them some this weekend if I finish THE LIST.
                I didn't a man could ever finish the list, could you tell me how that works? i have 2 racks in mine
                sigpic
                Brown Trout Wickiup Reservoir, beautiful Central Oregon

Comment

Sorry, should have said " short list" ( aka weekend list) the long list never ends. Thanks for the info on the grates.

Comment

And I got two racks in mine with a add on for a rotator...I'd get pic's...But me dern camera is with Louie & the grand daughter @ Disney World...
                    Sunset Eagle Aviation
                    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
                      And I got two racks in mine with a add on for a rotator...I'd get pic's...But me dern camera is with Louie & the grand daughter @ Disney World...
                      When ya get time (and a camera) I'd like to see some pics of the rotater. Did you make the rotater?

Comment

I say good for you and go for it.
                        sigpic

Comment

When ya get time (and a camera) I'd like to see some pics of the rotater. Did you make the rotater?
                          Rotator is a standard bbq grill one I had. Louie be back Sunday...I'll get ya the pics...Knowed gettin a bigger gig card in the camera would make me lazy!
                          And I did make the rotate get after...it's a 55 whacked down...Pic's later..
                          Sunset Eagle Aviation

Comment

I spent some time today working on the 15 gal drum. Burned it out yesterday and had to burn it again today to get the rest of the oil out. Holes drilled for the intakes and grates though I only have one meat grate. Gotta find or make another. Made a coal basket from some stuff I had in inventory. Used some high temp paint on it and that's about as far as I got.

Still need to install the intake fittings and make a bracket to hold the riser and valve. Also need to find a ash pan and make a diffuser for it. I think I'll build a stand since it's so short. Us fat people hate bending over.
                            Attached Files

Comment

I was able to finish building the smoker today except for a diffuser. Haven't found anything to make one from yet. Oh yeah gotta find an ash pan also. I was gonna season it today but the wind was more than I wanted to deal with. I made a three legged stand for it from half inch emt conduit. Decided I didn't want it sitting on the floor........ and I'm lazy.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X