First Shot At CB.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Shot At CB.

Lots of folks around here been making CB lately.
    So I figured it was time for me to give it a go.
    Picked up a 12.5 lb Loin on sale for 1.69 lb figure if I mess it up I ain’t out to much.
    Got home and started searching the CB posts to figure out what to do next. Trimmed it up a
    bit it lost about 2 lbs during this process.
    It felt so wrong trimming the fat off kinda like scraping the chocolate off a candy bar.
    I Want to try a couple different rubs so I cut it in half.
    Now for the cure I decided to go with ShooterRick’s cure recipe it sounds pretty good.

ShooterRicks’s cure recipe all rubbed in.

I let it cure for 8 days flipping bags once every day.
    At the end of day 8 I rinsed them off and soaked
    in cold water for 45 min.
    Then put them back in the frig. for a couple of hours to dry up a little.

I decided to go with a Maple syrup and brown sugar rub on one of them.
    The other got a healthy coating of Hungarian Paprika.

The only wood I had was cherry so that was what I used.
    Smoked them at 225 for about 3.5 hours.
    Took them to a internal temp of 160 I will probably be giving some away so I wanted them fully cooked.
    If I was keeping it all for myself I would have only went to 140 then fried it before eating.

OK here it is out of the smoker. (used the ECB)

I let them rest in frig. over night to firm up more before slicing.
    This is the first time I’ve got to use my slicer it worked real good.

Here’s both of them sliced up and ready for vac bags.

Thanks for looking at my CB adventure. Really it was pretty easy everyone should try it.
    Steve

Nice stuff! And I no longer trim...the fat is useful for frying. But as yours was more like a lunchmeat... I can understand the trim.

What is the recipe you used? Have a link?
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Awesome job Steve! I'm with Rich though, I got one thawing right now for CB, and I'm gonna keep the fat on this time. The last one (only one) I did I trimmed. Yours is pretty enough for
      Lang 84 Deluxe (sold it, broke my heart)
      Weber Performer
      Weber 22.5" OTG
      Weber Q Tabletop Gasser
      Bunch of Sausage Makin' Kit
      Big Azz BBQ Concession Trailer
      BBQ Food Truck

Comment

Steve,
        Great out of the gate CB! looks fabulous! YUMMY for sure!
        Get another loin quick cuz that is gonna go fast!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Man..that is just nice. I'm with the fact no trim. Working on the next round. Ya done great!
          Sunset Eagle Aviation
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Thanks everyone next time I want trim the fat.

Rich here's ShooterRicks Cure recipe I used.

Shooters’ Canadian Bacon Dry Cure Recipe
            1 TBS Morton’s Tender Quick per pound of trimmed meat
            1 tsp Raw Sugar per pound of meat

Mix and combine well with the above cure. Remember that all must be used on each cut to ensure the proper and safe amount of cure. If multiple meat cuts are used it must be mixed for each individual cut.

Mix the following per pound of trimmed meat.
            1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
            1 tsp Basil dried
            1 tsp Onion Powder
            1 tsp Garlic Powder
            1 tsp Hungarian Paprika
            1 tsp Course Black Pepper

Rub meat well with mixture and place in zip lock bag. Any remaining rub left behind should be scraped into bag. Place bag in refrigerator turning bag over daily. The temperature of your refrigerator should be below 40 degrees but above 33 degrees. The meat will feel firm when cured. Remove meat from bag after curing, rinse, and place uncovered in refrigerator overnight or until dry. Fry a thin center cut slice and if to salty rinse again in cold water for 1-2 hrs, changing water every 20 minutes. A few quartered raw potatoes in the water will absorb salt quickly. Dry again and smoke to internal temp of 140. You must cook before serving.

Note: If you smoke to an internal temp of 160 you may eat uncooked. You may glaze during the smoking process with honey, mustard, or maple syrup, if desired.

Curing times:
            You should figure 1 day cure time per ¼ inch from center of meat out. In other words measure the total thickness of the meat and divide by 2. Divide this result by 0.25. The result of this is the minimum number of days suggested to cure.

Comment

Originally posted by SixPack View Post

Curing times:
              You should figure 1 day cure time per ¼ inch from center of meat out. In other words measure the total thickness of the meat and divide by 2. Divide this result by 0.25. The result of this is the minimum number of days suggested to cure.
              7 days per inch is what is generally accepted. I think it cures a bit faster myself, but with the correct amount of cure per Lb of meat...it cannot be over-cured. Patience....

Vac-packing will increase the cure rate in my experience.
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Six Pack, you done good......
                I'll be using that recipe on my next CB, which will be real soon cause I am just about out.
                That looks awesome and great pics as well, what a hell of a slicer you got there, that one would make Hannibal Lecter jealous!
                Last edited by thepoolguy; 05-07-2009, 07:38 PM.
                20x36 BYC by Klose Modified
                36" Jenn-Air NG Grill
                22" webber
                several burners
                pool/spa (of course)
                sigpic

Comment

That's about as pretty as it gets! I'm all out of mine and need to get another one started. Wish I had your slicer.
                  sigpic
                  Smoke Vault 24

Comment

That looks great. I pulled a loin out of the freezer tonight to start thawing. I hope mine comes out as good as yours.
                    KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

That is fantastic.
                      sigpic

Comment

Great job. Definitely point worthy. Good stuff isn't it? Better figure out what the next batch will be, 'cause you'll be making it soon. Lol.
                        S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                        CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                        New Braunfels Bandera
                        UniFlame Gas Grill
                        Lil Chief

Comment

nice job. that looks great
                          Custom Reverse Flow Smoker, WSM 22", Blackstone Griddle 36"

Comment

Working...
                          X