Temp question on Shrimp ABT's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temp question on Shrimp ABT's

This evening we are bringing 42 shrimp abt's to a potluck family get together for my wife's grandma. My thoughts are to put good smoke to them for an hour or so with the Yoder set at 150º and then just turning up to 225º till the bacon looks right. My wife thinks 150º is unsafe temp for the shrimp and we should just go 225º to 250º straight through putting much less smoke on them. I tried doing a little research and got no where so decided to get the answer here at the best forum for smoking/food safety questions on the internet!
    --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
    www.OwensBBQ.com

Shrimp are cooked at aboot 120°. You take them to 150 you will be chewing rubber. The problem is the bacon, hard to cook the bacon and not overcook the shrimp. Ahhhhh, finally a use for pre-cooked bacon!!!
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

I always nuke my bacon halfway done before wrapping shrimp or scallops with it.

Comment

My temps listed in the original post are smokers temps, not internal food temps. Reason I want to run 150º or so is pellet poopers put out much more smoke at temps under 225º. I guess if I go my wifes preferred temp route I could add an A-MAZE-N for more smoke...
        www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

IMO the best way to make ABT's is indirect smoke-grill on the kettle, where the higher temps cook the bacon crispy, faster & no need to semi-cook your bacon, which makes wrapping the ABT's a little harder IMO. Kettle temps typically will run 375-400 when I do them & takes about 50 minutes+- to get the bacon crispy. I have made them with shrimp & mango this way & they were great. My theory on ABT's is the bacon is what needs to be the focus & everything else should fall into place Just me, others do it different.... You can get the temps on that Yoder to pretty much do it any way you want to Marty.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MichChef View Post
            I always nuke my bacon halfway done before wrapping shrimp or scallops with it.
            yeap....we always pan fry em bout half done....i do shrimp abt's all the time and smoke em at 250 with no issues....tender as a old maids love!

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

21 Jalapeno Poppers

-----

21 shrimp seasoned with Louisiana Cajun

-----

42 poppers with Philadelphia Cream Cheese and shrimp

-----

42 poppers with Piladelphia Cream Cheese and shrimp wrapped in bacon

-----

42 poppers with Piladelphia Cream Cheese and shrimp wrapped in bacon and on the Yoder set at 250º with the A-MAZE-N for a little additional oak smoke. I love the rack room of the YS640, there is still room on this rack and I don't even have the second shelf rack in.

-----

Another thing I love about the Yoder YS640, shut the lid and forget it; go take a shower and get ready to bring the shrimp abt's to the birthday party.
              -----

Oh and our crazy Golden Retriever "Grissom" is already in the St Patty's partying mood!

www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Hehe- go dog go! I'm doin' 40 ABT's next weekend for Marktee's B-day party... gotta remember to wear gloves...
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Killer ABT's
                  sigpic

Comment

yeah shrimp cook so quick I really wouldn't worry about it.

Had no idea it was st paddys day, until a short while ago.

England just destroyed the irish in the final match of the six natuons rugby tournament this evening, so that'll put a damper on things in dublin !
                    what a shame
                    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                      England just destroyed the irish in the final match of the six natuons rugby tournament this evening, so that'll put a damper on things in dublin !
                      what a shame
                      Somehow..I don't think it'll matter much... they'll just be drinking to get over it..the result will be the same.

Irish 7 course dinner: 6 Guinness and a boiled potato.

I'm partial to Murphey's meself.
                      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Shrimp filled ABT's are done!

www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Nice looking ABTs!!! Those look great and you will be very welcome at that party!! Nice job!!
                          Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
                          Yoder YS640
                          Weber Genesis
                          Weber 18.5" Kettle
                          Weber Performer
                          Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Marty those came out beatiful! nicely done! you two have fun at the party! Slainte!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Working...
                            X