Smoked Me Some Cheese - First Try...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoked Me Some Cheese - First Try...

Today started out cold & rainy so... I figured that it would be a good day for trying to smoke some cheese. This is probably the last chance this year to try it given that THE HEAT is just around the corner.

I don't have an A-maze-n smoker but I did come up with something that worked fairly well. I took one of those stainless steel boxes that you can use for adding smoke to a grill - you fill it with chips & set it on the coals, I used some hickory & oak. I then set one of those old electric charcoal starters under it to provide the heat...

Set out some mozzarella & cheddar on my Horizon...

Aboot an hour into the smoke, so far so good...

Then for some reason I decided to move the cheese closer to the firebox. Big mistake...

After aboot three hours I found that the cheddar tried to escape through the grate. All in all it worked fairly well. I was still able to salvage most of the cheddar.
    Thanks for lookin'.
    Attached Files

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
    Paul

After aboot three hours I found that the cheddar tried to escape through the grate - think Sir Rich has a photo of that!
    looks good from here! now wrap and set for a few.. urgh... the wait is what kills me!!! you done great Ice!! you look like a seasoned pro!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Originally posted by Bbqgoddess View Post
      ...think Sir Rich has a photo of that!
      looks good from here! now wrap and set for a few.. urgh... the wait is what kills me!!! you done great Ice!! you look like a seasoned pro!
      Seen it, thats classic.

And thanks.

My --->
      Paul

Comment

I'm giving you points for your first time, and being honest!!

Comment

Originally posted by WALLE View Post
          I'm giving you points for your first time, and being honest!!

Same thought here.I know my points are Inop but there comingTry a couple Briquettes worked for me prior to the Amazen.
          sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

looks great ice and yer right, it was a great day to smoke some chz.
            sigpic
            it's all good my friend..........

Comment

I'm giving you just for doing something I haven't even tried yet. Tracey (WALLE) gives me smoked cheese, my step son gives me smoked cheese so I don't have much reason to try it myself. Yours looks good even if it did try to escape.
              sigpic
              Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Hmm, apparently I gave you points recently cause it won't let me but Kudos for trying something new. The weather is perfect now for cold smoking so I am doing some cheese with my BBB today! nice job Iceman!
                I rub it every chance I get!

QUOTE = Meat Hunter

Granted, all this is just in my head. Until I win the lotto, or my career as a stripper pays off, I'm forced to use the kitchen counter....

Comment

Thanks guys.

That electric charcoal starter under the chip pan worked fairly well. Next time I try it I will open the intake vent more to keep the temp down.

My --->
                  Paul

Comment

Right on! Nice cheese smoke! Great ingenuity I might have to give that technique a try.
                    Thanks for sharing
                    Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
                    Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Nice job. I see smoked cheese in your horizon.

Comment

Nice work, Ice.
                        for first cheese job, ingenuity and honesty!!!
                        Rudy

sigpic
                        GOSM Big Block
                        SnPP - Rehab'd after 16 years
                        22.5" Weber Kettle
                        Smokey Joe for the RV
                        Assorted Digital Thermos
                        and a ugly BROWN thermapen cuz it was on sale!

Comment

Nice job ICE! Sometimes just the sun on the smoker is enough to melt your cheese and the higher the moisture content the lower the melting temperature. Also higher fat cheeses will melt faster than lower fat cheeses.
                          Smokers:
                          ECB -The Brinkman All-In-One Bullet type Water smoker aka -Baby Bink)Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24 Inch propane smoke (aka -Black Beauty)
                          SunJoy horizontal with left side firebox (aka - Lefty Lucy)
                          River Grille - Black Ceramic Egg (aka Black Egg)

Smoke preference:Combination of Charcoal, Hickory, Apple, Cherry & Pecan wood.

Comment

well done!

I have fun any time I smoke, but smoking cheese is the most fun for me. I love to share it with people just so I have an excuse to smoke some more!
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X