• Show
Clear All

• Halloumi

Halloumi
    1 gallon of whole milk –a cow, goat or sheep doesn't matter
    Rennet per manufactures instruction
    Salt to taste (non-iodized)

Procedure:
    1. Place milk in the bowl and add rennet dissolved in ¼ cup of pure un-chlorinated water. Mix well.

2. Allow this to set for about 30 minutes undisturbed.

3. Line the colander with the cloth and break up the curds draining the whey into the pot. Let this drain for about 30 minutes. This will also help firm up the curds.

4. While the curds are draining bring the whey to a boil.

5. Remove the curds from the cloth add place them into the boiling whey pot. Simmer them gently for 20 minutes. Eventually curds should float.

6. Remove the cheese and sprinkle with salt.

7. Fold the cheese in half and place a small weight on top. Place in a jar with a small amount of whey and refrigerate for at least a few hours before eating. This will keep for about 1 week.

The curds don't have to be pressed but they fry better and don't fall apart. Also if you want to add things like herbs, chopped onions or peppers or whatever do it at step 6 before pressing.

NOTE: if they sell Junket brand rennet in the pudding section of your grocery store it will work fine with this cheese. If not you may have to order it online and I suggest a nice liquid rennet from a place like Dairy Connections in Wisconsin. Great people I met them a few times.

http://www.dairyconnection.com/comme...og.jsp?catId=2

Get the veal rennet works better than the vegetarian stuff.
    Last edited by DeejayDebi; 03-22-2012, 12:56 PM.
    Smokers:
    ECB -The Brinkman All-In-One Bullet type Water smoker aka -Baby Bink)Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24 Inch propane smoke (aka -Black Beauty)
    SunJoy horizontal with left side firebox (aka - Lefty Lucy)
    River Grille - Black Ceramic Egg (aka Black Egg)

Smoke preference:Combination of Charcoal, Hickory, Apple, Cherry & Pecan wood.

got the rennet :-)
    so that'll make the same type of haloumi I can grill, stick on kebabs etc ?

looks striaghtforward enough
    many thanks
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

I sure thank you...i'm trying to step into this level & get after the sourdough gig better!
      Sunset Eagle Aviation
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Yep this is a basic as it gets! A nice simple high pH cheese that can be fried, boiled, baked, curried whatever. It did come from a woman from India I knew 30+ years ago in CA that was a vegan but I didn't hold that aganist her.

I really like it fried with onions, spinach and bacon best. I meal fit for a king!
        Smokers:
        ECB -The Brinkman All-In-One Bullet type Water smoker aka -Baby Bink)Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24 Inch propane smoke (aka -Black Beauty)

Comment

Originally posted by DeejayDebi View Post
          Yep this is a basic as it gets! A nice simple high pH cheese that can be fried, boiled, baked, curried whatever. It did come from a woman from India I knew 30+ years ago in CA that was a vegan but I didn't hold that aganist her.

I really like it fried with onions, spinach and bacon best. I meal fit for a king!
          Yo girl, that be good stuff. Thanks fer posten!
          Mark
          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

looks great!!
            Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
            Yoder YS640
            Weber Genesis
            Weber 18.5" Kettle
            Weber Performer
            Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Been craving this all week! So while we were at walMarrt getting prescription I picked up an extra gallon of milk to make Haloumi.

Now I do usually have much luck with WalMart milk but Haloumi seems to work with anything so I used it. Also used 3 year old expired veal rennet and calcium chloride - it still worked. A bit dry but it worked.

Okay this is the 2nd easiest cheese in the world, the first being yogurt which doesn't even have to be drained.

Cypriot Halloumi
              white, with a distinctive layered texture, similar to mozzarella, and has a salty flavour. It can be fried until brown without melting due to its higher-than-normal melting point

Ingredients:
              1 gallon fresh milk, either goats or ewe or cow
              Rennet per manufacturers instruction
              a little salt if desired

Procedure:
              Warm milk to room temperature

add rennet and leave till set (about 30 minutes.)

Break up and place resulting mass into muslin or cheese cloth.

Drain any whey from curds back into pan, leave to stand in muslin for about half an hour after which they will be firmer and in oval shape.

Meanwhile bring whey to the boil.

Once whey has come to the boil, remove soft curds from muslin and place into boiling pan. Simmer gently until the cheese floats to the top, but certainly for approximately 20 minutes.

Remove cheese, if liked, sprinkle with salt and fold in half and place a weight on top. Leave in fridge for at leave 2 hours before use.

I forgot the salt and had to break up the curds again to add it. It really needs salt.

Let it sit for a few hours in thr fridge before use. I just leave it in the cloth overnight in a bowl.

Now for the meal ...

Diced and fried up some bacon

Added some chopped onion and green peppers, finely diced garlics and let them sweat awhile with a few pinches of course black pepper, salt and canjun spice

Added a hand full of rehydrated sweet red peppers and a big bunch of pre cooked drained spinach and let that dry a bit,then scouped everything to the sides and fried some slices of haloumi

Haloumi cheese does not melt! It will brown nicely but not melt so it's great for this sort of thing. Also good in sausage but very mild.

After a light fry (some people like it almost burnt) I broke up the haloumu and mixed everything up and eat it with gusto!

I love greens but no one else here does. Jessie ate it but she wasn't real happy about it. Sometimes I do cook just to please me - not often but sometimes! ::)
              Smokers:

Comment

fantastic !

The haloumi i buy in the shops is very salty and is actually packed in brine.
                It also squeaks when you bite it :-)

But it's great on the grill or bbq.
                Traditionally it comes with a little mint mixed in. But I'm thinking paprika and garlic

Heres a thought, instead of pressing with a weight - would vacpacking it have a similiar effect ?

Definitely doing this soon
                Attached Files
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

I just put it in the cloth let it drain a bit squeeze it and turn the knot tight around itself. Just needs a little presure is all. I have never seen this in a store anywhere. Never had store bought. One thing I do like is, you can add just a few pinches of salt and taste it and then it's not really salty. I always eat it the day after I make it unless I am smoking it. Still needs the time to even out when smoked.

I think you could pretty much add anything you like and it would work.
                  Smokers:

Comment

pretty common in shops over here, but I'll grab some milk and try this tonight
                    Just hope the rennets still good lol
                    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

lmao - well first try at halloumi was kind of a non-event.

My rennet claims to have expired october 2010.
                      I tried it anyway.
                      By the time any kind of result was showing in the 5 litres of milk I'd used enough rennet for about 50 litres and it'd been standing about 5 hours. it was 03:30 I was going to bed - so I dumped the slightly thick milk.

I guess I need to buy some fresher rennet
                      Either that or add the rest of the bottle (that was it's first use by the way lol) first thing in the morning and leave it to set all day :-)

Did some kebabs on sunday: alternating cubes of halloumi with cubes of pineyapple. Liberally covered in Blues 'n' Cues rub. Pretty damn good !

So I'm definitely going to try this again with some active rennet :-)
                      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

I missed this one, sounds like what I could use in some chicken sausage I wanna work on. Yummy. Thanks for sharing. I've got the veal rennet in the fridge. Might wind up like Alex. It doesn't have an expiration date on it though. I best be buying a new batch.

Comment

Most rennets are good for a year some liquids are good for only 6 months.
                          Smokers:

Comment

Working...
                          X