Liner question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liner question

I'm building a UDS from a barrel I picked up from Ocean Nutritions, a fish oil company that makes Omega 3 capsules. I'm guessing this would be a food grade barrel. The barrel has a brownish-tan surface on the inside. I stripped the paint off the outside with Zipstrip and that cleaned up real nice. I tried to use the Zipstrip on the inside and it didn't do anything to the surface. Is this a liner I have to worry about when heated or do I burn it out before hand. Also I am going to paint it with hi-temp paint. If it has to be burned out do I do it before I paint or after?

I would wait until after you burn it to paint it. All the barrels I have used didn't have a liner so I don't have any experience with them or know what they look like for sure. You have any pictures?
    Propane Smoke Shack
    UDS
    Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
    sigpic

Comment

Cook it out first of course.
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Seen that on food grade...Not sure...Burn it Baby...I laid the last few for folks horizontal...rolled & got it clean & kept rollin...me & mister weed burner is my friend....
        Sunset Eagle Aviation
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

The dark stains are fish oil but the brown is the liner. I don't have a propane weed burner.
          Do I just build a wood fire in it and let it burn?
          Last edited by Jimr; 03-25-2012, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Yep burn babby burn!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Comment

Pallets work great for your burn.
              Propane Smoke Shack
              UDS
              Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
              sigpic

Comment

Looks like the dreaded phenolic epoxy resin liner to me.

Lots of back and forth debate on that one for sure.

I don't feel comfortable making recommendations for others not knowing the exact chemical characteristics of the liner.

But if it were me (wink, wink) I would drill the intake holes and round up the driest wood I could find and build the biggest, hottest fire in it that I could. Some sort of forced draft to the intakes might help. After the burn, I would wire wheel it as clean as I could then commence with the build.

The ultimate goal would be getting it down to bare metal but in lieu of that, following the above procedure would probably satisfy my comfort level. . . .if it were me.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15798

Dave
                CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                UDS 1.0
                Afterburner
                Weber Performer
                Blue Thermapen
                Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                Auber Smoker Controller
                Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                -
                "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
                  Some sort of forced draft to the intakes might help.
                  A shop vac with an "output" or a leaf blower comes to mind. Half of Hell's temp oughta do it.
                  In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                  Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                  Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Damn, hope it's food grade steel even. Lol . It should just burn away fine. Make some charcoal.

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                      A shop vac with an "output" or a leaf blower comes to mind. Half of Hell's temp oughta do it.
                      That's what I was thinking.

Unfortunately it didn't occur to me until AFTER the first failed burnout. Then I had all kinds of great ideas that never got tried -- 40lb bag of Lazzari lump on a rack to hold it off the bottom of the drum, forced draft, and of course, a video camera.

Dave
                      CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                      UDS 1.0
                      Afterburner
                      Weber Performer
                      Blue Thermapen
                      Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                      Auber Smoker Controller
                      Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                      -
                      "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Solved my liner problem. A friend has a small Sears sand blaster I borrowed and now I know there won't be a problem with the liner. Blasting the top 1/3 of the barrel was a breeze. The bottom 2/3...... not so much. You gotta stick your head down in there and with that sand flying around, I've got sand in orfices I didn't even know I had!!! But mask and safety glasses keep the important ones covered. I'll start a thread later to show my progress.

Comment

Working...
                        X