Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nothing says happy birthday like a Taco...Ok, maybe a Margarita, but not at work.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nothing says happy birthday like a Taco...Ok, maybe a Margarita, but not at work.

Hi Everyone,

Been really busy so I haven’t been on as much lately. Thought I would share last weekend’s smoke, because it was pretty awesome.

At work, they divide the months up and assign them to the management staff. It is up to us to do something for all of the birthdays for that month. We get lots of different things from the expected cakes and pies, to meat and cheese trays, etc. I usually like to raise the bar a little when it is my turn…I have even heard others say things like “man it really raises the bar for the rest of us when it is our turn”.

We do have a budget we work on, so I decided that we weren’t having snacks, we were having lunch! For the whole company. In fact we were having smoked meat and a taco / burrito bar.

I started on Sunday by smoking 40 lbs of boneless skinless chicken thighs. Hit ‘em with a spicy rub and smoked ‘em with a Cherry and Apple mix. While I was at it, I had a couple of Tri Tips that we’ll talk about later…Here is the Iron Maiden taking care of the smoking.

Chicken was incredible, and the tri tips were juicy, tender, and awesome! Took them off just below 140° and I was concerned that they got too hot (I was a bit distracted doing chores). But when I sliced into them they were nice and pink with a bit of pink juice coming out at each slice…PERFECT!

It was a beautiful day, so after the KU game, a bunch of neighbors came over for a driveway party of adult beverages, Tri Tip tacos, and a few good stories. I sliced the Tri Tip thin like shaved roast beast…it was incredible as a taco.

Monday we had a Taco bar at work…everyone was blown away! The chicken was frickin’ awesome and I sliced it up for each person as they came through the line. There were a lot of seconds and thirds. Best Birthday celebration at work yet…I’m a rock star at work!

Last edited by BBQ Engineer; 03-27-2012, 10:33 AM.
    BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
    Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
    I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Beauty spread, Dana... Looks like you are gonna be in trouble with the "Tubby's Sub party" crowd tho Cute Brittany spaniel!
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Wow! I wish my bosses would do something like that for our birthdays! We usually just get store bought cake or cookies.

Very nice!!!
      Mike
      Life In Pit Row

Comment

Nice!
        Is your place hiring?

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
        Paul

Comment

Great lookin grub. Looks like a success!

Comment

Well now I think you "might" have set the bar too high Looks awesome and I bet those were some happy and full co-workers
            Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
            Weber 22.5" WSM
            Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
            Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
            Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
            Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
            Weber 18.5" Kettle
            Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
            Weber Smokey Joe
            GMG Daniel Boone
            Pit Barrel Cooker
            Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
            6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
            Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
            The Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
              Cute Brittany spaniel!
              Yeah, that is the neighbor's little pup...10 weeks old. Feisty and puppy cute. I have already been on a search for that little guy back in the woods...followed their older dog down to the creek...not big enough to get back up the hill.

Hannah the Cowgirl would not have taken it well that another dog was in her territory, so we had to lock her inside.
              BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
              Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
              I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Originally posted by THE ICEMAN View Post
                Is your place hiring?
                Great job, Dana! I can't believe you sliced the chicken for each person as they came through the line. What a touch of class!!
                Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                Weber Smokey Joe
                Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                Pink Thermapen
                Purple Thermapen

Comment

You are a rockstar!!!

What a great way to show your employees some appreciation.

I am jealous and would like a job there too!!
                  Where to Shop -
                  www.OwensBBQ.com

Follow Tatonka Dust on Facebook -
                  https://www.facebook.com/TatonkaDust

Comment

Nice Feast As Always Dana
                    sigpic

Comment

Man that is a smoker load for sure. Looks like you live in a nice neighborhood with some great people. I'm sure everyone is happy at work that's for sure!!
                      Propane Smoke Shack
                      UDS
                      Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
                      sigpic

Comment

You Da Man!! You hooked your co-workers up for lunch!! Way to rock it out!! for being a wonderful co-worker!!
                        Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
                        Yoder YS640
                        Weber Genesis
                        Weber 18.5" Kettle
                        Weber Performer
                        Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Very nice! I'm glad I'm not the only one that enjoys feeding the people at work.
                          Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                          My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                          @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Dang Dana... what a friggin feast!!! Yeah, I'm on board with the rock star thang Bud... you rocked that outta the park as always sir!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Man, you really did that up right Dana! I like the idea of having a driveway party with the neighbors. Not MY neighbors mind you, but neighbors that haven't been on Jerry Springer would be nice.

Comment

Working...
                              X