• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st butt try

here is what I am going to do,

11lb pork blade boston roast
    picked up for .93 a lb.

1/2 and 1/2 vinegar and wild turkey american honey (liquer blended with pure honey and bourbon whiskey)
    will be injected into the butt top and bottom.

most fat removed and scored to the meat

slather with mustard and apply a dry rub of my own making.

wrap in plastic and keep in fridge untill sunday morn.

fire up the landmann bring to temp lay butt on with temp probe in thick part of meat trying to steer clear of phat and grissel.

try to bring to an internal temp of ???? sprizzin with apple juice and honey bourbon every ??? minutes are so while trying to keep temp in an area of 210 to 250.
    Pull out of smoker with an internal temp of ??? foil and towel, put in ice chest for ??? hours, then bring out pull meat and eat.

Hmmm is there a temp that I need to look for and foil the butt and leave on for another temp to come up???

thank you all..
    sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
    nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Originally posted by Kyote View Post
    here is what I am going to do,

11lb pork blade boston roast
    picked up for .93 a lb.

1/2 and 1/2 vinegar and wild turkey american honey (liquer blended with pure honey and bourbon whiskey)
    will be injected into the butt top and bottom.

most fat removed and scored to the meat

slather with mustard and apply a dry rub of my own making.

wrap in plastic and keep in fridge untill sunday morn.

fire up the landmann bring to temp lay butt on with temp probe in thick part of meat trying to steer clear of phat and grissel.

try to bring to an internal temp of ???? sprizzin with apple juice and honey bourbon every ??? minutes are so while trying to keep temp in an area of 210 to 250.
    Pull out of smoker with an internal temp of ??? foil and towel, put in ice chest for ??? hours, then bring out pull meat and eat.

Hmmm is there a temp that I need to look for and foil the butt and leave on for another temp to come up???

thank you all..
    If you are looking for answers to the ( ???) I would say the first ? would be 165-175 degrees internal. The 2nd ??? would be every hr after the first 4 hrs.
    The 3rd ??? would be 200-205, and finally the last ??? would 1-3 .

I would also suggest smoking it at 235-250 instead of the 210-250.

Hope it goes well for ya Kyote!
    Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

thank you Capt Dan..

lol.yea, the question marks were kinda PLEASE fill in the blanks for me. I figured some one that does this a lot more then me would breeze though the questions. thanks again...

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

One more thing, I don't stick a probe into my meats( Butts, briskets, or chucks) anymore at least untill the 5-6 hr mark. An 11 lb chunk O pork is gonna be 8-12 hrs anyways, maybe even more.Two reasons I wait.

1. There has been discussion on this site and others about pushing contamination from the outside of the meat, to the inside, were it normally would not be able to reach.Once the exterior layer reaches 150-160 degrees, it should be safe.

2. Many folks move, turn, rotate or flip their butts during the cook. Often that means pulling the probe out, and re-inserting elsewhere. When you pull it out,lots of juice runs out, never to be used again! So by waiting untill the 2nd half of the cook, there is hope that you will only need that one probe location, keeping it corked with the probe.

Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Comment

very good advice on number one. Don't know why I did not think of that, as I am normally in that thought train.

number two, I am with you there, once in don't come out till she is done.even with moving it around. I even dislike twisting it in the hole to move it. breaks the seal. messes up the deal.

again thank you for your help..please check into the forum early as I may need help again.lol. are will be passed out by the grill with a broken martini glass next to me with a charred chunk of pig in the landmann

Yes, I should have bought a smaller one for the 1st try. But I have never been known to cook small. If I bought a big lang I would be destitute in less then a year.

Comment

You'll be just fine. Don't get exited and just let the smoke waft. You are now armed with all the info you need from the Capt. One thing that is required is pictures.
            sigpic
            Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Amen on the pics............maybe a bigger martini glass too!

Don't freak out about the pig parts. They are pretty forgiving, enjoy yourself, and don't over think it. lookin forward to "the rest of the story".
              Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Comment

after finding out this may take all day.(smokin the butt) I made a gallon of flavord brine, removed most of the fat and skin from some yard byrds, and poured the brine over them. they will go on also.should be done a heck of sooner then the butt.also purchased several pounds of uncooked sausage to smoke while waiting for the butt.
                and yesterday a friend that is a produce manager at one of the stores called and had an extra case of yucca (they deliverd two and he only needed one)
                and was offering it to me for under his cost. He says I am the only one he knows that buys the stuff and he ends up tossin it unless he see's me and gives me great deals on it.
                so, I spent the rest of this fine evening peelin yucca root. way more fun then squissin puppys with yer bare feet. blanched em all and put in the freezer except for a small batch I boiled and then fried like freedom frys.

Oh yea that honey bourbon...very tasty stuff. full moon tonight, I will howl at it..

Comment

Bill? Hello? where are the pictures of your butt??
                  Hey anyone close by can go see if he is out by the smoker with the tini glass in hand? LOL!!
                  Seriously, now where is "the rest of the story"?.....

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Very good sound advise from Dan, I personally don't use probes at all, never did, you can just tell when its ready, they have all ways come off the smoker never needing a knife, and just falling off the bone!

Pictures is what gets the job done, surely you or a neighbor has a dig. camera? Si or No.......... lol We can help you down load them to the website also.

The stories are good but with no pics to back them up.... well, it never happened.......... Just Fictional Stories!!!!

Good luck to ya, Kyote!
                    20x36 BYC by Klose Modified
                    36" Jenn-Air NG Grill
                    22" webber
                    several burners
                    pool/spa (of course)
                    sigpic

Comment

goll dern,,It is at 154 degrees right now...when she hits 160--170 I foil?? then let her come on up to 200-205 then wrap and let set??

thank you..

Comment

Yes and yes......hahaha again grasshopper!
                        Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Dan View Post
                          Yes and yes......hahaha again grasshopper!

thank you master..with out your help this may be fubar..

thanks very much..Bill

ps she is lookin good..

Comment

every thing is looking good.. she hung at 154 degrees for about 4 hours she just busted out and is traveling to the 160 mark.(SLOWLY) @157 right now...will pull and foil @ 160, I believe I will put her foiled in the oven for a more consitent heat to bring her the the 200 mark then wrap and stick in the igloo for three hours.

did the yard byrds on the other grill (HOOTERS) they brined all night and I had never done brining before. they were excellent. only way to do yard byrd from now on.
                            made a fresh garden salad with chopped pecans in it. olive oil and vinegar dressing with CBP and sea salt..

sauted some andouille sausage ,bell pepper,carrots and onion. then threw in 4cps jasmine rice brought it up to temp then poured 6 cups room temp water mixed with 5 packets of knorr's SAZO'N con culantro y achiote. let come to a boil cover and simmered for 20 minutes.

I see how folks get inventive on long smokes with room still on the grill. I smoked 5lbs of rice boudin sausage, 6 lbs mis. uncooked sausage, maybe 5 lbs of assorted hot peppers a dozen ABT's. all turned out good. plenty of eat it later food.lol.

now I did take pics..a 1st also..now I have to try (later) to up load and show them there vittles off to the world.

master DAN aka capt.Dan
                            to you sir.I just need to figure out how to do that. i just says ya can give yer self points..lol.

and thanks every one else for your words of git er done.

will post how she fared on the table later..I guess that counts the most..
                            Buenos noche's (snorin smiley)

Comment

sounding good so far Bill!!! dont forget the coleslaw for them sammies and a finishing sauce... i pmd you a finishing sauce i made up is quick and ez, 3 ingreds... the only thing you may not have but for some reason i bet you do, is a good balsamic vinegar... lookin forward to them pics bud!!!
                              Charbroil SFB
                              GOSM
                              MES
                              Dutch Ovens and other CI
                              Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                              Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X