Post treatment BBQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post treatment BBQ

Many of you folks remember my friend Dave.

In Feb, he underwent Surgery for cancer in his esophagus, and had it removed, followed by Radiation for about a month. He has been feeding himself through a tube in his stomache up until last week.He got the good word from the doc that he was going to be able to eat regular food again, and he called me.
    Now we have stayed in touch pretty much weekly since his surgery,and I have even made him a bed so he can sleep on a slight incline. He has been through alot. He has never given up, and seems determined as ever to beat this cancer.

So when he called, he says, "Capt dan, you gonna fire up the smoker this weekend." I knew exactly what he wanted. So I told him of course I was and asked him what he wanted." I want it all brother" is what he said.

I laughed, because since his surgery, the most he can eat at a time would fill a dixie cup.So after a discussion, we determine that my buddy Dave would like some ribs, some fatties , and some beans.

Here they are about 4 hrs into the smoke along with beans and a couple fatties.

He comes to get the stuff, I ask him if it is to go or is he eating it here LOL. In the pre cancer days, he would polish off a whole rack of BB's and a huge pile of beans,and still be eyeballin my plate.
    He says he is takin it home, but wants a plate before he goes. 2 bones and a couple spoonfulls of beans, and my buddy was good to go. The look on his face made me want to cry. I cannot imagine going 90 days without any food, other than the stuff in a tube through the side of his belly.

Why am I posting this, to remind us all....................to take care of ourselves, and love our friends. What comes around goes around,and caring for each other costs nothing. I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend, with someone who is special to them.
    Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

That was a great thing to do Dan. Dave is very lucky to have friends like you. And you're right, what comes around, goes around.

sigpic
    Brinkman SnP-w/mods
    ECB
    GOSM
    MES for sticks and sausage
    30 yr old Weber Kettle
    Brinkman gasser

Comment

Capt Dan
      Best of luck to your friend Dave and he will be in our prayers. The smoking pics you posted look great, the food will speed up his recovery !!!
      --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
      www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Dan View Post
        Many of you folks remember my friend Dave.

In Feb, he underwent Surgery for cancer in his esophagus, and had it removed, followed by Radiation for about a month. He has been feeding himself through a tube in his stomache up until last week.He got the good word from the doc that he was going to be able to eat regular food again, and he called me.
        Now we have stayed in touch pretty much weekly since his surgery,and I have even made him a bed so he can sleep on a slight incline. He has been through alot. He has never given up, and seems determined as ever to beat this cancer.

So when he called, he says, "Capt dan, you gonna fire up the smoker this weekend." I knew exactly what he wanted. So I told him of course I was and asked him what he wanted." I want it all brother" is what he said.

I laughed, because since his surgery, the most he can eat at a time would fill a dixie cup.So after a discussion, we determine that my buddy Dave would like some ribs, some fatties , and some beans.

Here they are about 4 hrs into the smoke along with beans and a couple fatties.

He comes to get the stuff, I ask him if it is to go or is he eating it here LOL. In the pre cancer days, he would polish off a whole rack of BB's and a huge pile of beans,and still be eyeballin my plate.
        He says he is takin it home, but wants a plate before he goes. 2 bones and a couple spoonfulls of beans, and my buddy was good to go. The look on his face made me want to cry. I cannot imagine going 90 days without any food, other than the stuff in a tube through the side of his belly.

Why am I posting this, to remind us all....................to take care of ourselves, and love our friends. What comes around goes around,and caring for each other costs nothing. I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend, with someone who is special to them.
        your a good man Capt Dan.

I bet your Bud felt a brazillion times better when you fired up the lang and said lets eat bud.

the golden years AHHHH to look forward to them.

thanks for the kind words to every one.
        sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
        nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

You are truly a good friend Dan!!! They say laughter is the best medicine....but I don't they took you smoking talents into consideration. Great job, and let your friend know I am pulling for him!!!!

Comment

If that won't fix him up right nothing will! Love and Q...that's the cure!
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Chargriller Pro w. sfb
              Ducane 4100 propane grill
              Brinkman Electric

Member # 200

Comment

Capt Dan, As the others have said you are a good man. You are and will be blessed many times over. I hope you get all the blessing you deserve.
                Bill
                sigpic"Nothing could be finer than to live in Caroilna"

"Pessimism never won any battle"

"PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN"
                "PROUD TO BE A VETERAN"

Comment

Thanks for all the kind words and points folks.

My buddy Dave has been told by his doctor that he has to eat 6 times a day. Mainly because he can only eat so much(dixie cup full), so I can just picture him eating 2 bones and 4 spoonfulls of beans for the next 3 days.LOL.

He was finally able to go fishing again on friday.That was as important to him as his Q today. I am glad things are lookin up for the guy. I will tell him that you all are pullin for him. I know he appreciates it.
                  Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Comment

You're a good man, Dan. There is nothing, and I do mean nothing, like good friends.

He's going to savor every morsel. I'd hate to try and swipe a bite of that food. Just might get your arm broken. Lol.
                    S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                    CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                    New Braunfels Bandera
                    UniFlame Gas Grill
                    Lil Chief

Comment

Good show Capt! That food will put the strength back in ol' Dave faster than anything. I can sympathize as I've been eating non stop since getting out of the hosp. It's good to see Dave has such a good friend.
                      sigpic
                      Smoke Vault 24

Comment

You are a good man Dan and a helluva good friend... I pray for Dave and his continuing recovery... Hope to see you and him in a pic soon with some great fish from yall's next trip....
                        Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Wow, that is great to hear, Capt.
                          Glen
                          Large Vertical & 3 UDS (Illini drum by Bubba before he went big-time)
                          KCBS CBJ
                          Blue Thermopen
                          Profile:
                          http://www.coltecconsulting.com

Comment

for being an awesome friend to Dave. 90 days, sheesh that would drive anyone nutz
                            Brian
                            http://www.youtube.com/user/btjohnson83
                            You can follow me on twitter at
                            http://www.twitter.com/btjohnson83

CGSP w/ mods
                            38" Smoke Hollow/early fathers day gift, yay!
                            wally world kettle grill

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
                              You are a good man Dan and a helluva good friend... I pray for Dave and his continuing recovery... Hope to see you and him in a pic soon with some great fish from yall's next trip....
                              I am reserving our motel rooms for Lk Erie in a month. We are gonna take my son and fish our annual Steelheaders tourney there.I have decided to leave my boat home this year and help Dave take/use his again.He always liked to fish for the walleyes. In the past we have done very well in my boat, and taken a few trophies, but he is a good fisherman, and we will have a grand time in his boat. I promise to take alot of pics and post the results of our adventure at the end of this month!
                              Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Comment

Working...
                              X