Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Woohoo ! Bbq season has officially been opened in Castle Gresley :-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woohoo ! Bbq season has officially been opened in Castle Gresley :-)

Well the weather last week was amazing, so decided to have few friends round on yesterday afternoon for the first proper bbq of the year.
    Ended up with 10. Which is a nice social gathering without me having to work too hard to feed them :-)
    Weather did not cooperate so we ate indoors. Today it's back to being sunny and fabulous - can't win them all

Didn't take any pics of the cook - but nothing new, so if you want to see what the outlaw looks like with food in - go through my back threads :-)

Table setup:

Top left garlic bread. Potato salad with smoked sausage below that, coleslaw below that and an impromptu blackjack style bbq sauce next to the chafing dish.

Basically wanted to see how quick I could whip up a decent bbq sauce - turns out pretty much bang on 20 minutes :-)
    Started with a couple of tablespoons of caramelised onions in a jar:

Cooked that up for a couple of minutes with some garlic paste (1 large chineese clove of garlic processed with me french ceramic garlic grater plate)

Brilliant bit of kit.
    Then I added about 2/3 can of coors light (I'll cook with it but can't bring myself to drink the stuff lol)
    Then I added a decent amount of ketchup, then 2 good tsps/blobs of black treacle. A little vanilla sugar and about 1/2 tsp chinese five spice mix.
    Cooked it for about 10 minutes added worcestershire sauce to taste and job well and truly done :-)
    Damn good stuff too.

Ribs were presliced and marinated overnight in a basic terayaki sauce: equal amounts of orange juice and ketchup to 1/2 soy sauce and a good few glugs of worcestershire sauce. I also added a little cure #1 - for this kind of thing I go for about 1/2 strength. And a good squeeze of maple syrup. Well i say maple syrup, these days I actually use lyles maple flavoured golden syrup.

It's 1/4 the price of actual maple syrup, about 3 times thicker and has a stronger maple flavour.

Ribs were then cage cooked for about 2.5 hours at 275, basted with the marinade each time I turned the cage, then spread over the 2 racks that form the initial 'cage' and finished off above the coals. You don't generally get pullback till the last stage. The preslicing and over night marinading gives a different product to cooking whole racks with a rub. Just as good - but different :-)

Chicken was boned out drumsticks - haven't cooked a drumstick with the bone in since gunslinger showed us how to de-bone them :-)
    marinated overnight in a chineesey style marinade. Ginger paste, soy sauce, garlic and some other stuff i can't remember. Smoked for about 2 hours.

sausages were bacon bangers.

The salmon was some steaks 'cured' overnight with seasalt, brown sugar and dill tips 3:2:1 ratio. and had honey drizzled over as well before being clingfilmed, popped into a ziplock bag and fridged. It was then cubed and marinated with balsamic vinegar and maple syrup 50:50 mix for about an hour before cooking. Before being stuck on kebabs and flash cooked. Seriously, because it's salt cured this stuff cooks super fast !

The haloumi (not home made - trying that tonight) was sliced, lightly coated with ketchup and then liberally sprinkled with blues 'n' cues bbq rub. You then grill it - I use a nonstick silicon mesh sheet - till it's brown both sides or it's time to eat (lol)
    Damn good cheese !

The potato salad was brought by a friend and I bought the garlic bread (well it's from lidl, made with actual butter and garlic and is stupidly cheap and very tasty).

And that was my first decent bbq of 2012.

So this is just my basic bbq - any of you guys ever make it over, I'll be sure to push the boat out a bit
    Attached Files
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 04-01-2012, 02:30 PM.
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Very nice CA, Well done!
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

That looks outstanding Alex!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

That was enough to make me start drooling this morning! Good looking stuff, Alex.
        sigpic
        Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Nice looking spread of goodies, your buds definitely gotta love you for that
          Potato salad with smoked sausage? That sounds good.
          Only ever make mine the traditional southern way with taters, eggs and such but I think adding some smoked sausage sounds really good
          There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

yep it's a german thing - they pretty much use sausage in everything.

I'm not big on people bringing food to my bbq's, kinda fussy about quality lol
            But angela's potato salad is first rate :-)
            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

1 Word

sigpic

Comment

cheers for comments and points.

It's kind of interesting looking back - I only really started bbqing seriously in 2007
                Only had basic grills before then - nothing with a closeable lid, nothing costing more than about £30.
                And these days, this kind of thing I can knock out without breaking sweat.

Went to wyoming in 2007 to help build and run the worlds first serious slinging event outside of spain. I said I'd cook and do the grunt work and george did some research and bought a chargriller outlaw for me to use. I wouldn't even let him help me build it .
                First thing I did when I got back was to buy the very same bbq. Despite it costing 3x as much over here.

One hobby led me to another and here I am hoping to base a business on the food side of my life.
                You never know where something simple like two bits of cord and a patch of leather might lead :-)
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                  cheers for comments and points.

It's kind of interesting looking back - I only really started bbqing seriously in 2007
                  Only had basic grills before then - nothing with a closeable lid, nothing costing more than about £30.
                  And these days, this kind of thing I can knock out without breaking sweat.

Went to wyoming in 2007 to help build and run the worlds first serious slinging event outside of spain. I said I'd cook and do the grunt work and george did some research and bought a chargriller outlaw for me to use. I wouldn't even let him help me build it .
                  First thing I did when I got back was to buy the very same bbq. Despite it costing 3x as much over here.

One hobby led me to another and here I am hoping to base a business on the food side of my life.
                  You never know where something simple like two bits of cord and a patch of leather might lead :-)

Great story! The food looks amazing Alex. That's funny what you said about other folks bringing food to your cookouts. The ribs look fabulous and I'd eat everything except the salmon. Too strong for my taste buds.

I like country ham in my potato salad, but sausage sounds good too. Here, have some fussy, limey

Comment

That looks like a great feast.

Dave
                    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                    UDS 1.0
                    Afterburner
                    Weber Performer
                    Blue Thermapen
                    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                    Auber Smoker Controller
                    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                    -
                    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Geez Alex, you didn't invite the rest of us?
                      anyway.

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
                      Paul

Comment

Looks awesome. I've paid for food that didn't look half as good as all your stuff. And what a mix, something for everyone. Points!

Comment

Wow that's a meal worth taking the defunct SST across the pond. Great work CA. It all looks delicious.

Comment

Originally posted by THE ICEMAN View Post
                            Geez Alex, you didn't invite the rest of us?
                            anyway.
                            it's pretty much an open invitation :-)

You just have to make it to england
                            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                              ...Ended up with 10.:
                              ...wish there coulda been 11...
                              Excellent table ya prepared Alex. Lucky blokes, those 10.
                              And for the first proper bbq of the season, have some

Edit: be back tomorrow....outta points
                              Rudy

sigpic
                              GOSM Big Block
                              SnPP - Rehab'd after 16 years
                              22.5" Weber Kettle
                              Smokey Joe for the RV
                              Assorted Digital Thermos
                              and a ugly BROWN thermapen cuz it was on sale!

Comment

Working...
                              X