what to do?? Cuz I'm new... to the jerky thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what to do?? Cuz I'm new... to the jerky thing

OK, I got $100 in Cabelas gift card money... was thinking this dehydrator was a great buy:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Home-...3Bcat104294880

BUT, reading the manual it talks about PRE-cooking the meat up to 160* first real fast in the oven before putting in the machine?

I just read RICHTEE's Jerky Basics and I don't understand the whole thing.

The one thing I do understand is you cannot have the meat sitting at the "bacteria" range for long, SO, do I buy this thing while I can at a great price or do I go a different route??

Jerky Noob waiting for help...
    OKJoe's Longhorn Combo ►Traeger 575 Bronze ►Weber Q series
    ThermaPEN-Mk4 ►MEATERx2 ►FireBoard|||| and SPARK► Smokin-it Smoke Generator► INKBIRD Sous Vide► GrillGrates
    and accessories out the ying-yang

I'm a firm believer that you should use a cure in your jerky seasoning...then you don't have to worry about the danger zone...also, if you haven't tried to make jerky in your smoker, you should. Rich can hook you up with some MH jerky cure or try a Hi Mountain mix as well...it has cure in it too.

Go ahead and get the dehydrator if you are in need of one, a good deal is hard to pass up, and you will find a use for that too.

Here is a link to some jerky I made using the Mad Hunky Jerky cure...friggin' awesome.
    BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
    Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
    I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
      I'm a firm believer that you should use a cure in your jerky seasoning...then you don't have to worry about the danger zone...also, if you haven't tried to make jerky in your smoker, you should. Rich can hook you up with some MH jerky cure or try a Hi Mountain mix as well...it has cure in it too.

Go ahead and get the dehydrator if you are in need of one, a good deal is hard to pass up, and you will find a use for that too.

Here is a link to some jerky I made using the Mad Hunky Jerky cure...friggin' awesome.
      X2.... Word for Word
      sigpic

Comment

Take a look here
        http://smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3901

and here
        http://smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28

Mark
        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

I'm sorry Engineer, what was that? I spent too much time lookin at your sig...

OH!!! OK, Thnx man... Actually, I might just do it threw the smoker instead like you did, that looks like too much fun.

I dunno, that is such a bargain for that dehydrator and I know I won't use the smoker in 100 and zero degree weather... dammit.
          OKJoe's Longhorn Combo ►Traeger 575 Bronze ►Weber Q series
          ThermaPEN-Mk4 ►MEATERx2 ►FireBoard|||| and SPARK► Smokin-it Smoke Generator► INKBIRD Sous Vide► GrillGrates
          and accessories out the ying-yang

Comment

After many different combinations I have settled on a method that produces results I like very much. This is due, in part, to the heat conditions where I live. Anyways, I cure ( I always use a cure since I give a lot of jerky away and lots of kids eat it too, including mine) the jerky in the fridge with the seasonings for 24-48 hours depending on timing issues. I cold smoke the jerky for around 4 hours and then put it in the dehydrator to finish. Works wonderfully. Sometimes I have too much to fit in my dehydrator so I put some of it in the oven with the temp set on "warm" which is 170*. I prop the door open with a wooden spoon which helps keep the temp more around 150 and creates airflow.

You can try a premade jerky cure but as long as you are using the correct amount of cure, you can use whatever combination of ingredients you like. I have been trying loads of combinations in a quest for some really, really special jerkies :P Recently, I purchased a bottle of teriyaki sauce at a local Farmer's Market and them made my own teriyaki sauce. I added the liquid and appropriate amount of cure (for me using Tender Quick, it is 1/2 Tablespoon per pound of meat) to a split batch for people to sample and tell which is better. I also made some Honey Hot at the same time. Really, out of one batch of jerky meat I made 6 different flavors.
            Teriyaki - farmersmarket
            Teriyaki - mine
            Before smoked, I added red pepper flakes to half of each
            I did a Honey spice one and to half of that I hit it with some extra Mad Hunky and Smitty's for heat.
            So if I'd have used a commercial cure I'd have been very limited. By doing it this way, I am able to quickly work through many variations each time I do a batch of jerky. This help me move more quickly towards something TO DIE FOR!!! Which is my goal LOL!
            I rub it every chance I get!

QUOTE = Meat Hunter

Granted, all this is just in my head. Until I win the lotto, or my career as a stripper pays off, I'm forced to use the kitchen counter....

Comment

BUY THE DEHYDRATOR !

I use mine for lots of things from jerky to snacksticks to sausage chips (seriosuly those are awesome). To making my own seasonings.

Great bits of kit and seriously versatile.

want smoked jerky ? make it in the dehydrator and then just cold smoke for a few hours and pack.
              Cheaper, easier and less hassle than making it in the smoker.
              Same deal with snack sticks.

Only thing to check - what's the highest temp that thing goes to ?
              Ideally you want as close to 160 as possible.

(zooms in on manual) yep goes to 155 - that's fine - same as my excalibur.
              Pretty much ignore the food safety information in the manual - absolute nonsense :-)
              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                X2.... Word for Word
                X 3.........Word for word for word!!!
                Don..

2 of me best buds ever! R.I.P guys

Comment

I would not get that unit as if you wanted to take a tray out you now have a gaping whole in the front for the heat to channel to.
                  The USDA say even with cure to cook the jerky to 160*
                  I never have done so in and i would never do so. One must remember the USDA i doing rules that apply to commercial plants and they are Advisory for home use. I have changed my practice to use Cure most of the time but you should study up on the subject to make up you mind. Go to the USDA web site type in jerky and that will help you with why they say what they say.
                  Good luck and happy smoken
                  Karl
                  Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, Rage against the dying of the light.

www.wedlinydomowe.com/

http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage...ure-calculator

ExhaustedSpark
                  Disabled
                  Member American Legion
                  Life Member NRA
                  Life Member ARRL

Comment

I see a lot of advice regarding smoking the jerky and then sticking in the oven. This is just backward to what the USDA says. They believe the nasties get immune to the heat unless you cook to 160* first and then smoke and or Dry. Remember your smoker is a dehydrator. It is a box with a heating source = Dehydrator
                    Used to make one out of a cardboard box and light bulb.
                    Happy Smokin
                    Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, Rage against the dying of the light.

www.wedlinydomowe.com/

http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage...ure-calculator

ExhaustedSpark
                    Disabled
                    Member American Legion
                    Life Member NRA
                    Life Member ARRL

Comment

Originally posted by ExhaustedSpark View Post
                      I see a lot of advice regarding smoking the jerky and then sticking in the oven. This is just backward to what the USDA says. They believe the nasties get immune to the heat unless you cook to 160* first and then smoke and or Dry. Remember your smoker is a dehydrator. It is a box with a heating source = Dehydrator
                      Used to make one out of a cardboard box and light bulb.
                      Happy Smokin
                      This is what the curing compound is for... keeping nasties at bay during the smoke/dry process...and then they cant grow anyway, because there is too much salt/sugar and not enough moisture in the product to let them.

USE CURE
                      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Working...
                      X