Pellicle Formation Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pellicle Formation Options

I'm hoping to get some salmon smoked this weekend. Planning on using Bearcarver's method as outlined here.

One potential problem though . . . I don't have a spare fridge. If I put the fish on smoker racks and leave them over night unwrapped in the house fridge, will the entire fridge smell like fish? That would make Mrs. DDave very angry which would not be good for me.

If so, what other options are there?

Thanks.

Dave
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Probably would stink up the fridge.
    I know when I was doing my bacon I found out you can put a fan on the meat for a few hours and that will help to form a pellicle.
    You could probably also set it outside if it's cold enough but would need some kind of netting to keep the bugs out but your best bet would probably be the fan on the fish I'm guessing.
    There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fire it up View Post
      You could probably also set it outside if it's cold enough
      Not cold enough. It's 63° right now.

And no cure in the brine . . .

Put 1/2 quart of apple juice in a pot on the stove, bringing to low boil & then down to simmer.
      Add to this;
      6 ounces of soy sauce
      1/2 cup of non-iodized salt
      1/2 cup of brown sugar
      1/2 tsp of Garlic powder
      1/2 tsp of Onion powder
      1/2 tsp of Cayenne pepper
      1/2 tsp of Dried Bay Leaf Flakes (or 2 or 3 fresh bay leaves)
      At least none that I can ascertain.

I could add some TQ I guess . . . but how much?

Dave
      UDS 1.0
      Afterburner
      Weber Performer
      Blue Thermapen
      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
      Auber Smoker Controller
      -

Comment

Dave, I have been smoking fish by myself for over 30 years, since high school days & have been around it since I was a wee lad & have done probably a couple hundred pounds of fish..... That said, I am giving you my opinion & that of nobody else & am in no way an expert on it..... I have never used any type of "cure" (#1, #2 , TQ, etc)..... The only things that I could see that would act as a "preservative" are salt based (salt, soy sauce, etc), sugar (maybe?) and the smoke itself...... I have done both dry brines & wet brines & had sucess & failures with both.... I have returned to the dry brine with Kosher or food grade rock salt for the past 10 years or so & will include sugars (plain & brown) if in the mood..... Dry brines take aboot 2-3 hours......Wet brines longer.... Both ways I will put my racked fish in front of a fan for at least 2 hours to let the pelicle form, or get a good start before smoking..... Just me, lots of ways to skin a Gator

All that BS said...... Bear's method looks fantastic!!!
        Last edited by Fishawn; 04-03-2012, 09:03 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

Just start out cooking low temp for a half hour 90-100 vents open. It should dry close enough

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
            Dave, I have been smoking fish by myself for over 30 years, since high school days & have been around it since I was a wee lad & have done probably a couple hundred pounds of fish..... That said, I am giving you my opinion & that of nobody else & am in no way an expert on it..... I have never used any type of "cure" (#1, #2 , TQ, etc)..... The only things that I could see that would act as a "preservative" are salt based (salt, soy sauce, etc), sugar (maybe?) and the smoke itself...... I have done both dry brines & wet brines & had sucess & failures with both.... I have returned to the dry brine with Kosher or food grade rock salt for the past 10 years or so & will include sugars (plain & brown) if in the mood..... Dry brines take aboot 2-3 hours......Wet brines longer.... Both ways I will put my racked fish in front of a fan for at least 2 hours to let the pelicle form, or get a good start before smoking..... Just me, lots of ways to skin a Gator

X2....... This will work fine.
            Don..

2 of me best buds ever! R.I.P guys

Comment

Butt being in sunny cali it makes it tough to leave it out with a fan for coupla hours. I use a fan myself when temps are right. I think as long as its somewhat dry before adding smoke, you'll be good to go. You can't taste a pellicle. Lol

Comment

Well Scott, that's good enough for me.

Although the reference to gator concerns me .

Originally posted by SmokinLee View Post
                Just start out cooking low temp for a half hour 90-100 vents open. It should dry close enough
                My smoker only has 1 vent. I've never seen one with 90 or 100.

Butt being in sunny cali it makes it tough to leave it out with a fan for coupla hours. I use a fan myself when temps are right. I think as long as its somewhat dry before adding smoke, you'll be good to go. You can't taste a pellicle. Lol
                I'm hoping to smoke it on Friday. Forecast is for a high of 59°. If I get out of bed early enough and get them on the smoker, I can go low heat only (propane fired SnP ) for a bit before adding smoke. Or maybe even put them in the garage (to keep the dogs and the cat from getting them) with a fan running.

Both are more favorable options than having Mrs. DDave mad at me for stinking up the fridge.

Dave
                UDS 1.0
                Afterburner
                Weber Performer
                Blue Thermapen
                Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                Auber Smoker Controller
                -

Comment

You can't taste a pellicle. Lol
                  I have shot some nice pellicle in Alberta, back in the early to late 60's

Good point though Lee ...... I've had em racked up in the July-August heat after Columbia, Westport, LaPush, Cowlitz, Sekiu, etc. trips AFTER brining...... In temps probably 85-95* outside & never had a problem..... Though always did it in the shade

Here's a new thought to me..... In theory, does not the process of bringing them from a 38* brine in a cooler/fridge, into the outside temps of say 70* to 95* with a fan on them actually start the "cooking" process??? .... I say it does.... (BUTT OPEN FOR DEBATE/COMMENTS )..... Your temps on the fish will be increasing & you will be forming the pellicle at the same time..... 2 hours, your filet/chunks, etc. should be at ambient temperature or close I would think.... Never taken temps on them, but I would bet they would.
                  sigpic

Comment

haven't done fish but all this talk about pelicle........when i do bacon i never shoot for a pelicle......i know the drill but i don't have any problem getting any smoke on my bacon.
                    sigpic
                    it's all good my friend..........

Comment

I've had em racked up in the July-August heat after Columbia, Westport, LaPush, Cowlitz, Sekiu, etc. trips AFTER brining...... In temps probably 85-95* outside & never had a problem..... Though always did it in the shade
                      Good to hear. And I trust you have never blown chunks from your smoked fish or, as Fat Head Carl said in another thread, "horked it up" afterward. I appreciate the info.

And not to doubt Bear's method, just double checking for my own satisfaction.

Dave
                      UDS 1.0
                      Afterburner
                      Weber Performer
                      Blue Thermapen
                      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                      Auber Smoker Controller
                      -

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
                        Good to hear. And I trust you have never blown chunks from your smoked fish or, as Fat Head Carl said in another thread, "horked it up" afterward. I appreciate the info.

And not to doubt Bear's method, just double checking for my own satisfaction.

Dave
                        .... No, never "horked it up" but that is a great phrase

I don't wanna sound like the only way.... That's never my intention.... Just trying to give some real life situations to this thread..... Salmonclubber (Huey) & me F.I.L. are also dry briners exclusively & have never heard of anyone "horking it up" top date..... But, wet brines are awesome as well, as you know Dave..... Personally, most of the time I just wanna taste a lightly salty & sweet piece of fish & get the fish taste..... Again, that said, there are some fantastic wet brines oot their.

As always my friend, best of luck in this & keep us posted
                        sigpic

Comment

Bet your fish were real fresh too, wild caught and kept iced. I'm not doubting you Scott.. I do try to form thee ol pellicle most of the time, but I have cheated a few times and to be honest couldnt really tell much difference in the finished product nJ

I have shot some nice .pellicle in Alberta, back in the early to late 60's

Good point though Lee ...... I've had em racked up in the July-August heat after Columbia, Westport, LaPush, Cowlitz, Sekiu, etc. trips AFTER brining...... In temps probably 85-95* outside & never had a problem..... Though always did it in the shade

Here's a new thought to me..... In theory, does not the process of bringing them from a 38* brine in a cooler/fridge, into the outside temps of say 70* to 95* with a fan on them actually start the "cooking" process??? .... I say it does.... (BUTT OPEN FOR DEBATE/COMMENTS )..... Your temps on the fish will be increasing & you will be forming the pellicle at the same time..... 2 hours, your filet/chunks, etc. should be at ambient temperature or close I would think.... Never taken temps on them, but I would bet they would.

Comment

Bet your fish were real fresh too, wild caught and kept iced. I'm not doubting you Scott.. I do try to form thee ol pellicle most of the time, but I have cheated a few times and to be honest couldnt really tell much difference in the finished product nJ
                            ...... I have too & agree with you Lee..... I guess it became cool to go this route eh?..... Maybe Alton Brown or Rich are behind this? ..... ..... I just go where "THEY" tell me
                            sigpic

Comment

Me too. Maybe we'll see some MH pellicle excellorator pellets in the near future. Anyway, good luck Dave, take pics.

Comment

Working...
                              X