High-temp paint question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High-temp paint question

I'm getting set up to paint my UDS and was wondering about primer on the barrel. I can get the paint at a local NAPA store but they don't sell a high temp primer. They said you don't need a primer with high temp paint. Well, I don't take anyone's word on that unless they have done it, so has anyone painted their UDS without primer and has the paint held up? Thanks

Originally posted by Jimr View Post
    I'm getting set up to paint my UDS and was wondering about primer on the barrel. I can get the paint at a local NAPA store but they don't sell a high temp primer. They said you don't need a primer with high temp paint. Well, I don't take anyone's word on that unless they have done it, so has anyone painted their UDS without primer and has the paint held up? Thanks
    Yep. After the burn out, I wire brushed the outside (used an electric drill with one of those wire wheels), then I put on 3 coats of 1300* black paint.
    sigpic

Comment

You are good to go Jim. You don't need a primer for what ya wanna do.
      Paint that sucker and post some pics
      https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

What crewdawg said. I have hear of people useing engin paint so they can get colors.

Comment

Originally posted by michael ark View Post
          What crewdawg said. I have hear of people useing engin paint so they can get colors.
          This is true on using engine paint. Nice part is, they come in gloss where the 1300° I've only been able to find flat or satin finish. The engine paint is 500° which seems to be plenty for the UDS. I've done 7 or 8 cooks on the mini so far and it's holding up fine. No primer either. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...mString=search
          sigpic
          Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Agreed. Recently rehab'd me old SnP. Wire brush/wheel and 3 coats of high temp. No primer. Numerous cooks since...no issues.
            Rudy

sigpic
            GOSM Big Block
            SnPP - Rehab'd after 16 years
            22.5" Weber Kettle
            Smokey Joe for the RV
            Assorted Digital Thermos
            and a ugly BROWN thermapen cuz it was on sale!

Comment

One suggestion...do a heat-up without food when done...just to be sure all the volatiles are gone bye-bye.
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
                This is true on using engine paint. Nice part is, they come in gloss where the 1300° I've only been able to find flat or satin finish. The engine paint is 500° which seems to be plenty for the UDS. I've done 7 or 8 cooks on the mini so far and it's holding up fine. No primer either. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...mString=search
                I second the engine paint (or grill paint) as you can get that nice shinny glossy finish. When I first painted my drum I used the 1500 degree engine header paint and it was a very dull black/grey and I wasn't happy with it. It also seemed to rub off and I had some minor rusting as well. Last fall I grabbed some high temp grill paint from my local hardware store and now I have that nice glossy black finish that I wanted from the beginning. This stuff might have been Rust-Oleum too if I remember correctly because it isn't suppose to rust and it is suppose to prevent the little bit of rust I had on the drum from rusting as well.
                Propane Smoke Shack
                UDS
                Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
                sigpic

Comment

I hear you on the primer question. When I refurbed all the sausage stuffers I did, I repainted them with a kitchen grade epoxy paint. "No Primer", "you sure", "yep". It has held up too, but didn't seem right not priming first. Just have to accept the idea that your first dusting coats are in effect your primer. After all, what does primer do besides fill, seal and build a little.
                  sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Comment

Originally posted by michael ark View Post
                    Yep. Duplicolor Daytona Yellow.

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                    One suggestion...do a heat-up without food when done...just to be sure all the volatiles are gone bye-bye.
                    It does smell a bit the first time you heat it up.

I used the Duplicolor Hi Heat engine primer and then the Duplicolor Hi Heat Daytona Yellow over the top of that.

Probably not necessary though.

Now if your drum temp gets away on you well it can get pretty hot. But for normal smoking temps and even higher temps for poultry -- 350° + to 400° -- any paint will probably do.

Dave
                    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                    UDS 1.0
                    Afterburner
                    Weber Performer
                    Blue Thermapen
                    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                    Auber Smoker Controller
                    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                    -
                    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Working...
                    X