• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Umm I dunno about me eating these...

But $2000/Lb? Hell...I'd catch them!

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/2012-04/D9TT9IPO0.htm
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Damn! I know smoked eel is quite a delicacy in Holland and other places in Europe, but $2k a pound?!?!? Screw 'dat!
    Mike
    Life In Pit Row

Comment

Think I will stick with pork butts!!!
      Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
      Yoder YS640
      Weber Genesis
      Weber 18.5" Kettle
      Weber Performer
      Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

2000 a lb, thats just for the lil ones. according to article. well here i just copy/paste... wtf!
        "One dealer says a pound of grown eels should be worth around $30,000 on the open market."
        Charbroil SFB
        GOSM
        MES
        Dutch Ovens and other CI
        Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
        Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Think i would get a stock tank and start growing em up!

Not quite as much per lb. , but fishing for pikeminnow on the Columbia River could be a cool way to make some cash. They give you $8 a piece if you turn in over 400.

The 2012 Sport reward payment schedule is as follows:

0-100 fish: $4 per fish
          101-400 fish: $5 per fish
          401 and above: $8 per fish
          TAGGED FISH rewards are $500 per tagged fish.

Minimum Size is 9 inches.

http://www.pikeminnow.org/

Not bad for fishing one of the most scenic areas in the country!
          "Because without beer, things do not seem to go as well"

Comment

How bad would you feel if you screwed up the cooking procedure and ruined a few pounds?
            Well, probably not so bad cause if you can feel fine spending that kind of dough on some eel then you've got way too much money to begin with.
            There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

Actually Unagi (grilled eel in Japanese) is pretty darn good. Most of the time it's deboned, grilled, then basted with a sweet glazing sauce. Served with steamed rice.
              sigpic

Comment

oh screw that... on 1 crew/supply boat we would night troll for Ahi(yellowfin tuna)under the flare stack w/ a diamond jig.

bleed & cut that sucker on deck,drizzle w/ white rice wine vinegar,dried crumbled seaweed,garlic,onion,dash of evoo,& eat it while it's still quivering......
                Ahi Poke(pronounced poke-eh) ROCKS.
                brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
                18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
                cast iron Hibachi
                22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
                & rotisserator
                12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
                stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
                Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
                http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
                my music recordings-
                http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

elvers are eaten tiny - when they say grown eels - they don't mean grown very large.

And it's a serious problem. The worlds eel stocks are being wiped out by people overfishing the elvers as they come back from the sargasso sea to mature in land in freshwater.

So with fewer eels maturing and returning to the oceans to breed every year, there are fewer elvers and more bastards trying to catch them.

Bloody japanese have a lot to answer for.

A full grown eel is hands down the best fish you can possibly smoke. because of the high fat content and firm flesh hot smoked eel is the king of smoked fish.

How long full grown eels will exist if the current overfishing continues - is anyones guess.
                  Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                  Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

I work with a guy who's wife is Chineese and they are always eating some different stuff. He doesn't buy the expensive stuff but he brings in for lunch these cans or little jars of eels or what looks like eel skins in some kind of sauce. It doesn't smell right and it just looks wrong.

He also eats some kind of Yak nuckle soup with tripe and who know what else in it. Along with assorted pickled fish, squid and some eggs called 1,000 year old eggs. Oh wait... They gave up on the 1,000 year old eggs when his wife got sick on them.

I say to each their own..
                    Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
                    Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
                    SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
                    Yoder Wichita
                    Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
                    Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
                    Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

lol yeah 'real' chinese food bears absolutely no resemblance to the food we round eyes eat.
                      Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                        lol yeah 'real' chinese food bears absolutely no resemblance to the food we round eyes eat.
                        True dat. I got to work with a visiting Chinese (Chineese in Wingman speak... ) engineer at my place of work awhile back. He took us out to lunch to a local Chinese restaurant, and he ordered many dishes family style. He spoke his native tongue... They hooked a brutha up! Fucking awesome. Stuff I had never eaten, let alone heard of.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Just caught this in the archives.... I have had hot smoked eel in Germany, and it was the bomb. The eel soup, not so much. And love the shit outta some unagi sushi/sashimi. It cracks me up when I hear folks get all repulsed over the thought of eating "eel". Especially when you bring it up at a smelt fry, or lutefisk dinner
                          Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Originally posted by IrishChef View Post
                            It cracks me up when I hear folks get all repulsed over the thought of eating "eel". Especially when you bring it up at a smelt fry
                            HEY! I like my smelt! Don't ruin it for me!
                            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                              Yea, the real Chinese food is good lol .
                              I can't stand takeawAy Chinese except maybe a good chicken chowmein.
                              And I agree with you on the whole Japanese depleting the ocean gig but now we got rich Chinese pushing up prices too and buying everything on a large scale.
                              Nothing against Asians what so ever but there are other people in the world that want food at an affordable price too.
                              NZ short fined Ella are the largest eel in the world, they were on river monsters.
                              I've personally seen one eat a duck.
                              Mate of mine breeds and smokes them and exports mostly to Europe and Japan, love smoked eel
                              sigpic

Mary had a little lamb her father shot it dead, now it goes to school with her between two lumps of bread

Comment

Working...
                              X