Drum Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drum Question

would this be alright to buy this drum since it has been cleaned out with diesel fuel...im thinking it held oil in it..

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/for/1163486648.html
    Mike
    Oklahoma City
    22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
    Weber 22.5 Performer
    GOSM 3405gw
    Boomer Sooner Drum
    Maverick ET-732
    Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
    A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

I would think so, if you clean it up and put a couple of nice hot fires in there to burn up any left overs of whatever was in it

Comment

I have access to oil and paint drums, so far I have been holding out for a retired food drum. Has anyone we know actually made a drum that previously had motor oil in it?
      --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
      www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Should be fine, but that be a closed end drum, so, ifin yer gonna use it fer a drum smoker ya gonna have ta cut the end out, not that big a deal, but an open end drum simply makes it faster.

A couple a good hot burns an it should be fine, after that I'd prolly scrub with some soapy water an a good power wash. Decent price on it.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by doctor phreak View Post
          would this be alright to buy this drum since it has been cleaned out with diesel fuel...im thinking it held oil in it..

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/for/1163486648.html

Well you can if you want to. But I wouldn't want to. Personally I would hold out for food grade or a barrel that had something more friendly in it. A suggestion, go to your local newspaper. If they buy their ink in 55 gal drums like most papers, the ink is soybena based. They don't have a liner in them and all you have to do is rinse them out, and burn them off. Local paper over here sells them for $10. Some places though send them back to the ink plant as a deposit. Another suggestion if you have a flour or grain ill nearby they might have some barrels for sale. A lot of those places won't use barrels with dents, so they just toss them out. Get a dented barrel, knock out the dents as good as ya can.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MossyMO View Post
            I have access to oil and paint drums, so far I have been holding out for a retired food drum. Has anyone we know actually made a drum that previously had motor oil in it?

Allota hog roster's have been made outa fuel oil barrels. I'd rather have a food grade one personally, but, a couple a good burnins an a scrubbin should remove any oil residue.

Our ink drums do come with a liner though, that red lookin interior, however, that was removed with alota heat an a wire wheel.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by travcoman45 View Post

Our ink drums do come with a liner though, that red lookin interior, however, that was removed with alota heat an a wire wheel.
              Must be up to the ink company on whether to line or not. I have not ever had to put up with a barrel with a liner. Is it hard to get out with that wheel after the burn?
              sigpic

Comment

I checked Craigs List this morning because I'm looking for barrels to collect rain and ran across a post selling food grade plastic AND steel barrels.....$10 each...I may get one of those steel barrels and try my hand at a drum smoker!!

Comment

Originally posted by davidmcg View Post
                  Must be up to the ink company on whether to line or not. I have not ever had to put up with a barrel with a liner. Is it hard to get out with that wheel after the burn?

I hit er twice with a 5 Million Btu turbo burner, then a power washer. After that it didn't take much ta clean it up with the wire brush in the angle grinder. Hit it with the torch again an didn't smell nothin. Gotta say its clean.

Used ta be able ta get drums fer free from the newspaper here, now they send em back. Good thin I got bout 5 of em! Now I'm still on the lookout fer a stainless steel drum though!
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X