New Weber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Weber

I'm picking up a 22.5" One Touch Gold today.
    Mrs Cav said I could buy it since I got here a new washer and dryer.

I've seen Mickey's mods. Quetion is what do you guys do about monitoring the temp? Anything quirky?

Never had a real Weber before.

Congrats on the new toy, hope we get a few pics of that baby
    There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

Congrats,

The kettle is solid right out of the box.

Temps?, Id learn to go by feel vs any gadget.

Enjoy.
      Just because you welded some shit together doesnt make it a WSM.

Twitter: @GrubSeeker

Comment

weber makes an awesome kettle, been using them for over 20 years, you will notice that you will get consistent results from it time after time making it easy to cook with. on long grill sessions such as a turkey i will put an oven thermometer inside. they have a very good draft system making them fairly easy to control.
        sigpic
        Brown Trout Wickiup Reservoir, beautiful Central Oregon

Comment

Originally posted by 1Cavman View Post
          Mrs Cav said I could buy it since I got her a new washer and dryer.

I've seen Mikeys' mods. Question is, what do you guys do about monitoring the temp? Anything quirky?

Never had a real Weber before.
          This is what I use to monitor the temp. Having a probe wire under the lid messes with the air control. Having this in one of the vent holes in the lid doesn't affect the draft at all.

http://www.thebbqguru.com/products/B...rmometer-.html
          Last edited by Mikey; 04-13-2012, 10:15 AM.
          sigpic
          New Braunfels Bandera
          New Braunfels Hondo
          4-22.5" Weber Kettles
          1-26" Weber Kettle
          24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
          Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

As Chisoxjim mentioned, getting "a feel for it" is what I would suggest. Mikeys thermo suggestion is a good way to go if you are worried about temps & want to monitor them. I do sometimes run a probe wire under the lid & don't think it affects the performance much. They are not totally air tight, at least the ones I have & have used, as evident by the smoke coming out all areas of where the lid contacts the body & not just the top vent.

Mikeys indirect charcoal set up is pretty slick too. Try to find that thread for you & bump or attach.
            Here it is in this link. Cool indirect charcoal setup.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19266
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
              I do sometimes run a probe wire under the lid & don't think it affects the performance much. They are not totally air tight, at least the ones I have & have used, as evident by the smoke coming out all areas of where the lid contacts the body & not just the top vent.

Mikeys indirect charcoal set up is pretty slick too. Try to find that thread for you & bump or attach.
              I agree that they're not 100% airtight, but having a probe wire under the lid affects the airflow with my particular indirect set-up which involves foiling the charcoal grate. That's the key to getting this method to work properly.
              sigpic
              New Braunfels Bandera
              New Braunfels Hondo
              4-22.5" Weber Kettles
              1-26" Weber Kettle
              24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
              Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

Gonna want to do a few things:
                1) When you put it together, run some tek screws through the leg gussets, into the legs. Nothing worse than having to move it when its full of hot coals, and have one of the legs fall out..... don't ask me how I know that, just trust me.

2) Before you cook in it, let the temp get good and hot, to burn off any residual assembly oils, cutting fluid, etc. And don't use lighter fluid. Unless you like the taste.

3) Don't get fancy on the first cook. Do something cheap and greasy, like pork steaks or cheap burgers, and maybe not be too concerned about eating it. Let that grease drip down on the coals, vaporize, and coat all the little pores in the metal and ceramic, basically like seasoning a CI pan.

4) Dont get obsessed with keeping the grate all shiney and new. If you keep it that clean, it will rust if you aren't using it constantly....

Good luck and enjoy your new purchase!
                Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Don't forget to periodically lightly brush the inside of the lid to get all the loose grease/smoke particles off that will accumulate. They have a tendency to fall off onto nice looking food & leave speckled black particles on everything....... Don't ask
                  sigpic

Comment

Don't forget to periodically lightly brush the inside of the lid to get all the loose grease/smoke particles off that will accumulate. They have a tendency to fall off onto nice looking food & leave speckled black particles on everything....... Don't ask
                    You too huh?
                    Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                    My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                    @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by 1Cavman View Post
                      Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                      Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                      1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                      Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                      Weber Smokey Joe
                      Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                      Pink Thermapen
                      Purple Thermapen

Comment

And by all means get your self one of these...
                        http://www.amazon.com/Weber-2290-2-I.../dp/B00004VWM1

Comment

This makes sense to me. Wondered about that probe wire.

Originally posted by Mikey View Post
                          This is what I use to monitor the temp.
                          http://www.thebbqguru.com/products/B...rmometer-.html
                          1. Understand
                          2. Figured I'd need to burn some lump charcoal before the first cook. Don't use brickets or lighter fluid.
                          3. OK
                          4. You should see my other grates. Shine they are not.

Originally posted by IrishChef View Post
                          Gonna want to do a few things:
                          1) When you put it together, run some tek screws through the leg gussets, into the legs.

2) Before you cook in it, let the temp get good and hot, to burn off any residual assembly oils, cutting fluid, etc. And don't use lighter fluid. Unless you like the taste.

3) Don't get fancy on the first cook. Do something cheap and greasy, like pork steaks or cheap burgers, and maybe not be too concerned about eating it. Let that grease drip down on the coals, vaporize, and coat all the little pores in the metal and ceramic, basically like seasoning a CI pan.

4) Dont get obsessed with keeping the grate all shiney and new. If you keep it that clean, it will rust if you aren't using it constantly....

My wife is just gonna love me!!

Originally posted by gmotoman View Post
                          And by all means get your self one of these...
                          http://www.amazon.com/Weber-2290-2-I.../dp/B00004VWM1

Comment

Good thing I've got some time on my hands.
                            I have a stack of firebricks. Might just try to partion with the bricks first time around.

Mrs Cav wants thighs and wings Sunday.
                            So I'm gonna be busy tomorrow.

As Chisoxjim mentioned, getting "a feel for it" is what I would suggest. Mikeys thermo suggestion is a good way to go if you are worried about temps & want to monitor them. I do sometimes run a probe wire under the lid & don't think it affects the performance much. They are not totally air tight, at least the ones I have & have used, as evident by the smoke coming out all areas of where the lid contacts the body & not just the top vent.

Here it is in this link. Cool indirect charcoal setup.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19266

Comment

I cook on my kettles probably 3 nights a week, year around & use Kingsford briquettes all the time & they work great. Others may disagree, but everyone has their opinion. No lighter fluid though & let em ash up to gray in color.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X