A batch of Kimchee in the works

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A batch of Kimchee in the works

Kimchi also spelled gimchi, kimchee, or kim chee, is a traditional fermented Korean dish that I am in love with...also supposed o be very good for the digestive system. All them nasty little fermentation bugs tend to keep things moving I guess

Decided to get a batch going now that outside weather is upon us...I can eat a couple gallons of the stuff myself over the course of the summer.

This is a recipe that I got from Beer B Que (may he rest in peace) a while back with a slight change or two.

First I took two nice Napa cabbages and washed them, cut the cores out and chopped into about 2" pieces. Then placed them in the largest non-reactive mixing bowl I had.
    The container must be non-reactive...remember, we're fermenting here.

Chopped a bunch of scallions into 2" pieces and sliced lengthwise a couple times and added them.

Peeled a good sized hunk of fresh gingerroot and grated up about 1.5 Tbsp and added it.

Made a brine out of 3 Tbsp pickling salt per 6 cups of filtered water and poured it over the whole mess until it was covered. I was making a large amount, so it took two batches of brine.
    Pour the brine over , put a heavy plate on top to keep the cabbage immersed and let it sit for 12 hours.

After 12 hours, I drained the cabbage, reserving the brine and mixed it with 3 Tbsp Asian hot red pepper flakes and some granulated garlic, and packed it in a large sterile jar.

I poured enough brine back over the cabbage to just cover it, the place a plastic bag on top and filled it with the remaining brine. This will keep a tight seal over the brine, yet still allow the gases of fermentation to escape.

Now I'll let it "sour up" for a few days...until it gets to the point I want then just stick it in the fridge ...it will last all summer unless I eat it all first, which is more than likely...kimchi is great on a burger.

I will update the post as the fermentation progresses.
    sigpic

Smoked-Meat certified Sausagehead

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1443745685

Good stuff! Dern youngest son....ate a whole quart...then half a bag of Oreos...& then a Bahama Momma sausage...omg...he cleared the hangar out!
    Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Thats gonna be goodI've made that before.(different Recipe)And your right it don't last long.
      sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
        Good stuff! Dern youngest son....ate a whole quart...then half a bag of Oreos...& then a Bahama Momma sausage...omg...he cleared the hangar out!
        sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

I did a batch of kraut with some red pepper flakes in it... interesting stuff...
          Yours looks tastier! I have had commercial stuff... gotta be careful opening the jar...it's "carbonated"! Or the stuff I had was.

Don't they traditionally bury it in crocks in the ground or something strange?
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

hee hee - hoser strikes again !

It can't be coincidence that I've just washed up a large(ish) jar. had intended it for sausage pickling, but I see now that fate had it lined up for kimchee all a long.

Recipe looks good but I think I'll shred the cabbage into small pieces. that's how I've had kimchee before and makes it much easier for scooping out small amounts.
            Plus I've got a white cabbage in the fridge that's nearing it's use by date (or it goes mouldy). I was leaning towards coleslaw - but not any longer :-)

More

So you working your way down one of my 'todo' lists or what ?
            first the ravioli and now this
            Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Thanks, for the post Hoser, , , been lookin for a Kim Chee recipe. Grew up on the stuff. A buddy of mine had a Korean Mom. Always had fresh hot sticky rice and a smokin hot batch of kimchee in the fridge. If memory serves she was smokin hot too
              JT

Comment

Thanks for posting your recipe for Kim Chee. I also like my Kim Chee in my sandwiches.

Comment

Hmm. I've never had it but I bet I would like it.
                  Propane Smoke Shack
                  UDS
                  Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
                  sigpic

Comment

been looking to try some kimchee recipe. Where did you get your korean red peppers?
                    Mustang electric smoker
                    King Kooker vertical gasser
                    Charbroil silver smoker
                    Earnhardt Jr smoker
                    Brinkman smoke n' grill
                    a-maze-n cold smoker rack

USMC vet 87 - 91

Comment

Awesome Hoser! Love the stuff. Looking forward to seeing how this turns oot!

Comment

Interesting... never heard of it before.
                        Where to Shop -
                        www.OwensBBQ.com

Follow Tatonka Dust on Facebook -
                        https://www.facebook.com/TatonkaDust

Comment

Right on Hoser! Great post, great looking recipe! Thanks for sharing!
                          Main difference between yours and ours is the size of the cut cabbage...we coarsely shred ours. Any particular reason you 2" chunk yours? Curious.
                          Rudy

sigpic
                          GOSM Big Block
                          SnPP - Rehab'd after 16 years
                          22.5" Weber Kettle
                          Smokey Joe for the RV
                          Assorted Digital Thermos
                          and a ugly BROWN thermapen cuz it was on sale!

Comment

nice work bro,

I dig posts where folks share out of the box stuff.

Just because you welded some shit together doesnt make it a WSM.

Twitter: @GrubSeeker

Comment

Originally posted by chisoxjim View Post
                              nice work bro,

I dig posts where folks share out of the box stuff.

Like captain crunch meatballs at, oh, I don't know, 4:20 in the morning?

Totally love the kimchee Hoser! I have this book http://www.wildfermentation.com/

and find all kinds of interesting things to try.

Comment

Working...
                              X