Bluebarb Pie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bluebarb Pie

My favorite pie that the wife makes. I'm not a fan of blueberries but I love them in this pie. I'm including the pie crust, but I think the wife uses her own.

Ingredients
    2c all purpose flour
    1t salt
    2/3c shortening
    6-8T ice water
    Filling
    1 1/2c sugar
    3T quick-cooking Tapioca
    1/4t salt
    4c sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
    2c fresh or frozen blueberries thawed
    1T butter
    1t 2% milk

Directions
    In a small bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in the shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide dough in half so one is slightly larger than the other; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 4 hours or until easy to handle

On a lightly floured surface roll out larger portion of dough to fit 9 inch pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate and trim even with edge.

For filling in a large bowl combine sugar, tapioca, and salt. Add rhubarb and blueberries; toss to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes. Transfer to crust and dot with butter.

Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry. Brush with milk; sprinkle with sugar if desired.

Bake at 400 for 40-45 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.
    sigpic

Sounds great! thanks for the recipe. I have 30 ft of rhubarb that's just about to start going gangbusters so I know what I'll be using some of that for. Also have some blueberries in the freezer from last summer's blueberry festival that we went to.

I have a friend whose wife makes a damn good Strawberry, Blueberry, Raspberry Pie that I love and she doesn't give out the recipe. Guess I really need to concoct my own. Can't be that hard.

Comment

Interesting combo of flavors there. I might like it. My blueberries will be ready soon, yay! Now I've just got to hunt downs some 'barb. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Comment

We have 20 plants, so we're always looking for recipes. Ours is ready now, I better order something cause the UPS man always picks some.
        sigpic

Comment

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
          Paul

Comment

Thank You Ryan!!!

And thanks for the heads up---No way would I want to miss this recipe!!!

Bear
            Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
            Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Sounds delicious. Ive got 20 to 30 plants in my back yard, right next to my horseradish, and my rassberry bush. Weve done rasberry ruhbarb and its always excellent. If I know how to ship it I would send people the barb I have. We can't eat it fast enough.

Grill Pro Charcoal Smoker
              Char Broil Charcoal Grill.
              Mr Beer, fermenter, kit

Comment

Working...
              X