Sturgeon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sturgeon?

Years ago I read somewhere that the flavor and texture of sturgeon resembles that of scallops. I also read stories about sturgeon being so oily and plentiful in the great lakes that the Indians used to net them and dry them on racks in the sun to burn as winter fuel. Any who, I've always wanted to try some but have never seen it on a menu anywhere or even for sale in a supermarket. The only legal way to fish for them in Michigan is to spear them and then only if you are one of the lucky few to draw a permit.
    I'm going to presume that maybe so e of the northern folks on here may have had some luck getting sturgeon so I'm asking, what does it taste like? Being as oily as it's supposed to be, it seems like it would be a good fish to smoke too. Have any of you done so?

it is very oily and very rich.Just yesterday a friend asked if I had ever smoked any I said that I had not ,but I have tasted it and it takes smoke very well.So I maybe getting some to smoke for him and I will post some pics when I do.
    sigpicbrinkman pitmaster deluxe
    members mark upright propane smoker
    kingsford bbq
    23"weber kettle

Comment

The white Sturgeon from the Columbia river are a firm white flesh fish. You can smoke or grill it without the skinside similar to tuna. They get kinda big though, and can be a pain in the arms to catch.

They have a min/max between 48" and 60" for the keepers i think.
      "Because without beer, things do not seem to go as well"

Comment

Personally, I don't find them "oily". I have deep fried, pan fried, smoked, smoked & canned them. I have not grilled any yet, but should be great. I had a friend tell me he chunks them up & boils them & Halibut in 7up. As Hippy mentioned, they get rather big on the Columbia & some fishing guides have trips that target the "oversized" ones.
        sigpic

Comment

I've seen a couple in PA (Delaware River), but they are either endangered or threatened here, and NO OPEN SEASON in PA.

They're Huge!!!

Bear
          Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
          Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

My buddies go every spring up to the Canada/MN border and fish for them in the Rainy River but they don't ever keep any. Honestly I don't even have a clue if you can, how many or what size they would have to be to keep them. I've never eaten it either but would definitely like to try it.
            Propane Smoke Shack
            UDS
            Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rbranstner View Post
              My buddies go every spring up to the Canada/MN border and fish for them in the Rainy River but they don't ever keep any. Honestly I don't even have a clue if you can, how many or what size they would have to be to keep them. I've never eaten it either but would definitely like to try it.

Last I heard, I think Canada allowed some keepers in the smaller range, but big ones weren't allowed to leave the water.
              That was awhile ago--could have changed.

Bear
              Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
              Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

watched someone fishing for sturgeon on the fraser river last night.
                They caught three in the session - shortest one was 5 foot longest just over 6.

English actor called robson green and some canadian ice hockey player. (kevin estrada)
                Looked like fun :-)

Mind you were I to go sturgeon fishing I'd want to do it in the breeding season. sturgeon roe=caviar - the really good stuff !
                yeah I'm guessing it would be illegal - but hell have you seen the size of that part of canada, who's going to catch you

And if robson and friend can pull in 3 in one session - they aren't exactly on the endangered list.
                Last edited by curious aardvark; 05-01-2012, 03:07 PM.
                Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

I was lucky enough that a friend gave me a couple nice sized pieces of sturgeon last year. I grilled them up on the weber gasser and they turned out very good....It was a light tasting white meat ...I would take all I could get and smoked I think would be very good

Comment

actually the biggest problem would be killing the fish quickly. Kind of boney heads and even a small five footer would probably need a decent sized lump hammer as a priest.

It's a problem I'd be more than willing to deal with :-)

yeah, when i win the lottery.
                    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Yeah, I know they get big. I remember years ago (before the internet) seeing news footage of some fisherman on Lake Erie in a 16 ft boat being pulled all over hell and back by a sturgeon he latched into. Don't remember if he landed the fish or not.
                      Gonna have to find out where the Columbia River is and maybe plan a vacation there.

Comment

Ain't never ate one here in Florida...Caught & released the only one I ever did. They will dern sure jump outta the water here & have knocked/hurt numerous folks cruising the rivers....
                        Sunset Eagle Aviation
                        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

I've only fished for them once & caught one that was aboot 60 inches I think. It took me an hour to clean it, the skin is almost like iron..... I have not fished for them since..... I think the size keeper range is 42" to 65" or something like that, at least here in Washington.

I used to trade salmon & steelhead to a guy that caught a lot of them. Good eating fish!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
                            Ain't never ate one here in Florida...Caught & released the only one I ever did. They will dern sure jump outta the water here & have knocked/hurt numerous folks cruising the rivers....
                            Hmm, so maybe shoot them in self defence ?

Weird law - in california the only animal it's legal to shoot from the back of a moving pickup truck is......a whale !
                            Not making that up.

there's another state with the same law - and I believe it's landlocked
                            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                              Weird law - in california the only animal it's legal to shoot from the back of a moving pickup truck is......a whale !
                              Not making that up.

there's another state with the same law - and I believe it's landlocked
                              That's crazy! ...... Other state prolly Oregon
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X