First slab on the smoker.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First slab on the smoker.

I'm going to do my first slab of BB ribs tomorrow ( if the rain holds off). I have always par boiled ribs in Coke, water, onion, and some garlic, then sauced them on the grill. And they have turned out good, everyone loves them.

But I'm going to try smoking on my homemade garbage can smoker.

I like my ribs, wet, sweet, and falling off the bones. But that is just me.

I'm going to use a KC rub no mustard my wife hates the stuff even tough there is some in our sauce, cherry and maple (if I can find them) on electric at 225 deg. I'm thinking 2.5-1-.5. I have a BBQ sauce that I make that is okay, but I really need to find a better one. But I'll go with it.

What is the best way to probe for temp? After taking off the heat should I wrap in foil, and let them sit? How long should I let the rub sit on them.

Any tips?

You'll probably get plenty of minor variations, but here's answers to your ribs questions - according to Seboke:

-Sauce is all on you bro. I can't tell you which sauce you like best just like I can't call people insane for thinking Brussel sprouts taste good.

-Temp is OK, you can even go up to 250.

-Rub, lots of folks will go overnight or a few hours at least. You can get by with letting the rub sit on long enough to turn completely wet before applying smoke.

-Times are OK for BBs. BUT, the times are guidelines, not rules. The fall off the bone quality is achieved during the foil stage, you may consider adjusting for a bit more time in the foil, maybe a 2-1.5-.5

-Splash some apple juice in the foil, dust a little more rub before closing the foil.

-After the foil, after the re-firm, don't re-wrap em! Eat em!

Good Luck! Hope to see some pics. I started my smoking "career" in a trashcan smoker almost 2 years ago!
    Lang 84 Deluxe (sold it, broke my heart)
    Weber Performer
    Weber 22.5" OTG
    Weber Q Tabletop Gasser
    Bunch of Sausage Makin' Kit
    Big Azz BBQ Concession Trailer
    BBQ Food Truck

Comment

Here is a link for the 3-2-1- method. http://www.wyntk.us/food/3-2-1-rib-method.shtml

BB ribs you might want to adjust it to 2-2-1 or a variation of that. Some folks foil (the 2nd 2hrs)with a little bit of apple juice or favorite liquid. This will braise the meat, causing it to "fall off the bone" Some people don't foil, just spritz the ribs every hr.

The ribs are hard to gauge with a probe, anything over 160 is safe but might not be tender . I go more by time, When the meat starts to pull back from the bones by about 1/4 to 3/8 inch,They are close to being done. The last hr, I add my glaze or bbq sauce to finish.

If you like sweet, our house love's sweet baby ray's. I put my rub on and let sit in fridge for awhile until the rub becomes moist. When the ribs are done, usually last thing, I'll bring them in the house and cut them up. This is usually enough time sitting before I serve them.

p.s. Family would torch me, if I ever boiled ribs
      "Official Taste Tester"
      -------------------------
      Ron

Big Block GOSM
      Small Block GOSM
      Maverick ET-7
      Weber Q220
      Kenmore Grill
      Propane torch..just in case

Comment

Originally posted by Tee2 View Post
        I'm going to do my first slab of BB ribs tomorrow ( if the rain holds off). I have always par boiled ribs in Coke, water, onion, and some garlic, then sauced them on the grill. And they have turned out good, everyone loves them.

But I'm going to try smoking on my homemade garbage can smoker.

I like my ribs, wet, sweet, and falling off the bones. But that is just me.

I'm going to use a KC rub no mustard my wife hates the stuff even tough there is some in our sauce, cherry and maple (if I can find them) on electric at 225 deg. I'm thinking 2.5-1-.5. I have a BBQ sauce that I make that is okay, but I really need to find a better one. But I'll go with it.

What is the best way to probe for temp? After taking off the heat should I wrap in foil, and let them sit? How long should I let the rub sit on them.

Any tips?

I think you have done your homework well. I would say your plan is sound. When the ribs are done and ready to come off the smoker for the last time, just put them all on a tray or sheet pan, and tent it with foil, let them sit for 10-15 mintes. It does make them a lil more tender. The bones hold alot of heat so they won't get cold.

make sure ya take a few pics so we can believe you actually did it with out the boiling pot!

I'm sure you'll do just fine!
        Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

You have all the information you need for a great slab of ribs. Just need pics now.
          sigpic
          Smoke Vault 24

Comment

I think the boys have you covered... No need trying to use a temp probe.. You should be able to tell when there done after foil...

Good luck... Take some pics..
            Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

well it looks like it is going to be on Saturday, rain it going to start around 12:00 tomorrow.

Thanks for the tips, and the link, some good info there for the newbie. I'm going to try the ice tea, it sounds good we make 3qts every day with a ice tea maker. But we use Splenda, need to cut some calories somewhere.

I think I'll charge a battery for my camera tonight so I know it will be good to go.

Comment

On the Smoker

I'm on my way. Here are some pic's

Last night, put on a KC rib rub.
                BE2D0060.jpg

Wrapped up to go in frig.
                BE2D0062.jpg

On the smoker. A little later than I wanted.
                BE2D0066.jpg

My garbage can smoker. I have my Fluke multi meter for temp, and you can see by the table leg, I have a PID too. This is my first time using it, that it why the Fluke it there too.

BE2D0067.jpg

I'm making some rolls to have too. These are the best rolls ever.
                BE2D0064.jpg

More to come as the day goes on.

Comment

I am looking forward to more pics. Keep them coming
                  KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Tee,
                    Everything looks like it's progressing well. One complaint. You can't say i'm going to make these rolls (best ever) and not give us a recipe and more pics!!!
                    Dan
                    AKA "GTL"

Get Busy Livin' or Get Busy Dyin"

Weber 22 1/2" Gold
                    3405 GOSM
                    sigpic

Comment

At few more shots along to way.

Wrapping with foil and apple juice.
                      BE2D0068.jpg
                      Rolls are shaped and proofing. I am doing some pull-a-parts for tonight. And six buns for hot dogs and brats for tomorrow. The rolls are timing just right with the ribs, mixing first rise 2 hours, shaping, and proofing 2 hours, Baking and rest 1-1.5 hours.
                      BE2D0070.jpg
                      Attached Files

Comment

The final photos

The rolls after proofing and waiting on the oven
                        [ATTACH]548[/ATTACH]

Finished rolls and buns. I tried a different flour that I got from GFS they said it was a bread flour but it has a higher gluten contain than normal bread flour. Turned out a bit on the brown side and some what chewy in a good way for the rolls. I think it will be too chewy for the buns though.
                        [ATTACH]549[/ATTACH]
                        The Ribs.
                        [ATTACH]550[/ATTACH]
                        They where good, a bit on the spicy/hot side for the wife and youngest daughter. I'll need to tone that down. I'll post the rub recipe for some help later. But all in all, I'm happy with the turn out.
                        [ATTACH]551[/ATTACH]
                        The side dish, red potatoes, and a big sweet onion on the grill.
                        [ATTACH]552[/ATTACH]
                        My oldest daughter had her prom tonight and was getting ready all day, I have more pictures of the BBQ then her! Lucky the wife took lots.

Comment

Thats one cool looking smoker there.
                          2-22.5'' weber
                          1-18'' weber
                          1 smokey joe
                          22.5'' wsm
                          24'' smoke vault
                          1-outhouse
                          Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
                          Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Working...