Temp gauge in UDS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temp gauge in UDS

Those of you who have two cooking racks in your UDS.....Is it recommended to have a temp gauge below each or is one sufficient, and where is it placed?

Anybody out there?????

Comment

Bump.

I'm curious myself.

I have 2 grates but don't recall seeing a big difference between the two. I only have a single thermo on the side at about 1" below the bottom grate. I did check the difference with Taylor digital thermos once but the drum was empty so probably not a very good test and I really don't remember what the temp differential was.

I may have to do it again to see if there is a difference.

Dave
      CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
      UDS 1.0
      Afterburner
      Weber Performer
      Blue Thermapen
      Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
      Auber Smoker Controller
      Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
      -
      "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

When I had an UDS with a Thermo it was 1" below the bottom grate.I ran the pit master on it and had the Pitmaster on the top rack.There was 25 deg. difference with food in it.
        sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

Originally posted by Critterhunter View Post
          When I had an UDS with a Thermo it was 1" below the bottom grate.I ran the pit master on it and had the Pitmaster on the top rack.There was 25 deg. difference with food in it.
          Was that 25° difference between a short stemmed thermo on the side and a digital in the center?

Because I have found that (without a deflector ) there can be a 30° to 40° difference between the temp readings from the edge to the center of the drum.

Dave
          UDS 1.0
          Afterburner
          Weber Performer
          Blue Thermapen
          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
          Auber Smoker Controller
          -

Comment

These guys are the UDS profesionals........When i build one i figure either way i would have digital probes on all grates........just get a feel at first......

Backwoods we use in comps are so well constructed they put temp guage in middle that sticks out (mounted)the front.......ours average 5 degree differnce top to bottom,but this is a double insulated reverse flow style cabinet unit........

Comment

Originally posted by ALX View Post
              When i build one i figure either way i would have digital probes on all grates........just get a feel at first......
              Once you have that, you can just go from there.

Besides, you can't control the temp at the top grate independent of the temp at the bottom grate. So once you know what the expected temp differential is, you only need one reference point.

Also, unless you use the long thermo through the bolt gig for the top grate thermo, the stem would just be one more thing to catch on the bottom grate when you try to put it in or remove it.

So I guess to answer the original question . . . one temp gauge is sufficient but you should determine what the temp differential is when it is loaded with food. And even that will change somewhat depending on what you are cooking.

Dave
              UDS 1.0
              Afterburner
              Weber Performer
              Blue Thermapen
              Thermoworks Chef Alarm
              Auber Smoker Controller
              -

Comment

My drums have two cooking grates with the bottom grate sitting just above a terra cotta pot base that acts as a heat diffuser and grease catcher. The Teltru sits about an inch below the top grate and is about 15 degrees hotter than the bottom grate.
                WSM and UDS - iBQ'n BBQ Team co-founder TheBBQSuperstore.com

Comment

I'm dual probed, That just don't sound right...Uhhh...they both run about 7 degrees on the average...And I am a peeker! Thinkin i'll get some birds on the rotator this weekend!
                  Sunset Eagle Aviation
                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
                    Was that 25° difference between a short stemmed thermo on the side and a digital in the center?

Because I have found that (without a deflector ) there can be a 30° to 40° difference between the temp readings from the edge to the center of the drum.

Dave
                    That is with a deflector.(Pizza Pan)And a short thermo on the bottom grate.And a Maverick on the side on the top grate.Meat on both racks.Then when I got the Pitmaster.25 degrees between top and bottom.Pitmaster again on the side.
                    sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

I run two racks all the time and I only use one analog probe which is located right below the bottom rack. I always have a digital thermometer going as well which I try to place close to my analog probe. I don't notice much heat difference between my upper and lower racks. I notice the most difference from the center to outside of my barrel especially when the fire is first starting out as it hasn't had time to spread throughout the whole barrel.
                      Propane Smoke Shack
                      UDS
                      Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X