Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoke Daddy Plumbed to use Pellet Grill Air.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoke Daddy Plumbed to use Pellet Grill Air.

My wife and I are very satisfied with the amount of smoke produce by our modified Traeger but for higher temperature cooks and smoking meat for stick burner friends we use the Smoke Daddy or A-MAZ-Smoker.

As us Pellet Grill Smoke Daddy users know, a major problem with the Smoke Daddy’s operation is overcoming the pellet grill’s internal air pressure. A by product of this is creosote and carbon buildup in the output tube, the inability to properly adjust the air to obtain that nice blue smoke and the inability to adjust from low to high.

I eliminated this problem by fabricating a system where the Smoke Daddy gets its intake air from the pellet grill thus equalizing air pressure in the SD and the Pit. I used black pipe and fittings, bass ball valve, coated flexible stainless steel gas line and SS fittings. I used existing holes in my prototype and I plan to clean up the plumbing later.

The setup. The valve is use to close air flow during pit cool down when the fan is running.

I normally load the SD with a combination of wood chips, pellets, wood chunks and sometime lump charcoal loosely so there is room for air to flow.

I use the pump output adjustment in conjunction with my DIF adjustment to get the blue smoke I am looking for. The DIF adjustment is not required.
    Low air pump setting produces a nice slow smoke.

High air pump setting will fill up the pit.

Showing a nice blue smoke coming out of the stack.

Inside the SD after more than two hours on high and you can see, I run the SD hot just like a mini pit because this gives me a nice blue smoke.
    sigpic

Interesting. A crude, yet functional feedback loop. Any thoughts on temp control Vs. smoke production?

I'm assuming temp control in the smoker is a function of pellets AND fan control...right?
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

interesting for sure!! thanks for sharen
      Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
      Yoder YS640
      Weber Genesis
      Weber 18.5" Kettle
      Weber Performer
      Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
        Interesting. A crude, yet functional feedback loop. Any thoughts on temp control Vs. smoke production?

I'm assuming temp control in the smoker is a function of pellets AND fan control...right?
        You nailed it Richtee. I can use this for cold smoking once the Savannah, Ga temperature get cooler, like next November.
        Here is my Traeger Pellet Smoker Control System.
        sigpic

Comment

Yup. that'll do 'er allrighty...
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Looks great Savanahsmoker! I am also one of the pellet people trying to increase the smokiness of my cabinet. Didn't buy a smoke daddy because of internal pressure. This looks like a cool way to deal with that.

I installed an electric element for preheat. I find myself using it all the time though. It makes the pellet burner not have to work as hard. The temps stay very consistent, it uses less pellets and makes more smoke!
            "Because without beer, things do not seem to go as well"

Comment

Hippy a electric element preheat, ya out to show pictures of the setup.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X