Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drink of the week...MOJITO! Straight from Puerto Rico.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drink of the week...MOJITO! Straight from Puerto Rico.

Couple weeks ago I suggested a drink of the week...whoever wants to demonstrate their drink. This week I will show you how to make a proper Mojito...Had a few today and took a few pics to demonstrate how they are made. How would I know what proper is? Well, Me and Mrs. Engineer went on a cruise one time, and we boarded out of San Juan Puerto Rico. The thing is that when we got back into port, they kick you off the boat pretty early so they can turn it around. Well, we stayed a couple days in Puerto Rico and one of the things I wanted to do was tour the Bacardi Plant. So we went from the cruise ship to Bacardi...At 9:00 AM on a Sunday...and started drinking Mojito's and Cuba Libre. We learned right from the source.
    So here we go.

At the Bacardi Plant tour...it is pretty cool

The Bacardi Bat...on every bottle.

The Recipe we got from Bacardi. When we got home we planted a mint patch.

Put sugar in a glass.

Add mint leaves to the glass.

I use the back of a spoon to "muddle" the leaves. What this means to me is that you bruise the leaves into the sugar to impart the mint flavor.

Add lime to the mix.

Add Rum

Fill the glass with club soda

Add Ice and garnish with a sprig of mint. I usually spoon out all of the bruised mint leaves.

Incredibly refreshing! When it's hot outside, man are these good!
    Last edited by BBQ Engineer; 05-14-2012, 09:06 AM.
    BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
    Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
    I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Last year me wife discovered. the mojito. Mint was getting expensive in. them small containers from the store. I said F this and bought a plant. Chit really spreads and already killing some off.

Comment

Damn... It's been over three weeks since I have had a drink and this is looking mighty fine..
      Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Refreshing is right
        sigpic

Comment

Serve it up!

Livin' the life, eh Dana?

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
          Paul

Comment

Cool... I have some silver rum on oak and coming into its own soon. I also picked up some apple mint for the wife for her herb garden. I think maybe a few different mint types will help her out even more...

her: somethings eating my mint...
            Me: Can't imagine what type rodent would single out just your mint plants...
            Her again: I think its a RAT.....
            Me: uh huh..........................
            sigpic

Don't let your meat loaf...

http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...view=slideshow

Comment

My neighbors wife planted this mint she says is just for making mojitos. A thinker leaf variety. She said I could have all I want. After this post, I'm heading to the store to get some Rum and gonna get chitfaced on Mojitos
              Thanks Dana
              https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

I'd love to have one of those right about now.
                Propane Smoke Shack
                UDS
                Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
                sigpic

Comment

ER

I guess I shoulda picked up another bottle of rum for mothers day, but I got one when I was out today. Last fall I froze the mint leaves from our plants and it worked very good for over winter drinks, also last fall found a big bag of limes on sale. I sliced the limes and froze them on a sheet pan, this also worked very well. It has been awhile for lushious butt I just now made her a mojito, just the way she likes it.

1.5 ounces bacardi silver
                  1/2 ounce coconut rum
                  1 ounce simple syrup
                  About a half inch lime slice
                  4 or 5 mint leaves
                  Top off with club soda

Slightly muddle the mint, halve the lime slice and squeeze...toss em in there.
                  Add the rest and stir, add ice.

Comment

Great job Dana - man that mint is like rosemary, they both take over fast
                    Scarbelly

Comment

Working...
                    X