Chicken - Bacon - Olive - Cheese - Mad Hunky Stromboli

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicken - Bacon - Olive - Cheese - Mad Hunky Stromboli

Rained all day yesterday so didn't feel like getting soaked grilling. Whipped up this with cooked/shredded chicken, lots of bacon, can of olives, mozzarela & Alfredo sauce & some Mad Hunky for the halibut. Wrapped it up with a couple of dough sheets and baked @ 375* for aboot 18 minutes. Let cool a bit, then sliced & served. Drizzled a bit of Warm Alfredo sauce over the slices. These are kinda fun & basically anything goes as far as ingredients go Had to microwave aboot 45 seconds before serving to get the cheese melty again. But no biggie, do it with Gator also.....

sigpic

Man O' Man what a meal.
    sigpic

Comment

Uhhh...That IPA is Mine! Run back to the store...That gig will be done eatin when ya getz back!
      Sunset Eagle Aviation
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Lovin' me some Stromboli.Local Resto around here makes Damn good oones but only for lunch one day a week.Looks great
        sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

Hate to get too technical but... A stromboli is more of a rolled/stuffed turnover type of thing... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stromboli_(food)
          That's more like a calzone... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calzone
          The calzones I remember as a kid were from a shop owned by a little old Italian lady in the Farmers Market in Fresno, Ca. They were basically seasoned finely ground beef with mozzarella cheese, sauce in a folded dough & then deep fried.

I realize that there is not a great deal of difference between the two but for some reason always think of a calzone as deep fried.

Nevertheless, I'd be all over that whatever that thing is.

EDIT: OBTW, I love the family pic in your signature.
          Last edited by THE ICEMAN; 05-23-2012, 12:29 AM. Reason: You take a great pic although you could use a shave... And a body wax.

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
          Paul

Comment

Originally posted by THE ICEMAN View Post
            Hate to get too technical but... A stromboli is more of a rolled/stuffed turnover type of thing... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stromboli_(food)
            That's more like a calzone... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calzone
            The calzones I remember as a kid were from a shop owned by a little old Italian lady in the Farmers Market in Fresno, Ca. They were basically seasoned finely ground beef with mozzarella cheese, sauce in a folded dough & then deep fried.

I realize that there is not a great deal of difference between the two but for some reason always think of a calzone as deep fried.

Nevertheless, I'd be all over that whatever that thing is.

EDIT: OBTW, I love the family pic in your signature.
            ....... I guess there's plenty of room for conversation on what it really is, or should be called???...... IMO, a Calzone would have a pizza type crust? and a Stromboli would have more of a Crescent? or lighter type crust? ... But, I'm not sure.... I'm not a big bread/crust type of guy, so I'm prolly using the wrong lingo for you cats..... The first time I ever heard of a Stromboli was when I first got married, aboot 18 years ago & a Pampered Chef recipe book had one in it...... Can't remember what it was stuffed with, but I'm pretty sure it had this crust..... Besides the Alfredo sauce being too salty, it was really good.
            sigpic

Comment

Way to rock it Scott! Man it looks good.
              Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
              Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
              SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
              Yoder Wichita
              Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
              Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
              Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

Good food and a nice IPA. Lagunitas is a good one (at least I think that's what you're drinking there). for a great combo!
                Don

Humphrey's Pint
                Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5"
                Weber Performer (Black Top, Stainless Steel Table Edition circa 2005)
                Blackstone Professional Series 36" Griddle
                Weber Spirit SP-310 Gas Grill
                Anova One Sous Vide
                AMPS
                Purple Thermapen
                Maverick ET-733
                DigIQ DX2
                Misfit #1674

sigpic

Comment

I'm calling it a giant pasty

looks damn tasty whatever it answers too

so where's the halibut ?
                  Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                  Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

As far as I know most pizza places use the same dough for both calzones and strombolis. The difference between the two is as iceman describes from what I was told by the owner of a very popular pizza joint around here. Calzone usually has ricotta cheese and is folded. Ingredients are cut into larger chunks with very little sauce added. The dough is tossed less than pizza to keep it thick. Stromboli is rolled with pretty much what goes on a pizza and the dough is tossed thinner than pizza. I imagine this varies from one pizza guy to the next but that is what I know so I am going with it.

I was able to knock these guys out using his advice.
                    Weber Smoky Joe
                    18" Weber Silver
                    22.5" Weber Gold
                    22.5" Weber Silver
                    UDS X 2
                    Masterbuilt 30" MES digital
                    Masterbuilt MES 40" digital
                    Masterbuilt cold smoke attachment
                    Char-Broil Big Easy 3 in 1
                    Char-Broil COS with Ron Fischer mods.
                    Dual Char-Broil BBQ Bistros
                    Blackstone three burner flat top
                    5" AMZNPS
                    Vortex x 2
                    Maverick ET 73
                    Maverick ET 732
                    Maverick Pro Temp instant read thermometer
                    Thermo Works Smoke Dual Channel Thermometer
                    Pitmaster iQue 110
                    sigpic

Comment

Nice Calzones or, are they Stromboli's or Pasty's ..... From what I can gather, it appears to be Italian in origin & like the pizza, has lots of different versions. The original version I was exposed to came from me wife, from some Pampered Chef party filled with wine swilling women & the store bought dough/crust & I think the original I tasted had ranch dressing & broccoli with the chicken

Just trying to throw ideas oot for others to try & expand on. A lot of different versions of "Stromboli" can be found (Chicken Cordon Bleu, Ham & Cheese, etc.) ..... Hell, hot dogs wrapped in this stuff & baked are good.
                      sigpic

Comment

Those are Stormbolis. I made those as they were pretty easy compared to the calzone instructions I was given. I used fast rising pizza dough, rolled it out, rubbed with eevo, threw on capicola, sandwich pepperoni, salami,onions, chopped green peppers, shredded mozzarella and some canned sauce. Rolled it up, folded down the edges ,rubbed with more eevo and cut slits to vent the steam. As soon as I get my pizza stone I am going to do some on the 22.5" . I will make a thread.....

Ya know the more I think about it the more I want these like today. I may stop by lowes on my way home and grab a few pieces of ceramic tile.
                        Weber Smoky Joe
                        18" Weber Silver
                        22.5" Weber Gold
                        22.5" Weber Silver
                        UDS X 2
                        5" AMZNPS
                        Vortex x 2
                        Maverick ET 73
                        Maverick ET 732
                        Pitmaster iQue 110
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tenacious bee View Post
                          Ya know the more I think about it the more I want these like today. I may stop by lowes on my way home and grab a few pieces of ceramic tile.
                          Get a few extras... I have had them crack using them as a heat block for indirect grilling on my S-M Provided® Weber
                          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I think I will just wait for the stone.
                            Weber Smoky Joe
                            18" Weber Silver
                            22.5" Weber Gold
                            22.5" Weber Silver
                            UDS X 2
                            5" AMZNPS
                            Vortex x 2
                            Maverick ET 73
                            Maverick ET 732
                            Pitmaster iQue 110
                            sigpic

Comment

Looks tasty, loving the list of ingredients and glad you used mozz. Lots of folks will add things like cheddar which does work BUT cheddar cheese is kind of forbidden in strombolis.

Originally posted by tenacious bee View Post
                              As far as I know most pizza places use the same dough for both calzones and strombolis. The difference between the two is as iceman describes from what I was told by the owner of a very popular pizza joint around here. Calzone usually has ricotta cheese and is folded. Ingredients are cut into larger chunks with very little sauce added. The dough is tossed less than pizza to keep it thick. Stromboli is rolled with pretty much what goes on a pizza and the dough is tossed thinner than pizza. I imagine this varies from one pizza guy to the next but that is what I know so I am going with it.
                              Yup

Being relatively close to NY we have loads of pizza places around here, most of them run by your typical New York Italian...Hey, whatsa matta you? Vaffanculo! Boppity boopy...
                              and they are all done as The Bee described.
                              There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X