Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seriously don't bother trying to make skimmed milk cheese - really don't :-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seriously don't bother trying to make skimmed milk cheese - really don't :-)

so I did an experiment last night.

Did one batch with 0.1% skimmed milk as normal paneer (add acid when boiling)
    and one batch with whole milk but added the acid at 75c (167f)
    Why ?
    why not :-)

Pressed both overnight with the water filled milk bottle method.
    results below

left hand is the skimmed milk cheese right the whole milk.

close up of the skimmed milk cheese

As you can see you don't get much yield from the skimmed milk.
    It also behaves quite odd when you add the acid, instead if forming lots of curd lumps it just formed a single lump. weird.

It's like tasteless rubber very hard and even after mixing in the seasonings it's not worth eating.

About the only thing it's got going for it is the fact you could cut it into lumps for sticking on a kebab and grilling. I suppose with a bit of marinade and bit of crispiness it might - just - be rendered edible.
    But I wouldn't bet too much on it :-)

(a short while and a hot frying pan later)
    (changed title and some text after frying so if you still see the 'don't make this title - that's why :-)

Well actually, cooked it's pretty good
    And defintiely firm and solid enough for kebabs.
    So maybe worth making after all :-)
    (for the record the mushrooms went on top of 2 slices of fried bread and were topped off with a fried egg each. Not overly healthy but a damn good lunch )
    And the whole milk I added the acid to early (a bit like queso blanko) - that was also a bit weird. The curds formed as tiny bits.
    I poured the whole saucepan through the colander to get it in the netting.

Makes it easier to mix the seasonings in and tastes okay - but texture very bitty. Would be good for cream cheese though.

I think I'll cook it and hopefully that'll firm the texture up a bit.
    (currently cooling down after 25 minutes in the oven)

The skimmed milk cheese is the closest thing to commercial haloumi I've made yet.
    Definitely just for cooking - but for that purpose it's actually rather good :-)
    And virtually fat free to boot :-)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 05-23-2012, 08:31 AM.
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

i dunno Alex, grew up on a dairy farm and when we had blizzards in winter sometimed the trucks wouldnt get through to pick up the milk and we ran out of storage. at that point we would separate the skim from the cream and then just store the cream... is what got you the $$$ anyway. everyone had a milk separator back then.

but we all made some sort of cheese from the skim and it ended up in curds not a whole lump like yours. was stinky but dang when cooked it was some of the best stuff i have ever had.

i have been talking with Djay Deb about this and am gonna give it a try down the road hopefully soon.
    Charbroil SFB
    GOSM
    MES
    Dutch Ovens and other CI
    Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
    Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

was weird just all coagulated into one lump.
      Might try it again and see if I get the same result.
      But yeah, it's not edible till it's grilled or fried.

Definitely the closest to commercial haloumi though.
      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post

we used to toss the curds in a pan with butter, S&P, and a tad of milk(i dont really remember but going of what my mom says...) but it ended up a nice slightly off white you could pour or spoon over toast. all i can remember it was some good stuff.
        Last edited by erain; 05-23-2012, 12:28 PM.
        Charbroil SFB
        GOSM
        MES
        Dutch Ovens and other CI
        Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
        Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Good stuff and comments fellas........ON a side note......My mom grew up on a farm and only drank milk from the cows on farm and i was raised on skim milk.......Before she retired she had a conversation with a fella at work and he mentioned how skim milk could not be as beneficial as whole milk for a kid etc....stunt your growth maybe....

Well... she is 4 foot eleven......I am 6 foot two......

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post

I wonder if it has anything to do with homogenization and/or pasteurization? I don't know if the skim you used was either of those, but I do wonder if has effects in cheese making.
            Mike
            Life In Pit Row

Comment

Originally posted by PitRow View Post
              I wonder if it has anything to do with homogenization and/or pasteurization? I don't know if the skim you used was either of those, but I do wonder if has effects in cheese making.
              both. homogenised and pasteurised.
              But so is the whole milk and that just forms big lumpy softish curds.

You wouldn't have thought 4% fat would make this big a difference.

I'll definitely try it again - if it works the same next time then it'll become my home made haloumi substitute :-)
              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
              X