help.. question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help.. question...

I see how you all are such great gardeners so I figure I would give it a go... I am planting some veggies as I am digging the ground I get this overwhelming smell of amonia... CAT PEE??? what do I do? can you plant veggies where cats have peed? and what do i do to get the cats not to pee there? I have a little fence but apparently that is not working.. and no bb guns are not an option!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Well you know what I always say? The only good cat is a .....................But obviously you're a cat lover. I'm sorry.
    Anyway, cat urine will burn your plants. The best thing to do is turn the dirt over every couple of weeks for the rest of the growing season adding a little compost now and then and prepare it for next year. Take a soil sample to your local university extension office and have them test it. They'll tell you how much lime, sand, etc. you'll need to get into shape.
    Oops, I forgot abut your other question. A BB gun isn't big enough, you'll need at least a .22 or even better, a 410. Just kidding.
    Wireless fence and shock collars. Sorry, if the cat is not trained from a kitten, not to do his/her business there, you can't stop them.
    Last edited by Gunslinger; 05-16-2009, 01:36 PM. Reason: Forgot to answer second question.

Tom

Comment

Thank you Gunny!
      Argh! I need to plant some where else? and use that spot for next year... stupid cats!!!!!!
      Is there anything that keeps cats out of the a garden?...

Comment

Kelly, I don't know if it will work on cats, but it works on rabbits. My dogs don't care. Although I don't have a big garden, only 20 pepper plants, these two guards do the trick.

They're solid rubber and I got them off Amazon. Ebay has them as well. Since our fox are gone, the rabbits have exploded. So, this is the second year I need to guard my peppers. Worked fine last yeat and so far, so good this one as well.
        Pete
        Large BGE
        Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

You may be able to treat the soil with lime to drop the acidity. Also, a sprinkle of moth crystals around the area may help keep the critters out. Not as well as lead crystals, but...
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

if you dont wish to harvest your ferral cats..... anyway thats what i would call them and target practice they would be. there is this...

http://www.luvmycritters.com/Homemad...Repellent.html

i love this part...
            Another natural product which many people claim really keeps a cat out of the garden is lion's dung. You may need to visit your local zoo to obtain this

http://www.critter-repellent.com/cat...-flowerbed.php

http://flowergardens.suite101.com/ar..._in_the_garden
            Charbroil SFB
            GOSM
            MES
            Dutch Ovens and other CI
            Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
            Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bbqgoddess View Post
              I see how you all are such great gardeners so I figure I would give it a go... I am planting some veggies as I am digging the ground I get this overwhelming smell of amonia... CAT PEE??? what do I do? can you plant veggies where cats have peed? and what do i do to get the cats not to pee there? I have a little fence but apparently that is not working.. and no bb guns are not an option!
              hey, not a good thing to ask the guys how to take care of GATOS p-in in the garden. and you are correct BB guns only wound, cripple and maim.

what would be an easy fix? well if you can throw some of the garden soil out in to the yard and try to incorperate it into the yard would be a start. water it down. then get some garden soil from the wally and mart world..normally out back they have busted bags that you can get a deal on.if they are real bad (broken) I ask if I can just hual it off for them and they give it up free.
              when you get the garden going. before bed just water and keep the top soil moist. cat's don't like to get their feet and paws wet. that may help keep them out.
              here is a link to predator pp
              http://www.predatorpee.com/

when I bring home dead bobcats from the hunt and the two stupid cats come out to greet me. I pick them up and put them on the tail gate.whoa! when they see and smell the bob they pee all over them selves and run fast out of the area. bob cat mist may help keep em out of the garden and the area. but that stuff is foul..almost need a hazmat out fit to work with it.lol.
              sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
              nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Originally posted by Abelman View Post
                Kelly, I don't know if it will work on cats, but it works on rabbits. My dogs don't care. Although I don't have a big garden, only 20 pepper plants, these two guards do the trick.

They're solid rubber and I got them off Amazon. Ebay has them as well. Since our fox are gone, the rabbits have exploded. So, this is the second year I need to guard my peppers. Worked fine last yeat and so far, so good this one as well.

what are we supposed to be looking at pete?

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Fake snakes Black & Yellow.
                  Sunset Eagle Aviation
                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Walking Dude View Post
                    Yeah, RUBBER?

I see bricks and wire.

Comment

What I'm doing this year to try and get my clay soil better each year without spending a gazillion bucks to do it (my composter just doesn't put out enough) is to dig a hole shovel deep and at least shovel wide and fill it up with potting soil and put my plants in that. That way I'm giving it localized good dirt to grow in, and when I end up tilling it in (with some sand, whatever compost I have and lime) I'll continue to get the rest of the garden better and better I hope.

Cat problems. Let's see...no guns huh? Looks like it's time to get a dog! If that's not enough by itself, comb just a dab of bacon grease into the cat's fur!

Comment

Originally posted by Walking Dude View Post

lol. if pete don't get back in time.
                        check out 2 and 9 oclock in de garden you will see two circle lookin things black and yellow green lookin in color. they be snakes...lol.
                        pete the road runners here would have a field day on them.lol. I put some owl's up at the other place to try and keep the flyin rats and bunnys out.
                        I guess hungger and the need for shade over comes. as the flyin rats pooped on the owl while the rabbits stood in it's shade. just the sound of several differnt air rifles kept em at bay.

here is me keepin the gardnen safe..
                        http://www.addictinggames.com/blacksheepacres.html

(hint ground rats pop up close)
                        sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
                        nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Have you considered a bucket garden?
                          I good free source for buckets are concrete finishers that stamp and color concrete. A lot of color, hardeners, and stains come in buckets and wash out really well. Check your yellow pages for "Increte" under "concrete contractors," and there should be a list of finishers that use Increte products. Call them, they always have loads of buckets. Then, if you have a pickup, rather than buying bags of top or potting soil, you just take a pickup load of buckets to the nearest top soil excavator, and fill up your buckets for a couple of bucks.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
                            Fake snakes Black & Yellow.
                            We have a winner among others
                            Pete
                            Large BGE
                            Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

Thank you E for the links.
                              Once again my S-M family has enlightened me, thank you all for your help!
                              I have removed the old dirt, put new and now going to try to keep it wet. I also am gonna stand watch and see if I can't catch said cat in the act and spray it with some water....
                              Pete, I love the snakes, might just get a couple of those for chits and giggles, prolly scare the crap out of the neighborhood kids!

Comment

Working...
                              X