Looking for a Johnsonville style brat seasoning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a Johnsonville style brat seasoning

Call me crazy but I love the flavor of Johnsonville brats. I have made my own venison/pork brats but the brat seasoning I used doesn't taste anything remotely close to what a Johnsonville style brat tastes like. Does anyone have a recipe or know of a mix I could order that would resemble the brat flavor I am looking for? I have some venison in the freezer that I need to us up this summer so I am going to make a few different kinds of sausage that I have been wanting to try.
    Propane Smoke Shack
    UDS
    Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
    sigpic

Man you ain't crazy...I love me some smoke johnsonville brats. Be watching the responses on this fo sho!
    BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
    Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
    I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

I found a thread over on another site and it lead me to this web site with lots of recipes. They have a Johnsonville Clone on there. It's under the Brat section and it's called Wisconsin Style.
      It's got all kinds of ingredients I've never used when making my sausage in the past. Sucrose, Phosphate, Citric Acid and MSG just to name a few. I'm not sure where I will locate some of these items???

Here is the link. http://lpoli.50webs.com/Sausage%20recipes.htm
      Propane Smoke Shack
      UDS
      Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
      sigpic

Comment

Ross, Butcher and Packer has some of those i'm pretty sure. I think i read/heard somewhere the Johnsonville brats are about 30% fat. I love em too and as Dana noted they are killer smoked.
        sigpic

Comment

Have you tried Gunslingers brat recipe? It is top notch.
          Please ignore all spelling errors and typos my pet monkey does all of my corespondence

Comment

Love me some Johnsonville Brats too, just picked up a pack.
            Even better when smoked then tossed onto the grill to finish

And I'm Pro-MSG in foods, have a big shaker of it I got at a restaurant supply place near here.
            MSG not only enhances the flavors of foods it also will have 1/3 the amount of sodium that using regular salt will give you

And I could be wrong but I thought traditionally Brats were about 45% fat
            Last edited by Fire it up; 05-25-2012, 02:44 PM.
            There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fire it up View Post
              And I could be wrong but I thought traditionally Brats were about 45% fat
              It's prolly me that's off..... Deal with numbers & %'s all day at work..... I'm taking the rest of the day off

I'm thinking I heard something like that 45% fat for Jimmy Dean sausage also..... Personally, I don't add extra fat when making any sausage, just the ratio off the pork butt.... Butt, that's just me, call me crazy & I am.....

Butt, I'm oficially an off work for the 3 day weekend crazy mofo
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                Butt, I'm oficially an off work for the 3 day weekend crazy mofo
                Time to party down and get a little bit of a whole lotta crazy!
                There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

Check out the nutrition label: An 82g link has 21g of fat. 190 of the 260 calories comes from fat. So it's about 26% fat by weight, or 73% of the calories come from fat. One brat gives you 32% of your recommended daily intake of fat. On the other hand, they are low carb

Comment

Penzeys has a great brat seasoning that comes close to jville. And its dirt cheap.
                    Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Working...
                    X