Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drink of the week - The Brass Monkey two ways...regular and ghetto. That Funky Monkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drink of the week - The Brass Monkey two ways...regular and ghetto. That Funky Monkey

A couple weeks ago me and the neighbors were holding a planning meeting for the foruth of July...we decided that we can't do our usual blow out party due to the 4th falling on a Wednesday.

We then started talking drinks that we used to have during our mis-spent youth. I used to drink a pre mixed drink with alcohol in it much like a pre made margarita, and it was called the Brass Monkey. We got it at the liquor store, and the brass monkey was responsible for many a next day headache, and lots of late night chicanery. One of my neighbors fondly remembered having them too.

I got to looking around, and figured out what was in that delicious elixer, so here we go.

For this drink, here are the players...

The key ingredient is called galliano. It is a fun liquer...it has a slightly anise taste, along with some herbs...and it goes wonderfully with the orange juice. I had to search this out specially to make some Brass Monkeys...this bottle was about 40 bones, but they also sell a bottle for half of that. Here is a website dedicated to this unique liquor...http://www.galliano.com/ which includes 7 infusions, and six distillations. It has more than 30 hand picked herbs and spices including Anise, juniper, lavender, peppermint, and vanilla.

Take 2 ounces of vodka
    Add 2 ounces of Rum
    Add 1 ounce of Galliano
    Fill the glass up with orange juice
    Add ice and stir...get ready for the fun to begin!

OK, that is the version I used to have. In doing my research, there is also another version and it goes like this

Get a 40 ounce Colt 45
    Drink it down to the top of the label
    Fill it up with orange juice and enjoy.

I think that is what this song was about...(I had not heard this song until we were sitting around talking about this drink).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBbQyXZvkbA&ob=av2n
    Last edited by BBQ Engineer; 05-25-2012, 08:08 PM.
    BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
    Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
    I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Ahhhh.....memories.
    Used to drink the Hell out of brass monkey.
    That, cisco, boones farm and black sambuca. Not all together of course but those were the shit drinks of my youth. Oh, and yukon jack with lime.

for bringing up some great memories.

And I think I'll go for the non-ghetto version.
    There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

Looks like I'm back.....

Citron on the rocks with a splash of water.... Mmmmm,,,
      Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

That sure sounds interesting though I'm laying off the OJ onna count of the freakin' carbs. Do remember sucking down many a Colt 45 before I even had knots. That shit will put you down in a minute. In fact, it's what I learned to shotgun for the first time. Imagine I did a lot of first time things tossing them babies back.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
          Looks like I'm back.....

Tex, have a great weekend!
          BBQ Eng.

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
            Tex, have a great weekend!
            And don't get drunk and think it's suddenly a good idea to run a marathon or up and down some stairs while jump roping.

Take 'er easy

sigpic

Comment

Looks like I'm back.....

Woohoo! Big Daddy on it! Maybe run through backyard nekkid. Naddy (not nattie) up!

Comment

While enjoying your drinks, just remember these truths.

sigpic

Comment

You sparked a far gone memory with this thread. Long long ago in a land far far away... "Fox Island" WA!

Anyway... I attended a Yucca party. I was a whiskey drinker by nature and though "WTF is a Yucca".. After some knee boarding behind a boat full of idiots (me included - we were young), we tied up to the pier and headed in doors. It was getting too dark to continue with knee boarding safely. We were all thirsty and within 15 minutes someone yells Yucca and the lights go out. Out of the kitchen come sa bright neon green glow. It was coming from a giant mayonnaise type jar filled with a green glowing liquid and was full of lemons and limes.

No cups, glasses etc... We sat there and laughed and talked while passing around this big jar. I thought it was pretty darn cool back then. I found it different and it just set the mood for the evening. Only thing missing was a camp fire. I woke up many hours later on the lawn just above the beach. Don't know how I got there; don't remember much after passing the jar around. I must have had a blast... I think...
                  I'm probably going to try and get some friends over here tomorrow evening to see if I can bring back that Yucca Magic!

Yucca Recipe

Ingredients
                  7 cup(s) Vodka
                  8 Lemons
                  8 Limes
                  1 cup(s) Sugar
                  2 Neon Green Glow Sticks
                  Instructions
                  Cut up the eight lemons and eight limes. Put them into a large Gallon jar or container. Add the vodka and the sugar, and fill the rest of the with ice. Shake the vigorously and stir for an hour. It does get tiresome. The end result is a drink that taste just like lemonade, and it actually is straight vodka! Your not done yet... Take a couple neon green glow sticks and charge them. Once they are glowing rinse them well then drop them into the jar. If your worried you can vacuum pack them and trim off the excess then drop them in there. Your jar will be glowing bright neon green like its radioactive. I thought the effects were cool. I have looked at many recipes. Some call for allot more sugar and some water. The one we had was mostly lemons, limes Vodka and some sugar. This recipe is the closest I have found to what I remember.

If I do this tomorrow I will shoot a video on it's creation and what it looks like out on the deck at night.
                  Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
                  Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
                  SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
                  Yoder Wichita
                  Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
                  Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
                  Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

Looks like I'm back.....

Cheers Ken
                    sigpic

Comment

Looks like I'm back.....

How ironic. A guy I work with is what he likes to call a professional drinker He swears by vodka,filtered or bottled water with a squeeze of lemon. Says it the easiest on the body as the water helps hydration reducing or eliminating hangover effect. I have a bottle of Citron and a bag of lemons all set to run my "experiment" tomorrow night.
                      Weber Smoky Joe
                      18" Weber Silver
                      22.5" Weber Gold
                      22.5" Weber Silver
                      UDS X 2
                      Masterbuilt 30" MES digital
                      Masterbuilt MES 40" digital
                      Masterbuilt cold smoke attachment
                      Char-Broil Big Easy 3 in 1
                      Char-Broil COS with Ron Fischer mods.
                      Dual Char-Broil BBQ Bistros
                      Blackstone three burner flat top
                      5" AMZNPS
                      Vortex x 2
                      Maverick ET 73
                      Maverick ET 732
                      Maverick Pro Temp instant read thermometer
                      Thermo Works Smoke Dual Channel Thermometer
                      Pitmaster iQue 110
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tenacious bee View Post
                        How ironic. A guy I work with is what he likes to call a professional drinker He swears by vodka,filtered or bottled water with a squeeze of lemon. Says it the easiest on the body as the water helps hydration reducing or eliminating hangover effect.
                        I don't know, lately I have been drinking vodka and filtered water and I seem to wake up thirstier and occasionally with a slight headache more so that when I mix it with something like my standard sweat tea mixture

Right now doing vodka and Snapple peach iced tea

sigpic

Comment

yep......sewer atetr.......,

big d .............

Originally posted by Fire it up View Post
                          I don't know, lately I have been drinking vodka and filtered water and I seem to wake up thirstier and occasionally with a slight headache more so that when I mix it with something like my standard sweat tea mixture

Comment

Originally posted by ALX View Post
                            yep......sewer atetr.......,
                            Well if you're referring to the vodka then I'll give ya that, 5 O'clock vodka, cause it's always 5 O'clock somewhere...definitely not good shit.

But Snapple, it even says right on the bottle that it's made from the best stuff on Earth...
                            Why would they lie?

And now without High Fructose Corn Syrup

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Wingman View Post
                              You sparked a far gone memory with this thread. Long long ago in a land far far away... "Fox Island" WA!

If I do this tomorrow I will shoot a video on it's creation and what it looks like out on the deck at night.
                              Rob, I would love to see that...sounds like some of the stuff we used to do at some of our impromptu parties...with names like purple jesus or trashcan punch. There are entire weekends I can't remember with some of that stuff! I love the idea of the glow sticks in a jug.

Originally posted by Fire it up View Post

Jim, I just got hooked on the new sweet tea vodka and lemonade...love me some snapple peach...and I got a jug o vodka!
                              BBQ Eng.

Comment

Working...
                              X