Question about Canadian Bacon smoking temps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Canadian Bacon smoking temps

I have some pork loins curing for a Canadian Bacon smoke this coming weekend, just had a quick question about smoking temps.

I have never done CB before but I have made Buckboard bacon from a boston butt. The instructions that came with the Buckboard cure kit stated to smoke at 150 degrees for 45 minutes then at 200 degrees until and internal temp of 140 is reached.
    But I have also read in other threads of people smoking CB at regular smoking temps 225+

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts of the pros/cons of following temps similar to the Buckboard vs. higher regular smoking temps.
    KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

when i smoke my CB, i smoke at 250 till internals of 160.

on edit:

the cons of those temps you posted, to me, are a pain in the ass to maintain, unless you are using a gasser.

my cb tastes just fine when i do it this way. I also believe cowgirl does it this way, and i THINK jb1 also.
    Last edited by Walking Dude; 05-18-2009, 04:28 PM.

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

To my mind..loins should be kept to maybe 145 or so. There's no fat to render, and any that there is you wanna keep for frying. As it is..I always add a dollop of bacon fat for frying CB.
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Walking Dude View Post
        the cons of those temps you posted, to me, are a pain in the ass to maintain, unless you are using a gasser.

my cb tastes just fine when i do it this way. I also believe cowgirl does it this way, and i THINK jb1 also.
        I will be using a horizontal offset and don't think the temps will be too much of a problem, didn't really have trouble when doing the buckboard anyway. If the higher temps just keep things simpler that might be worth it though.

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
        To my mind..loins should be kept to maybe 145 or so. There's no fat to render, and any that there is you wanna keep for frying. As it is..I always add a dollop of bacon fat for frying CB.
        I was thinking of taking it to 160 just so I could slice and eat, or for sandwiches. But I did sliced the loin into two sections with different seasonings on each. Maybe I should just take one to 140 for frying and one to 160 for snacking.
        KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

I like cold smoking my bacons... both CB and slab. It gives me more options on how I want to cook it later.

One of my favorites is chicken fried canadian bacon...

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=285
          jeanie

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by cowgirl View Post
            I like cold smoking my bacons... both CB and slab. It gives me more options on how I want to cook it later.

One of my favorites is chicken fried canadian bacon...

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=285
            You know I was looking at that post as I poked around in the bacon forum before I asked this question, You made me hungry....again. Now I have more decisions to make.
            KCBS/CBJ #56408

Comment

Originally posted by wutang View Post
              You know I was looking at that post as I poked around in the bacon forum before I asked this question, You made me hungry....again. Now I have more decisions to make.
              Adam, I don't smoke my bacons to reach a certain internal temperature. I cold smoke for flavor and smoke them as long as 6 hrs to 16 or more hours depending on the wood I'm using. I go by color.
              Usually smoke at 65 degrees but have cold smoked a bit higher.

I know your bacon is going to be tasty no matter what you decide to do with it.
              jeanie

Comment

Originally posted by cowgirl View Post
                Adam, I don't smoke my bacons to reach a certain internal temperature. I cold smoke for flavor and smoke them as long as 6 hrs to 16 or more hours depending on the wood I'm using. I go by color.
                Usually smoke at 65 degrees but have cold smoked a bit higher.

I know your bacon is going to be tasty no matter what you decide to do with it.
                Thanks for the vote of confidence. Now I just have to start looking for materials to build a smokehouse Maybe for the next batch
                KCBS/CBJ #56408

Comment

I have always followed Jeanies' instructions to the "T", she has never let me down.

Good luck with your loins...................
                  20x36 BYC by Klose Modified
                  36" Jenn-Air NG Grill
                  22" webber
                  several burners
                  pool/spa (of course)
                  sigpic

Comment

seeing how i don't have a cold smoke house, and can only cold smoke in the winter, i hot smoke mine to 160, like you mentioned, for sandwiches........bout all i use it for in fact.........unless i put it in Capt. Dans omlets. I want it cooked in that use also.......

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Now I just have to start looking for materials to build a smokehouse Maybe for the next batch
                      Adam, I have so much faith in your abilities..... I bet you could pump some cool smoke into the air intake on your fine new drum.
                      jeanie

Comment

I was thinking of taking it to 160 just so I could slice and eat, or for sandwiches. But I did sliced the loin into two sections with different seasonings on each. Maybe I should just take one to 140 for frying and one to 160 for snacking.

That's not a bad plan. I did just that with my batch. Then vac'ed it up. I now have some for throwing on pizzas or frying for breakfast. The others I can eat on crackers or sammies. Up to you what you want to do with it though.
                        S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                        CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                        New Braunfels Bandera
                        UniFlame Gas Grill
                        Lil Chief

Comment

it'll be fine little buddy... the last one I did was hot smoked to 152... was a great color... pics coming soon... it sure didn't last long around the pond...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X