Generator/Power Inverter Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generator/Power Inverter Question

I have a 6000 watt noisy generator that is overkill for operating a pellet grill remotely. Wondering what size of a small generator would sufficiently operate the hot rod, auger, fan and display of pellet grill?

Also curious what other opinions are on using a 12 volt deep cycle battery and a power inverter. What size inverter would I need and do you think a fully charge battery would provide 6 to 10 hours of pellet grill operation?
    --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
    www.OwensBBQ.com

honda has some that just whisper when you run them. however quite does have a price $$$$

that said i have a couple of pawn shops around here that specialize in tools and construction equipment
    Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Depends entirely on the watt rating of your grill...

from what I was able to find, a Traeger lil' tex uses 300 watts when the heat rod is on, then drops to about 50. So I'd say given that, even a 1000 watt generator would be plenty to run it. Not sure about the bigger models though. Like C.O.S. says, some of the honda gens are super quite. My parents have a pair of 2000s that they hook in sync to run their 4th wheel and they barely make any noise at all.

For the inverter question, it's going to depend largely on the size battery you get and the efficiency of the inverter. Figure a good deep cycle is about 100 amp hours, and at 300 watts (assuming a perfect inverter with no losses) you're pulling 25 amps, so you'd only get about 4 hours from the battery.
      Last edited by PitRow; 06-07-2012, 11:00 PM.
      Mike
      Life In Pit Row

Comment

Directly from Don Cary:

"Once lit the YS640 consumes less than 1 amp"

Comment

I would have to agree that the new Honda generators are quite as hell. One of the guys who splices fiber optic for us from time to time has one and he puts it in the back of his truck and you barely even notice it running when you walk by. I haven't ever priced them out though.
          Propane Smoke Shack
          UDS
          Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
          sigpic

Comment

Also if you find an inverter that will work for you and one battery can't run it long enough you can just hook several other batteries up in parallel if you need to run it longer.
            Propane Smoke Shack
            UDS
            Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PitRow View Post
              from what I was able to find, a Traeger lil' tex uses 300 watts when the heat rod is on, then drops to about 50. So I'd say given that, even a 1000 watt generator would be plenty to run it. Not sure about the bigger models though. Like C.O.S. says, some of the honda gens are super quite. My parents have a pair of 2000s that they hook in sync to run their 4th wheel and they barely make any noise at all.

For the inverter question, it's going to depend largely on the size battery you get and the efficiency of the inverter. Figure a good deep cycle is about 100 amp hours, and at 300 watts (assuming a perfect inverter with no losses) you're pulling 25 amps, so you'd only get about 4 hours from the battery.
              The Honda, or Coleman has a quiet series... is the way to go Marty. Then you have some power for a light or whatever...
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Here is Don Cary's reply to my question - It peaks at about 8 amps between the 2:30 and 3:00 minute mark, this is when the hot rod has reached its maximum draw. After the power is removed from the hot rod the requirement is about 1 amp.
                --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
                www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by MossyMO View Post
                  Here is Don Cary's reply to my question - It peaks at about 8 amps between the 2:30 and 3:00 minute mark, this is when the hot rod has reached its maximum draw. After the power is removed from the hot rod the requirement is about 1 amp.
                  8 amps is pretty solid... So it's pulling that for 3 mins...an inverter would need to be 8x120 about 1KW. Helluva load on the bat...
                  In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                  Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                  Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I use a Honda 2000.
                    G'Pa Herb's herbs
                    KCBS CBJ CTC

Yoder YS640 w/black comp cart
                    Custom made Chimney mount for Mavericks w/6' leads

Pictures of my "tool" http://smoked-meat.com/forum/album.php?albumid=258

Comment

Ok Mossy, here is my best guess solution i have for my insulated cabinet that uses a traeger auger system.

I can unhook the igniter rod with a snap connector in the controller panel. Then get the fan running and use my hand torch to light the pellets.

This lowers the amp draw considerably during startup.

With the fan and auger it pulls ~1 amp @ 120v = 5 amp @ 24v

So i can hook 2 deep cycle 12v 100 amphour batteries in series.

This creates a 24v 100 amp hour battery.

I have a 24v input 1,000w inverter.

So in a perfect world it would mean i could pull 5 amps for 20 hours off the 24v side and it would give me 1 amp on the 120v side.

But with loss through the inverter and only wanting to discharge the battery to ~60% to avoid damaging it.

I am confident 10 hours is attainable!
                      "Because without beer, things do not seem to go as well"

Comment

I just got the Honda 3000is, and it purrs like a kitten. It's Awesome!!!
                        Electric start too, but it cost me just under $2000. Not cheap, but we lost electric here last year for 3 days & for 6 days, not to mention some short ones too.

I can't take that chance with all those Prime Ribs and such in my Meat Freezer!!!!

Bear
                        Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                        Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

here is a link to the honda page that lists the MSRP
                          http://powerequipment.honda.com/gene...nal-generators
                          Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
                            I just got the Honda 3000is, and it purrs like a kitten. It's Awesome!!!
                            Electric start too, but it cost me just under $2000. Not cheap, but we lost electric here last year for 3 days & for 6 days, not to mention some short ones too.

I can't take that chance with all those Prime Ribs and such in my Meat Freezer!!!!

Bear
                            I had one of the 3000is generators too, but it was just too heavy to cart around. The Honda Inverter generators are the best in my book.
                            G'Pa Herb's herbs
                            KCBS CBJ CTC

Yoder YS640 w/black comp cart
                            Custom made Chimney mount for Mavericks w/6' leads

Pictures of my "tool" http://smoked-meat.com/forum/album.php?albumid=258

Comment

Originally posted by Herb's herbs View Post
                              I had one of the 3000is generators too, but it was just too heavy to cart around. The Honda Inverter generators are the best in my book.
                              Yup---Not light---weighs about 130 pounds empty.
                              You can get wheel kits, but I opted not to.

I only gotta get it from my garage to my front porch when needed.
                              And that's why I talked Mrs Bear into to have a Son instead of a daughter!!!!

I had been borrowing one of my Son's 5000 watt generators he uses for his business, but I can't take the chance of all of them being on the jobs when I need one, and those aren't inverter gens anyway.
                              I paid $1983, including shipping---much better price than any other new ones I could find on the Net.

Bear
                              Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                              Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Working...
                              X