Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me choose

Greetings all,
    This is my first post on this forum, other than the intro. I've been on a couple of other forums and am looking for some buying advice. My background in smoking is my first smoker was a bar b chef offset stick burner. It worked pretty good, but the usual issues of constant fire tending was a pain for a backyarder like me. So about 2 years ago I got a Masterbuilt XL propane smoker. It was cheap, big & convenient, but I have never been happy with it. Constant temp fluctuations was the major reason, even with a lot of modifications.

So I decided Im going to make the jump to a pellet smoker and have my choices narrowed down to 3 different grills. Im looking into the $1000-1500 range and my research has me pointed to a Green Mountain Grills Jim Bowie, Yoder, YS640 or a Fast Eddy PG500. There is a great store in Tempe Az, BBQ Islands, that carries all 3 brands. Obviously there are a lot of Yoder owners here, but what do y'all think about the other 2 models?

I'm headed that way this weekend to look at them and want to get your feedback too.
    Thanks in advance
    Mike
    Proud to be I.B.E.W.

PCa Sucks - But I WILL, No DID beat this!!

Yoder YS640
    POS ChinaMasterbuilt XL (demoted to cold smoking duty)
    Bull Big Bahanga gas grill

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!

sigpic
    New Braunfels Bandera
    New Braunfels Hondo
    4-22.5" Weber Kettles
    1-26" Weber Kettle
    24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
    Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

I have no experience with any of them but the Yoders are made in the USA and is the Fast Eddy built by Cookshack? If so, their electric smokers are (or were?) built in Oklahoma. Heard of Green Mountain butt dont know much aboot them.

Just recently heard a company has a pellet ceramic aboot to come on the market, or might be by now. I beleive its a Canadian co. Broilking? Or something like that.
      sigpic

Comment

Amen Mikey to the NO Chinese products!! The Masterbuilt was reasonably made, but you get what you pay for. Chinese or not, That's a good Question for the Fast Eddy, but I know the GMG and Yoder are made here!
        Mike
        Proud to be I.B.E.W.

Yoder YS640

Comment

Correction, the Fast Eddy is made in the good ol US of A too.

http://http://www.bbqislandinc.com/f...ack-PG500.html
          Mike
          Proud to be I.B.E.W.

Yoder YS640

Comment

I cant open your link on me phone. Is the fast eddy built by Cookshack?
            sigpic

Comment

Lift the lid on the GMG and then lift the lid on the Yoder...then walk around each and tap on things ...

I looked at the FE too, but it cooks differently and doesn't have the same grate real estate that the Yoder has.

Just a heads up, the BBQ Island pellets are made by Lumber Jack.

You can't go wrong with any of the pits you are looking at. Decide on what features you want, take into account the way they are made and what they are made out of. Just get one and start cooking!
              G'Pa Herb's herbs
              KCBS CBJ CTC

Yoder YS640 w/black comp cart
              Custom made Chimney mount for Mavericks w/6' leads

Pictures of my "tool" http://smoked-meat.com/forum/album.php?albumid=258

Comment

Excellent advice from all here. I would have to agree go american, go with what you want, go for the thick metal and well built units. I have heard alot about all the units here. A buddy owns the gmg he loves it i have the yoder and i love it. Several here have the fe units and love them. Its all about what your looking for and what you wanna do with it. Good luck in your decision.. pssst go Yoder

Comment

I have an Excel spread sheet that I compiled quite a bit of information on different pellet grills as a comparison chart that should be helpful in comparing different models. So far I can't seem to attach it to this post but will keep trying, if it is something you want to check out feel free to PM me your email address and I will send it to you.
                  --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
                  www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Thanks Mossymo
                    PM sent
                    Mike
                    Proud to be I.B.E.W.

Yoder YS640

Comment

more questions - what about clean up? How easy or hard are these units to clean?

And since they dont use any type of water pan, does it make any real difference in the cook? My old stick burner didnt use a water pan, but the propane unit does.
                      Mike
                      Proud to be I.B.E.W.

Yoder YS640

Comment

I am definitely partial to the Yoder but hey do your research and find the unit that you like and go with it.

The Yoder is just a kick ass cooker!!
                        Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
                        Yoder YS640
                        Weber Genesis
                        Weber 18.5" Kettle
                        Weber Performer
                        Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Yea yoder is awesome and clean up is a breeze with a shop vac after its cooled off. I just scrape down the expanded metal greats with a wire brush and putty knife and then rewrap my drip pan with foil and vaccum her out. Takes all of about 5-6 minutes if i hurry. I also find myself using citrus cleaner on the inside every 4-5 cooks i just spray it in and wipe it down i dont scrub it. I also clean around the door jams after and befrore every cook to ensure a good solid seal. I thought about getting some high heat silicone stripping to go around it for even better seal. I dont know yet still in the thinking phase... has anyone else done this yet?

Comment

Originally posted by cowleyms View Post
                            Yea yoder is awesome and clean up is a breeze with a shop vac after its cooled off. I just scrape down the expanded metal greats with a wire brush and putty knife and then rewrap my drip pan with foil and vaccum her out. Takes all of about 5-6 minutes if i hurry. I also find myself using citrus cleaner on the inside every 4-5 cooks i just spray it in and wipe it down i dont scrub it. I also clean around the door jams after and befrore every cook to ensure a good solid seal. I thought about getting some high heat silicone stripping to go around it for even better seal. I dont know yet still in the thinking phase... has anyone else done this yet?
                            That sure does sound like a lot of cleaning.

Why not just let it season (ie: don't clean it)

Or do the yoders come with a guarentee waver that if the grates don't absolutely sparkle in every photo you take they invalidate the warranty

Right back on topic.

Just been looking at the green mountain jim bowie

Very different to the yoder. In the yoder the pellets are burnt in the firebox and the hot air blown into the main chamber. In the GM the pellets are augered into the burn box which is in the centre of the main chamber with a fan below the hot box.
                            This means you lose a lot of depth and can only have the one shelf. Plus you're alway going to have ahotspot in the centre of the grill.

For me yoder definitely beats GM.

On to the fast eddy.
                            Wll for one thing it look HORRIBLE !

I just wouldn't have that on my patio.
                            The fast eddy is almost twice the weight of the GM - at 350 lbs with only the 2 wheels this is not going to be an easy lump to move around.
                            LIke the GM the fast eddy burns the pellets in the cook #ing chamber - in this case on the left.

Gives you a direct grilling option.
                            Here's a youtube walkaround with a prettier stainless steel model.
                            [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wplYAm3JgrE[/yt]

I've seen lots of yoder640s on here and asked a lot of 'dumb' questions.

Out of all three I'd go yoder, no question.
                            It's the only one that has the combustion not taking place in the cooking chamber - so more of a proper smoker. Plus the grilling setting defintiely works extremely well. The expanded metal shelfs are definitely superior to the more convention steel rod shelves of the other 2.
                            PLus both yoder shelves are full size. Not so on the eddy.

Rob has his on his balcony so it's got to be easier to move about than the eddy.
                            Yoder after sales has been proven to be excellent. And the price is right :-)

It's a no brainer for me.
                            Last edited by curious aardvark; 06-14-2012, 11:30 AM.
                            Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

http://pelletheads.com/index.php?act...e;topic=2642.0

Title: Re: Green Mountain Grill and Traeger
                              Post by: russman on February 08, 2010, 01:23:12 PM <hr> Just to be clear, the GMGs are made in China, but I'm the first person to honestly say that I'm surprised. I think I posted that in my Chronicles of my GMG life thread that I was a little worried about the made in China aspect. (I'm Chinese by the way...)

After speaking to David from GMG as well as other members and reading the review from Bentley, I took the plunge, with out even seeing the grill. I was ready to be disappointed when I opened my package, but boy was I wrong. This is a well made piece of equipment and I think it has to do with the high level of quality that David from GMG is imposing on the process. This can be seen by his customer service and genuine desire to make a great product.

I'm proud to own my Chinese made GMG and it continues to impress me...

Title: Re: Green Mountain Grill and Traeger
                              Post by: SuperDavesPelletPit on February 08, 2010, 07:59:04 PM <hr> Boy I suck my foot in my mouth ankle deep on that comment :laugh:. I didn't realize GMG were made in China. The only one I have seen is my fathers and it is way better quality then my Traeger But also twice the retail price new. Not to knock your county but most stuff that comes from China is not very good quality. But you do get what you pay for.

Dave
                              sigpic
                              New Braunfels Bandera
                              New Braunfels Hondo
                              4-22.5" Weber Kettles
                              1-26" Weber Kettle
                              24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
                              Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

Working...
                              X