First time mini UDS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time mini UDS

Not my first smoker build but my first UDS build. Ive got a 30 gal drum im planning on turing into a mini UDS. A weber smokey joe lid fits perfictly on the top and seals great. The cooking grate from the smokey joe fits inside the drum nicely. Still colecting parts for the charcoal basket trying to find some cheap/free expanded metal. Plan on useing some brass ball valves for the intakes. My question is has anybody on here built a mini uds and is the air vent on the smokey joe lid going to allow enough air flow? I know there wont be alot of room in it but should be able to fit a brisket or a chicken in it. Might even add a second rack if theres room. Ill be useing lump charcoal in it sence I make my own.

Originally posted by shadymaint View Post
    Not my first smoker build but my first UDS build. Ive got a 30 gal drum im planning on turing into a mini UDS. A weber smokey joe lid fits perfictly on the top and seals great. The cooking grate from the smokey joe fits inside the drum nicely. Still colecting parts for the charcoal basket trying to find some cheap/free expanded metal. Plan on useing some brass ball valves for the intakes. My question is has anybody on here built a mini uds and is the air vent on the smokey joe lid going to allow enough air flow? I know there wont be alot of room in it but should be able to fit a brisket or a chicken in it. Might even add a second rack if theres room. Ill be useing lump charcoal in it sence I make my own.

To answer your question... Yes, and Yes... The Mini Drums make great chicken smokers... Hot and fast....
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

I have a Mini..I did intall 2...3'4" nips/caps & a ball valve...Don't use it as much as me UDS...It was a great cookin chicken get after...might hafta dust it off!
      Sunset Eagle Aviation
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Any idea how big i should make my charcoal basket?

Comment

Originally posted by shadymaint View Post
          Any idea how big i should make my charcoal basket?
          I did this stainless steel colander from Target...Jack it with a load of yer fav charcoal...Chunks on that...
          Sunset Eagle Aviation
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Thanks ive got at least a half dozen stainless collanders around the house ill try and sneak one from the old lady. Should i put in a water pan/heat diffuser above the charcoal?

Comment

Finally started on the assembly of my mini uds. Welded three pipe nipples a couple inches from the bottom. Have caps for two of them and a elbow with a ball valve for the third. Got a lid and grate from a smokey joe that fit great. Do i need a water pan or heat diffuser? How far should i put my great above the charcoal basket?

Comment

I've never built a mini-uds, but, I use a deflector in both of my full size ones. My ecb came with a water pan that now has lava rock in it, covered with foil to act as a heat sink/diffuser.

If you do go with a diffuser, keep it a few inches above the charcoal basket, as I believe it chokes the coals to an extent if it sits right on top of the basket.

Hope to see pics soon!!

L8r,
                Eric

Comment

Working...
                X