Charcoal question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charcoal question

I've built a UDS and already seasoned it using Kingsford briquets. I noticed that there was a strong smell of lighting charcoal and white smoke coming out of the vent the entire burn, even with a stick of hickory in there. I lit about a dozen briquets and set them in the middle of the 3/4 full basket. I maintained a 230*to 280* throughout the burn. Is this the proper way to use the charcoal or am I doing something wrong?

I read a recent post that stated that lump would be a better choice than briquets. If so, how is the lump coal started? If I light a few lumps and set them in the middle of the basket full, will it smoke white like the briquets did or do I light the entire basket and try to control the heat with air flow?

Ditch the "Blue" bag and burn lump try it the same way Or Kingsford Comp also
    Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
    Weber 22.5" WSM
    Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
    Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
    Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
    Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
    Weber Smokey Joe
    GMG Daniel Boone
    Pit Barrel Cooker
    Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
    6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
    Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
    The Vortex

Comment

Apparently we get different Kingsford product here in the East. I have never had a problem with it at all. Does it ash up more then say Stubbs? Yes it does but for the money it works fine for me. Over Memorial Day picked up 200 lbs for $44.95.
      Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
      My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
      @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Dump the briquettes. Google chimney starter, and grab one. An awesome resource for charcoal reviews is thenakedwhiz.com. You will notice all the top products are lump.
        Lump charcoal burns hotter faster than briquettes, but it has no added things to help the dust keep its pretty shape.
        Stick with one brand of lump for atleast six months before you try another one. Think of it as making your own whiskey, would you change your recipe, and the type of barrel you age it in every batch? Once you are comfortable with brand X and your rubs, then switch up the wood to see what works.

Comment

I am not a fan of unlit charcoal in a smoker. Even lump can have "ewwie" startup fumes I have found. Use a charcoal chimney, light it all and tweak your vents is my call. YMMV.
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Doug S. View Post
            Ditch the "Blue" bag and burn lump try it the same way Or Kingsford Comp also
            What he said.

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
            Use a charcoal chimney, light it all and tweak your vents is my call. YMMV.
            If you light 3/4 of a charcoal basket (basket not chimney) full of lump or briquettes and put that in a UDS you'll be lucky to ever get the temp below 400° or 500°. I don't care how airtight you think your drum is. About 2" deep of charcoal in my 8" tall basket lit gives me 400°+. That's the way I do chicken. Can you imagine how hot it would be if I lit 3 times that much and was shooting for 250°??

Not only that, but you will be tryng to CHOKE down an already established fire. If you think always lighting charcoal stinks, just wait till you get a taste of your food after you cooked it over a fire that you were constantly trying to choke down.

UDS 101
            Fill the basket with unlit.
            Light a few briquettes or chunks of lump and put it in the middle of the unlit.
            Control the temp (how much additional fuel lights) with airflow. Do not build too big a fire to start with or it will be a constant battle.
            Lump works/smells MUCH better with the constant lighting scenario than charcoal but because of its non-uniform size does not burn as smooth and will require more attention to the air flow adjustments.

Dave
            CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
            UDS 1.0
            Afterburner
            Weber Performer
            Blue Thermapen
            Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
            Auber Smoker Controller
            Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
            -
            "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Working...
            X