Seasoning the new Yoder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seasoning the new Yoder

In my quest to get up to speed b4 my smoker gets here, Im interested in how you all season a new smoker these days. When I got my Masterbuilt 2 years ago, I just cleaned out the inside with 409 as good as possible, sprayed it with Pam, and threw some wood in for a smoke seasoning b4 any food went into it. I saw some people are using bacon?? I couldnt find it in the search window, so whats the method used with bacon? I assume it works because of the high fat content. Please explain.
    Mike
    Proud to be I.B.E.W.

PCa Sucks - But I WILL, No DID beat this!!

Yoder YS640
    POS ChinaMasterbuilt XL (demoted to cold smoking duty)
    Bull Big Bahanga gas grill

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!

I'd stick with the Pam...OR a Crisco coating by hand. Bacon seems kinda "iffy" in coverage? Now maybe rendered bacon fat... rubbed on...
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Ya, I thought the bacon method seemed strange. Think I'll stick with the Pam.
      Mike
      Proud to be I.B.E.W.

Yoder YS640

Comment

I did both with my Yoder... I first did the burn off and cleaned her off real real good, then sprayed with Pam and let it go for a few hours and then on went the bacon... to season up the grates a bit better prior to cooking other food on them... Good luck with your Yoder!! Just love mine!!.... Did you get extra pellets??? if not look into getting some real quick because by the time you do all that you will be down to about your last 20lbs that come with the unit! Anyway ask if you have questions as many here have been there and done that... and and help you out!
        Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
        Yoder YS640
        Weber Genesis
        Weber 18.5" Kettle
        Weber Performer
        Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Cant see why seasoning a pellet pooper would be any different than a stick burner...
          Just coat the inside with some kinda fat...oil, pam, bacon fat...Whatever...Take to a high heat for a while then bring the temps down to smokin level and run for a few hours...done
          Craig
          sigpic

Comment

Cool Deal! Now Im going to do some pellet reSEARCH (search box reference). The excitement is starting to build. It wont be here til next week, but I've already learned a lot here.

Thanks Gang
            Mike
            Proud to be I.B.E.W.

Yoder YS640

Comment

Originally posted by Otis857 View Post
              It wont be here til next week, but I've already learned a lot here.

Thanks Gang
              It's what we do. Gratis. And you are welcome :{)
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                It's what we do. Gratis. And you are welcome :{)
                Thats right...The folks here taught me most of what I know...Ya hang out here and you'll probably end up being a pretty damned good cook...Smoke on!
                Craig
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X