Water pan???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water pan???

This may sound like a dumb question, but I'll get a few of those in from time to time. My Masterbuilt has a water pan, as do most upright smokers that I know of. My old stick burner, an offset, didnt use one. I've seen no reference to anyone using a water pan in a pellet smoker, but would there be any real benefit to using one? I see plenty of Youtube videos of extra juicy meat coming out of pellet smokers, which may make this a moot point, but I've also taken out some dry meat out of my Masterbuilt even with a water pan.

I used a mix of apple juice, beer and whatever else came to mind in my Masterbuilt water pan. Whether it really did impart any flavor to the meat, I dont know. I also know it doubles as a heat sink, and some have filled their water pans up with sand just for the heat sink purpose alone.
    Mike
    Proud to be I.B.E.W.

PCa Sucks - But I WILL, No DID beat this!!

Yoder YS640
    POS ChinaMasterbuilt XL (demoted to cold smoking duty)
    Bull Big Bahanga gas grill

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!

Water pans are mainly a temp regulation thing... keeping temps down. The evap of the water removes heat from the surrounding air. I think it's pointless to put anything but water in the pans... most any "flavoring" is not gonna come out much in the steam. Perhaps some aromatics...like rosemary might have some small effect.

by filling with sand you get a heat "holder" and higher cooking temps. The "holder" part helps when you open the unit to do whatever..it helps get it back to temp faster.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

All kinds of opinions on this. My take is it serves as heat sink on the uprights more so than adding moisture. Most uprights like my ECB are fairly compact so a buffer between the coals and food is pretty much a must. Especially when using the bottom rack. I don't know enough about thermodynamics to be certain but I am thinking very little moisture from the pan will make into the meat. Plus the water cooks off . That means opening the smoker to refill. That means dealing with temp spikes. The sand will do a great job as a heat sink while needing no tending during the cook. My dry meat issues are always a result of overcooking and or not brining or marinating. That's my $.002 .

EDT: See above. He knows a bit about thermodynamics.
      Weber Smoky Joe
      18" Weber Silver
      22.5" Weber Gold
      22.5" Weber Silver
      UDS X 2
      Masterbuilt 30" MES digital
      Masterbuilt MES 40" digital
      Masterbuilt cold smoke attachment
      Char-Broil Big Easy 3 in 1
      Char-Broil COS with Ron Fischer mods.
      Dual Char-Broil BBQ Bistros
      Blackstone three burner flat top
      5" AMZNPS
      Vortex x 2
      Maverick ET 73
      Maverick ET 732
      Maverick Pro Temp instant read thermometer
      Thermo Works Smoke Dual Channel Thermometer
      Pitmaster iQue 110
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks Rich & TB. I listen to everyone's $0.02.

I do know that the steaming from the water pan has made for a slightly soggier bark on long smokes, and I was never really convinced that any flavor was really added to the meat by using apple juice. Guess I was following the crowd on that and I should trust my instincts more often.
        Mike
        Proud to be I.B.E.W.

Yoder YS640

Comment

yeap, heat sink. I have used sand, covered with foil, river stone, etc. just to keep heat close to smoke temp, for when you open up smoker.

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Originally posted by Otis857 View Post
            I do know that the steaming from the water pan has made for a slightly soggier bark on long smokes,
            never had that problem

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Depends on smoker IMO.........A reverse flow double insulated upright like a Backwoods is going to have a much different effect with water then say a Webber smoker mountain upright/direct style smoker......

My older brother always filled his WSM with Mickeys beer in pan........not sure if it imparted much,but we would get drunk on the leftover beer.....

Comment

Originally posted by tenacious bee View Post
                I don't know enough about thermodynamics to be certain but I am thinking very little moisture from the pan will make into the meat.
                Actually zero percent of the moisture from the pan will make it into the meat.

The moisture content of the meat is already much higher than that of the air. Cooking it in a humid (steamy) atmosphere can only slow the rate at which the meat loses moisture. It can't add moisture to the meat.

Unless of course at the beginning of the cook, the moisture content of the meat was below the moisture content of the air. In that case, at some point the meat and the cooking atmosphere would reach EMC or equilibrium moisture content. But that would be unusual and, I'm betting, not very tasty.

The only way to add moisture to the meat would be brining or injecting.

Dave
                CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                UDS 1.0
                Afterburner
                Weber Performer
                Blue Thermapen
                Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                Auber Smoker Controller
                Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                -
                "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

I'm in the "Heat Sink" only camp, at least for my MES Watt Burners.

I tried Beer, Apple Juice, and a few other things, including water, but I got no flavor from it, and all I got was a little quicker recovery if I open the door.

Most of the time mine is empty, but covered with foil.
                  I do leave it in though, because I figure the MES was designed to have it in, and they tell you to always have your pan in place, even if it's empty.

My 2 pennies,
                  Bear
                  Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                  Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post

Unless of course at the beginning of the cook, the moisture content of the meat was below the moisture content of the air.
                    At that point..what IS your jerky doing BACK in the smoker?
                    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

pack it with sand cover it in foil and call it a heat sink... at least thats what works for me...
                      Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

It can make a difference sometimes if you look at your smoker like a pressure cooker....wont make a lick of difference on a UDS or WSM...MES deal................
                        Last edited by ALX; 06-24-2012, 11:01 PM.

Comment

= heat deflector. ..........Pellet burners got them built in

"Because without beer, things do not seem to go as well"

Comment

Thanks for the discussion. I'm trying to get some friends to take the Masterbuilt off my hands cheap when the Yoder arrives, so I guess its just background info for me now. If I cant hock it to a friend, I guess it gets condemned to Craigslist Hell
                            Mike
                            Proud to be I.B.E.W.

Yoder YS640

Comment

Rich nailed it. You won't have any problems with the Yoder, I can't believe how moist the meat is comint off that thing.
                              Mark

Homemade 22 year old "Pro-smoker"
                              Yoder YS640
                              Smoke daddy
                              100% Lumberjack pellets

Comment

Working...
                              X