Diffuser question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diffuser question

How high above my fire basket should my diffuser be given that my basket is 9 inches tall and 12 inches from the bottom of the drum to top of basket?

A few inches ;{) DDave prolly has a spec, but seems I see 4-6 inches or so.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by iRacer View Post
      How high above my fire basket should my diffuser be given that my basket is 9 inches tall and 12 inches from the bottom of the drum to top of basket?
      That's a great question. I wish I knew the answer.

Mine is about 15" from the bottom of the drum. But I'm not saying that's where it should be. Curious to hear where others have theirs.

I have toyed with the idea of moving it up some -- maybe about 20" or 21" from the bottom of the drum. Seems to me a little higher up would allow for more convection currents to form and wouldn't block quite so much heat. Be interested to hear Rich's or BBQ E's thoughts on this line of thinking.

Hope this helps . . . some.

Dave

On Edit: Oh sorry. You asked about how high about the fire basket. Well, you get the idea.
      CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
      UDS 1.0
      Afterburner
      Weber Performer
      Blue Thermapen
      Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
      Auber Smoker Controller
      Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
      -
      "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

oops- I din't read the question... I meant from the top of the basket. Doh.

I'm not gonna question Dave on this, and I'll also bolster the convection thing. You want the diffuser above the heat enough to allow free flow of the heated air.

One COULD prolly fashion a few rods and set them at the bottom, and adjust their length to find an optimum? Dana...someone just yelled yer name...
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
          oops- I din't read the question... I meant from the top of the basket. Doh.
          You answered it properly, Rich. He asked about the measurement from the top of the firebasket. I'm the one that read too fast and answered from the bottom of the drum.

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
          I'll also bolster the convection thing. You want the diffuser above the heat enough to allow free flow of the heated air.
          I've wondered about that but have not drilled the extra set of holes to evaluate it yet.

Dave
          UDS 1.0
          Afterburner
          Weber Performer
          Blue Thermapen
          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
          Auber Smoker Controller
          -

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
            You answered it properly, Rich. He asked about the measurement from the top of the firebasket. I'm the one that read too fast and answered from the bottom of the drum.
            Well, I would think that either dimension would work. I think I'm gonna try 6 inches above the basket and see where that gets me...unless I hear otherwise.

Thanks guys

Comment

I think I'm gonna try 6 inches above the basket and see where that gets me.

Let us know what you think.

What kind of diffuser are you using?

Dave
              UDS 1.0
              Afterburner
              Weber Performer
              Blue Thermapen
              Thermoworks Chef Alarm
              Auber Smoker Controller
              -

Comment

At the moment I'm using a disposable round grill topper layin on top of my basket. I've got a piece of steel cut up the same size round as my grill grates but I'm unsure of the hole sizes I should use. I asked some guy awhile back about hole size and spacing, but he never got back to me.

I've got to make a trip to the restaurant store this week to pick up some jerky racks and I think I just may pick up a 18" pizza pan and run the uni-bit around it for now. I got the whole week off so I gonna experiment a bit. I've got a bunch of those adjustable shelf brackets, gonna burn em off tomorrow and slap em in the drum.

Comment

My charcoal basket is 12" tall and stands on 3" long bolts for legs. I put the diffusers, yep, two of them, right on top of the basket. Each plate is 1/4" thick steel and the openings are different on each so the diffusion can be adjusted. Works great and that 1/2" of steel down there is a GREAT heat sink. I know nothing about heat dispersion, air flow, convection, conduction, infiltration, etc. What I do know is the drum got me a 5th place in ribs at a comp last weekend. Try the plate sitting right on the basket, if that doesn't work for you add some brackets and put it at a different height. Me? I'm kinda lazy and find the easy way to be the right way!

Comment

I asked some guy awhile back about hole size and spacing, but he never got back to me.
                    I hope it wasn't me.

I did use a pizza pan with some extra holes in it awhile back. Couldn't tell you what the spacing is though.

But I'm using these made my SmokeMeister now.

Originally posted by Smokin' Dick View Post
                    Try the plate sitting right on the basket, if that doesn't work for you add some brackets and put it at a different height. Me? I'm kinda lazy and find the easy way to be the right way!
                    The problem I found when putting a plate right on top of the basket was that it really reduced the burn time. I could still do ribs but it was pushing it to do pork shoulders and briskets were out of the question.

With the SmokeMeister diffuser set at about 15" from the bottom of the drum and a 17" x 6" basket of charcoal, I was able to get enough burn time (18 hours+) to do a brisket and burnt ends.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17401

YMMV of course.

Dave
                    UDS 1.0
                    Afterburner
                    Weber Performer
                    Blue Thermapen
                    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                    Auber Smoker Controller
                    -

Comment

LMAO, it was you. It was quite awhile ago. Aint gonna hold it against ya tho

Comment

LMAO, it was you. It was quite awhile ago. Aint gonna hold it against ya tho
                        Oops. Was it a PM?

(DDave checks his PM inbox and sees the PM from iRacer dated 4-29-2012. )

Sorry about that. I remember it now. I got it while I was at a conference in Sacramento and by the time I got back home I forgot about it.

I'll get you those measurements either today or tomorrow. Wife's birthday today so I don't know if I will get a chance today.

Dave
                        UDS 1.0
                        Afterburner
                        Weber Performer
                        Blue Thermapen
                        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                        Auber Smoker Controller
                        -

Comment

PM sent.

If I fail to respond to a PM in the future, feel free to send me a reminder or a swift kick or whatever it takes. That goes for all that may be reading this. I'm always happy to answer questions and don't want anyone to think I'm blowing them off.

Dave
                          UDS 1.0
                          Afterburner
                          Weber Performer
                          Blue Thermapen
                          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                          Auber Smoker Controller
                          -

Comment

Working...
                          X