My Hungarian Goulash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Hungarian Goulash

Let me tell you, this was absolutely amazing.
    I started this on the stove to brown the onions and start the cook on the beef. Then moved it outside to the pit. Pit was full of snow and had to torch it to melt the snow and start the fire.

Ingredients (for 4 persons)
    600 g beef sheen or shoulder, or any tender part of the beef cut into 2x2 cm cubes
    2 tablespoons oil or lard
    2 medium onions, chopped
    2 cloves of garlic
    1-2 carrots, diced
    1-2 cellery leafes
    2 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped, or 1 tbs. tomato paste
    2 fresh green peppers
    2-3 medium potatoes, sliced
    1 tablespoon Hungarian paprika powder (I prefer lots more)
    1 teaspoon ground caraway seed
    1 bayleaf
    ground black pepper and salt according to taste
    water
    For csipetke (Pinched noodles added to goulash or bean soup in Hungary. Csipetke comes from the word csípni, meaning pinch in English, referring to the way of making this noodle):
    1 small egg,
    flour,
    a pinch of salt,
    cc. 1 teaspoon water
    Goulash is hearty enough without csipetke, especially if you eat it with bread, so you can leave csipetke out.

Instructions
    Heat up the oil or lard in a pot and braise the chopped onions in it until they get a nice golden brown colour.
    Sprinkle the braised onions with paprika powder while stirring them to prevent the paprika from burning.

Add the beef cubes and sauté them till they turn white and get a bit of brownish colour as well.

The meat will probably let out its own juice, let the beef-cubes simmer in it while adding the grated or crushed and chopped garlic (grated garlic has stronger flavour), the ground caraway seed, some salt and ground black pepper, the bay leaf, pour water enough to cover the content of the pan and let it simmer on low heat for a while.
    When the meat is half-cooked (approx. in 1,5 hour, but it can take longer depending on the type and quality of the beef) add the diced carrots, and the potatoes, the celery leaf and some more salt if necessary (vegetables tend to call for more salt). You'll probably have to add some more (2-3 cups) water too.
    I also added some smoked pork bones into the pot for some added flavour.

When the vegetables and the meat are almost done add the tomato cubes and the sliced green peppers. Let it cook on low heat for another few minutes. You can remove the lid of the pan if you want the soup to thicken.
    Bring the soup to the boil and add the csipetke dough, it needs about 5 minutes to get cooked.

How to make the csipetke: beat up a small egg, add a pinch of salt and as much flour as you need to knead a stiff dough (you can add some water if necessary).
    Flatten the dough between your palms (to about 1 cm thick) and pinch small, bean-sized pieces from it and add them to the boiling soup. They need about 5 minutes to get cooked.

I am sorry that I didn't take pics of a few steps in between, but was real busy. Here is the finished meal.
    Thank you looking at my Hungarian Goulash.
    sigpic

It looks like a nice rich soup Andy, your's I'm sure, is a traditional goulash, unlike like the one my wife makes where you have to shake it off a serving spoon and on to a plate. Thanks for the recipe.

Comment

Mmmmm... Andy that looks wonderful! Thank you so much for the recipe. Great pictures!!
      jeanie

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
      X