Need a good venison recipe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a good venison recipe.

Hey all it's been a while been pretty busy. I need some help I have my sister,brother,B-I-L nephew and maybe his wife coming up and plan on smoking some venison to go with some other stuff I'll be doing on the grill and need a good venison recipe for the smoker along with a marinade.
    Thanks in advance.
    drewan
    Andy
    sigpic

What cut? I don't bother much any more unless it's a football/hind or backstraps. The rest is sausage.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
      What cut? I don't bother much any more unless it's a football/hind or backstraps. The rest is sausage.
      Roast tender loin and back strap
      Andy
      sigpic

Comment

drewan -

One of our favorite quick go to recipes for venison backstraps or tenderloin is to take and marinade it in milk overnight or about 6 hours - drain that off and then take a bottle of Lawry's Steak & Chop marinade and marinade again. We like to season it up right before going on the grill with some Canadian Steak seasoning. We have had a lot of compliments when done this way.

Super easy!!
        Where to Shop -
        www.OwensBBQ.com

Follow Tatonka Dust on Facebook -
        https://www.facebook.com/TatonkaDust

Comment

If you want to do a whole loin as a roast, get a grill hot at Hell and give it a sear...just get the outside with good marks. bring it in and chill, and make an herb mix. Good breadcrumbs, Garlic, onion, thyme, rosemary. Kosher and CBP. Rub meat with OO and coat. Oven roast till 140 and remove and rest.

Strap slices.. salt/pepper onion garlic. Wrap edge with bacon and grill to your preference.
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by TATONKA3A2 View Post
            drewan -

One of our favorite quick go to recipes for venison backstraps is to take and marinade it in milk overnight or at least 6 hours - drain that off and then take a bottle of Lawry's Steak & Chop marinade and marinade again. We like to season it up right before going on the grill with some Canadian Steak seasoning. We have had a lot of compliments when done this way.

Super easy!!
            Thank you TATONKA I heard about the milk one but never tried it. Just heard that letting it sit in milk will take the wild taste out.
            Andy
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by drewan View Post
              Thank you TATONKA I heard about the milk one but never tried it. Just heard that letting it sit in milk will take the wild taste out.
              Well, if it was an old swamp buck... maybe that will help.

The deer here are not so "wild" and do not need anything other than a good seasoning.

Comment

The deer here are not so "wild" and do not need anything other than a good seasoning.

We love venison and eat a ton of it...Marty and I don't notice it to be "gamey" but there is people out there that can tell. My mom and dad for one can pick out the venison in just about anything. We did backstraps with milk and marinade for them and my dad asked if it was buffalo...it makes a big difference!
                Where to Shop -
                www.OwensBBQ.com

Follow Tatonka Dust on Facebook -
                https://www.facebook.com/TatonkaDust

Comment

Originally posted by drewan View Post
                  weird - why would you want to ?

yeah for me the whole point of different meat is that it tastes like different meat

One thing you might wnat to do if you plan on smoking slow - wrap in bacon. This time of year deer is plenty lean, some nice streaky bacon wrapped round will help keep it moist.

A great marinade for venison is equal amounts of red wine and coke (any brand, but probably not ultra diet) the coke will help tenderise the meat - seriously why people drink this stuff is amystery to me. Clean silverware, clear drains, tenderise meat - sure: but drink it ? You'd need your head looking at.

Anyway, as I was saying:

equal amounts coke and red wine, a good few shakes of worcestershire sauce, some fresh chopped garlic and a good dose of dried italian herbs.
                  Enough to cover the meat. Leave overnight.

Then wrap in bacon for the cook

Keep the marinade, I'd personally cook the meat in alarge foil tray to hang on to any juices.
                  This is then mixed with the marinade, reduced down and redcurrant jelly added to taste. Use quite a lot - you want a sweetish sauce for venison
                  Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                  Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Thanks all I ended up going with a beer marinade for the loins :Guinness stout,brown sugar, garlic, red wine vinag. onion, hot sauce. left out the onion and swapped the rwv for apple cider vinag. Sealed it up with the food saver and in the frige now to sit over night so we will see tomorrow. Keep them coming though I did a search here and didn't really didn't find anything on venison recipe's.
                    Andy
                    sigpic

Comment

yeah for some reason they tend to just turn it into sausage or occasionally jerky round here. Mostly

Those of us for whom venison is a rare and expensive delicacy tend to enjoy it a lot more as a meat in it's own right :-)

But kinda like good steak - it's generally best not messed with too much. A decent wine based marinade, bacon blanket and simple cooking
                      Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                        yeah for some reason they tend to just turn it into sausage or occasionally jerky round here. Mostly

Those of us for whom venison is a rare and expensive delicacy tend to enjoy it a lot more as a meat in it's own right :-)

But kinda like good steak - it's generally best not messed with too much. A decent wine based marinade, bacon blanket and simple cooking
                        Andy
                        sigpic

Comment

Drew,
                          Check this thread out if it's not too late. It's elk, not deer, but a damn good way to smoke either.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20188

Regarding the strong taste of venison, for mule deer it has everything to do with whether or not they are in the rut. If they are, you can't eat the shit. If they are not, I would run it up against elk any day of the week.

Comment

Try SoyVay next time for a marinade. Just aboot any flavor makes for great kebabs.....
                            Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Working...
                            X